New Scoreboard - Construction Progress

RunInRed

More fun with photoshop ...

CGNsdXAUkAE3bky.jpg

Anyone else getting the feeling that this thing may be too big?

I mean there are going to be some awfully strong winds blowing against that scoreboard in a storm.

Just call me a worrier, but that is one awesomely oversized scoreboard.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More fun with photoshop ...

CGNsdXAUkAE3bky.jpg

Anyone else getting the feeling that this thing may be too big?

I mean there are going to be some awfully strong winds blowing against that scoreboard in a storm.

Just call me a worrier, but that is one awesomely oversized scoreboard.

There is no such thing as a video screen that's too big. Seriously though, I'm sure the engineering has taken all that into account.

I had a few of those same thoughts myself. When you look at that pic earlier in the thread of the Jaguars new jumbotron, you can see triangular support columns behind it, from ground level to the top, spaced out over the entire length. After you see something like that, it does give you pause when you see the last 3 sections on either end of ours without vertical support behind it going from the top to ground level.

It could be the shearing strength of this design has something to do with the angles and placement of all those cross beams. Maybe one of our structural engineering students can shed some light on it for us.

I had a few of those same thoughts myself. When you look at that pic earlier in the thread of the Jaguars new jumbotron, you can see triangular support columns behind it, from ground level to the top, spaced out over the entire length. After you see something like that, it does give you pause when you see the last 3 sections on either end of ours without vertical support behind it going from the top to ground level.

It could be the shearing strength of this design has something to do with the angles and placement of all those cross beams. Maybe one of our structural engineering students can shed some light on it for us.

Jaguars board had to sustain hurricane winds in the structure. Ours doesn't.

actually ours does too. There's been hurricane force winds in Auburn when a storm lands on the gulf coast from say Biloxi to tallahassee.

No way we have not done proper studies. Quit worrying folks.

And... the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark was built by amateurs...

And... the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark was built by amateurs...

The Ark had the best higher management involved.

The Ark had the best higher management involved.

Indeed!

actually ours does too. There's been hurricane force winds in Auburn when a storm lands on the gulf coast from say Biloxi to tallahassee.

I worked in emergency management in Lee County for almost 5 years, about the strongest winds we ever saw were in the 80-100 mph range from hurricanes and/or supercell thunderstorms. Of course, there is chance for greater winds than that, i.e. Tornadic winds so they are accounting for those I'm sure by the looks of this structure. It is mind blowing how huge this board is going to be!!

Keith even got the comparison shot I was looking for earlier, cool.

May 8th, 2015- RunInRed, page 30.

CEhLpKlW8AA_HEp.jpg

May 31, 2015- Keith Neibuhr 247

3634748.jpg

It's hilarious that everyone is worrying about the screen getting blown away during storms. No way they drop 9-10 mil on this thing without knowing that it'll outlast storms. Anytime you build a structure this big there will be risks, but the risks are so minimal that the ends justify the means. Let's just enjoy having something new and advanced. I'm personally looking forward to a split screen of us winning and Bama getting beat by Arky or something.

So now everyone can see that there are vertical supports past the center structure and this is not a cantilever. We good now?

It's hilarious that everyone is worrying about the screen getting blown away during storms. No way they drop 9-10 mil on this thing without knowing that it'll outlast storms. Anytime you build a structure this big there will be risks, but the risks are so minimal that the ends justify the means. Let's just enjoy having something new and advanced. I'm personally looking forward to a split screen of us winning and Bama getting beat by Arky or something.

:big:

au_bsci_04, Posted Today, 01:31 PM:

So now everyone can see that there are vertical supports past the center structure and this is not a cantilever. We good now ?

===========================================================================================

Uh no. ;D

I can't speak for DKW86 but for me it was an academic question, never a worry. We all knew it wasn't a cantilever since it rested on the existing columns, that wasn't the question.

The tower provides backing support (horizontal shear) from the top to ground level. In addition, the horizontal members angled at 45 degrees on either side of the tower to the panel deck (pic I posted, #464 above), provide a certain degree of shear support for those sections.

However, the outer 3 sections on either end have no backing support such as a column or structure behind them from the top down to ground level. I am actually curious about that.

So far, in response we have heard, "don't worry" (I'm not) or "they wouldn't spend millions" (thank you) or "it doesn't have to withstand a hurricane" (dunno). But, I'm actually looking for something a little more specific than that. Hopefully one of our engineers can provide a more technical answer.

The academic question is:

What gives the structure the required horizontal shearing support on the outer sections of the panel deck (especially closer to the ends) to be able to withstand the highest wind conditions used in their model ?

So now everyone can see that there are vertical supports past the center structure and this is not a cantilever. We good now ?

===========================================================================================

Uh no. ;D

I can't speak for DKW86 but for me it was an academic question, never a worry. We all knew it wasn't a cantilever since it rested on the existing columns, that wasn't the question.

The tower provides backing support (horizontal sheer) from the top to ground level. In addition, the horizontal members angled at 45 degrees on either side of the tower to the panel deck (pic I posted, #464 above), provide a certain degree of sheer support for those sections.

However, the outer 3 sections on either end have no backing support such as a column or structure behind them from the top down to ground level. I am actually curious about that.

So far, in response we have heard, "don't worry" (I'm not) or "they wouldn't spend millions" (thank you) or "it doesn't have to withstand a hurricane" (dunno). But, I'm actually looking for something a little more specific than that. Hopefully one of our engineers can provide a more technical answer.

What gives the structure the required horizontal sheer support on the outer sections of the panel deck (especially closer to the ends) to be able to withstand the highest wind conditions used in their model ?

It's obvious to me, between your engineering and financial info, you are way to intelligent for this board. Lol! I enjoy reading your posts, please keep it up!

Uh no. ;D

The tower provides backing support (horizontal sheer) from the top to ground level. In addition, the horizontal members angled at 45 degrees on either side of the tower to the panel deck (pic I posted, #464 above), provide a certain degree of sheer support for those sections.

What gives the structure the required horizontal sheer support on the outer sections of the panel deck (especially closer to the ends) to be able to withstand the highest wind conditions used in their model ?

It's obvious to me, between your engineering and financial info, you are way to intelligent for this board. Lol! I enjoy reading your posts, please keep it up!

Sounds like sheer nonsense to me.

;)

Additional info on scoreboard:

• Will incorporate (9) 20'x50' 12mm HD screens @ 3,400 lbs each w/ an active display area of 56'x190'
  • Chase behind video boards to be fully ducted, sourced by (3) 10T units providing a required total of 30T of cooling
  • Overall structure sizing 201'x105'
  • Speaker section 15'x50'
  • 8'x12' camera bay/fireworks platform at the top corner of each side
  • Backside will be enclosed with 2" insulated metal panels with the field color being a bronze and accent bands in tan
  • There does not appear to be any additional structural framing on the sides other than the connection to the existing vertical columns (2 on each side)
  • There does not seem to be any structural sheathing being installed, so my assumption is that any horizontal shear loads are being designed into the cross-bracing.

Photos ...

8_Owj_C1k.jpg

8exw_QKn.jpg

image.jpg

f_JOHXGn.jpg

1m7_EPw_L.jpgJKJCcf_D.jpg

Additional info on scoreboard:

• Will incorporate (9) 20'x50' 12mm HD screens @ 3,400 lbs each w/ an active display area of 56'x190'
  • Chase behind video boards to be fully ducted, sourced by (3) 10T units providing a required total of 30T of cooling
  • Overall structure sizing 201'x105'
  • Speaker section 15'x50'
  • 8'x12' camera bay/fireworks platform at the top corner of each side
  • Backside will be enclosed with 2" insulated metal panels with the field color being a bronze and accent bands in tan
  • There does not appear to be any additional structural framing on the sides other than the connection to the existing vertical columns (2 on each side)
  • There does not seem to be any structural sheathing being installed, so my assumption is that any horizontal shear loads are being designed into the cross-bracing.

I'll try to upload some photos.

I was hoping it would have all that stuff. Fantastic news.

Archived