New Scoreboard - Construction Progress

RunInRed

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was playing around in photoshop to see how big the structure will be when it is completed. Here is what I came up with if anyone cares.

scoreboard_mock.jpg

72963-mother-of-god-super-troopers-m-wxua.jpeg

So...who is going to be the first person busted trying to a PlayStation into that thing....

hah hah hah

:wareagle:

So...who is going to be the first person busted trying to a PlayStation into that thing....

hah hah hah

Don't be ridiculous. Since Madden and Microsoft have a deal, CLEARLY people will be caught busting in to play their Xbox on this thing.

Also, can Movie Nights in Jordan-Hare become a thing now? I think that would be a pretty dang awesome way to watch a movie... Interstellar anybody??

hah hah hah

Busted? Heck, they're gonna let recruits have video game tournaments during Big Cat Weekend. (At least they should.)

I was playing around in photoshop to see how big the structure will be when it is completed. Here is what I came up with if anyone cares.

scoreboard_mock.jpg

You inspired me to update my signature pic:

gallery_33175_34_157296.png

Naw, you need to put Aubie up there kicking Big Al off of it!!!

Here you go.

scoreboard_mock_3.jpg

LOVE IT!!!!!

A few more details ...

556734c95cb4a_image.jpg

The support structure for the board will measure 66 feet high by 200 feet wide. On top of that, a 33-foot high by 68-foot wide audio cabinet will be installed. Fireworks platforms will also be built out to the sides of the audio cabinet.

"It's to balance it out so it doesn't look like there's kind of this knob on top of the board," said design project manager Gregory Forthofer, who added that progress is going well and that the support structure will be finished at some point in June, after which the LED panels will be installed. The project completion date is set for Aug. 28.

A row of advertisement signs will go below the video board, as will the game clock, which won't be part of the LED display as it was with the previous board.

Associate Athletic Director Cassie Arner said that the Athletic Department feels good about the progress being made and that the video board will present opportunities to increase the quality and type of content shown to fans during games.

"It does give us the opportunity to look at different ways to view our content, whether we’re showing split screen — our game and another game in progress," Arner said. "We can show like a RedZone-type channel that you see on Direct TV. We’re looking into a lot of different things we can do that our fans would find enjoyable while they’re watching our game at the stadium."

Arner said the new sound system will be a single-source system, as opposed to point-to-point.

"A new sound system is something our fans have continuously put on their end-of-the-year surveys as wanting to see upgraded," she said.

http://www.auburnvil...7f21800208.html

So, it appears this rendering is accurate ...

CEarLC0UMAAQEfs.jpg

Arner said the new sound system will be a single-source system, as opposed to point-to-point.

I am by no means a sound engineer, but if this means what I think it means, I'm a little disappointed. I believe a single-source system means that we’ll have a huge wad of speakers on top of the south end zone and those speakers will deliver the sound to the entire stadium. As much as I detest the stadium in tuscaloosa, they have a much better sound system with speakers all over the stadium, and I believe that’s the point-to-point Arner was addressing in this quote.

The inverse square law dictates that, because sound is spreading in multiple directions, its perceived volume diminishes by half whenever the distance between an audio source to its receiver is doubled. So the sound will need to be really loud in the south end zone to make it easy to hear in the north end zone.

One disadvantage of having a single-source system is that it is more difficult to sync with the video board. Because light travels faster than sound, the people in the soon to be built north end zone premium seating area will see a disconnect between the image on the video board and the sound that accompanies the video – while the people directly under the video board will not be exposed to the same lag time. However, if they add speakers for the premium seating area, you will get an echo between the south end zone single-source speakers and the premium seating speakers.

Maybe there’s technology that will address this issue that I’m not aware of, but I was really hoping for speakers spread all over the stadium instead of a large clump of speakers.

I would think the single sound system would operate similar to a sound bar on a home theater set up. It should be fine, but I like the idea of spreading speakers out, but I would think that would cost much more. As long as the speakers can handle the volume (I assume they will be very high quality), it should do fine. You are essentially pumping sound into a bowl.

I am by no means a sound engineer, but if this means what I think it means, I'm a little disappointed. I believe a single-source system means that we’ll have a huge wad of speakers on top of the south end zone and those speakers will deliver the sound to the entire stadium. As much as I detest the stadium in tuscaloosa, they have a much better sound system with speakers all over the stadium, and I believe that’s the point-to-point Arner was addressing in this quote.

The inverse square law dictates that, because sound is spreading in multiple directions, its perceived volume diminishes by half whenever the distance between an audio source to its receiver is doubled. So the sound will need to be really loud in the south end zone to make it easy to hear in the north end zone.

One disadvantage of having a single-source system is that it is more difficult to sync with the video board. Because light travels faster than sound, the people in the soon to be built north end zone premium seating area will see a disconnect between the image on the video board and the sound that accompanies the video – while the people directly under the video board will not be exposed to the same lag time. However, if they add speakers for the premium seating area, you will get an echo between the south end zone single-source speakers and the premium seating speakers.

Maybe there’s technology that will address this issue that I’m not aware of, but I was really hoping for speakers spread all over the stadium instead of a large clump of speakers.

So basically once they put the speakers on top of this sky scraper, people on the space station will have a better experience than people in the front rows of the North end zone.

Archived