New Scoreboard - Construction Progress

RunInRed

Weird question...

Does a video this massive emit radiation or electromagnetic fields that could be harmful to those sitting near it?

Is that a thing? lol

Not any more than the lights over the playing field

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will the sound only come from the top of the new video board or will there be additional speakers around Jordan Hare ?

Just the one, but it will still sound great.

No, there's gonna be quite a few additional (much smaller) speakers, many of them on a delay line (to account for the speed of sound and the time it takes for sound from the main array to reach the same area so as not to start sounding like an echo or slap delay) covering areas that are "shadowed" or otherwise not well served by the direct sound. WIthout that, the audio system would truly be...not great.

awesome, that makes a lot of sense.

I was trying to find something familiar for a size reference to help me get a better idea of just how big the new scoreboard is. I think this does a pretty good job.

med_gallery_46581_193_24635.png

Weird question...

Does a video this massive emit radiation or electromagnetic fields that could be harmful to those sitting near it?

Is that a thing? lol

Please tell me you are joking.

If not joking your computer, iPhone, IPad will emit this radiation you fear; so better log off and stay off.

Weird question...

Is that a thing? lol

I did read where the heat from this video board would toast a piece of bread if you held the bread two feet from the screen.

Weird question...

Is that a thing? lol

I did read where the heat from this video board would toast a piece of bread if you held the bread two feet from the screen.

You are safe. None of the radiation is at high enough frequencies to break those DNA bonds. :) The most they can do is generate a little local heat. My thinking is you are in much more danger having a heart attack by something they show on the screen than by any emitted radiation. BTW: cell phones are also safe, unless you use them while you drive of course.

Weird question...

Is that a thing? lol

You are safe. None of the radiation is at high enough frequencies to break those DNA bonds. :)/> The most they can do is generate a little local heat. My thinking is you are in much more danger having a heart attack by something they show on the screen than by any emitted radiation. BTW: cell phones are also safe, unless you use them while you drive of course.

Actually there is an advantage to the radiation. In the event of a power failure the game can continue off the light from the glow of the fans in the South endzone.

Weird question...

Is that a thing? lol

You are safe. None of the radiation is at high enough frequencies to break those DNA bonds. :)/> The most they can do is generate a little local heat. My thinking is you are in much more danger having a heart attack by something they show on the screen than by any emitted radiation. BTW: cell phones are also safe, unless you use them while you drive of course.

Actually there is an advantage to the radiation. In the event of a power failure the game can continue off the light from the glow of the fans in the South endzone.

crowd.jpg

Cool! Thanks for sharing that perspective.

An Ice Hockey Rink is 200ft by 85ft for another compare/contrast.

I was trying to find something familiar for a size reference to help me get a better idea of just how big the new scoreboard is. I think this does a pretty good job.

med_gallery_46581_193_24635.png

Weird question...

Is that a thing? lol

crowd.jpg

That's IT. See there, look at all the light they put off. HAHA :laugh:

This thing is gonna be a MONSTER! Although Jax State will be the first home opponent this Fall, I'm hoping they will not unleash the full power of this new system until the Miss State game. It'll scare the crap out of anybody playing in our home stadium, and Jax State will be intimidated enough as it is.

Well I have finally had the chance to see this thing in person and I can tell you that, although the pics in this thread are helpful, they just don't do it justice. The size of this thing when you stand beside it is hard to wrap your head around.

This.

I drove over today. Wow.

Will the sound only come from the top of the new video board or will there be additional speakers around Jordan Hare ?

Just the one, but it will still sound great.

No, there's gonna be quite a few additional (much smaller) speakers, many of them on a delay line (to account for the speed of sound and the time it takes for sound from the main array to reach the same area so as not to start sounding like an echo or slap delay) covering areas that are "shadowed" or otherwise not well served by the direct sound. WIthout that, the audio system would truly be...not great.

From the linked press release:

The system will ... provide full-range sound reproduction and clear, intelligible speech creating a powerful audio experience for Auburn fans. Daktronics engineered the audio solution using JBL and Danley Sound Labs products in a centralized scoreboard cluster of full range line arrays and low frequency subwoofers to fit the specific acoustical and structural properties of Jordan-Hare Stadium. Accompanying delay speakers will provide sound to shaded areas along the sidelines.

Trust the engineers. (None of them graduated from Bama. ;) )

I went to AU today with my wife. We drove down from Atlanta and had a great day including a nice lunch at Acre. I took pictures if the video screen actually lit up today with an Auburn screen shot. It is pretty incredible. I would post it but I need someone to tell me how to post pics.

Have to say that the more I see of the system, the better that $13 million price tag looks to me. I'm going to have to plan a trip to a game this season just to see the Aubitron in action. This thing is amazing.

I went to AU today with my wife. We drove down from Atlanta and had a great day including a nice lunch at Acre. I took pictures if the video screen actually lit up today with an Auburn screen shot. It is pretty incredible. I would post it but I need someone to tell me how to post pics.

Good choice.

Have to say that the more I see of the system, the better that $13 million price tag looks to me.

Really good point. I've had the same sorts of thoughts. The proof is in the pudding, of course, but to my untrained eye, this thing looks to be a.) designed well and thoroughly planned, b.) progressing at an impressive pace and c.) technologically more advanced than what I would have imagined.

I will be heading to Auburn to see it this season (and watch a football game).

Have to say that the more I see of the system, the better that $13 million price tag looks to me.

Really good point. I've had the same sorts of thoughts. The proof is in the pudding, of course, but to my untrained eye, this thing looks to be a.) designed well and thoroughly planned, b.) progressing at an impressive pace and c.) technologically more advanced than what I would have imagined.

I will be heading to Auburn to see it this season (and watch a football game).

The scoreboard will become a tourist attraction in its own right

Can you imagine watching Auburn play in the national championship game on that video board.

Put about 40,000+ in the stadium to watch the game and it would be almost as much fun as being at the game......and I expect a darn sight less expensive.

Archived