New Scoreboard - Construction Progress

RunInRed

My family and I went through Auburn this afternoon and both of my boys were in shock. Pictures do not show the scale of this thing... it is truly amazing and something we will be proud of on Saturdays

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More on the sound system ...

College football’s largest video board being constructed in Auburn University’s Jordan-Hare stadium will feature a state-of-the-art sound system to bring fans a clearer, cleaner sound experience for the 2015 football season.

Designed by Daktronics, a well-known audio-visual systems and implementation company, the new sound system will complement the video board for a sensory experience unlike any other in college football.

"This sound system is in the top 10 percent, output wise, our company has ever designed," said David Sturzenbecher, Daktronics project engineer for sound. The video board and speaker array are designed to keep the sound energy off of the glass within Jordan-Hare. The previous sound system had few output directions, resulting in the sound bouncing off of the glass-windowed boxes and distorting it depending on where fans sat in the stands.

"The taller the speaker array is, the more directionality you can get from it," Sturzenbecher said. "On this board, the arrays are very, very tall. That allows us to have better control over the sound throughout the stadium."

Auburn fans can rest assured sitting directly under the board will not affect the sound quality as with the previous system. The speaker locker above the video board actually sits in front of the board itself. With the special speaker array, Sturzenbaecher says some speakers will be pointed down to give those affected sections the same listening experience as if they were on the wings of the board or across the field.

"Our goal is +/- 3 decibels at any location in the stadium," Sturzenbecher said. "It's a very similar sound level and quality if you’re directly beneath the board."

The previous system in Jordan-Hare Stadium had an analog mixing console and analog signal transmissions to the amplifiers. The new design is completely digital and creates a much improved sound quality, Sturzenbecher said.

"Being completely digital allows us to do some pretty unique things from the mixing table that we didn't have the opportunity to do with the old system. We can cut out the low end and mud from vocals to make them more intelligible. We don't route vocals through the subwoofers anymore. The subs will be 100 percent just for music."

Fine tuning a system as advanced as this will take time, nearly two weeks of white sound testing will occur before Auburn kicks off against Jacksonville State Sept. 12.

Auburn University’s Facilities Management Design Project Manager Gregory Forthofer says once the construction, testing and tuning are complete he expects fans to enjoy the video and sound system for many seasons to come.

"Paired with the video board, the new sound system will create a unique fan experience within Jordan-Hare," Forthofer said. "The fan experience will be unlike anything in college football and make Auburn one of the premiere game day atmospheres in the nation."

http://www.auburn.edu/administration/facilities/about_us/news/jordan-hare-stadium-sound-system/

To be honest i am more excited about the new sound system which was sorely needed.

Ps. The other scoreboard looks hilarious by comparison. That high school thing will never be changed!

After next football season, we will never see that eye-sore again.

I'm also excited about the full-length banners on the upper decks. I think those will look pretty sweet.

Can anyone post a comparison photo of the banners? I can't imagine this.

11694854_10103103246426151_18106434864635600_n.jpg

+ or - 3 db anywhere in the stadium is impressive

Compare that to Bryant-Denny and you'll hear thousands of different DB's all around you

Compare that to Bryant-Denny and you'll hear thousands of different DB's all around you

In Bryant Denny all I ever hear is thousands of DA's

Nominated.

To be honest i am more excited about the new sound system which was sorely needed.

Ps. The other scoreboard looks hilarious by comparison. That high school thing will never be changed!

After next football season, we will never see that eye-sore again.

I'm also excited about the full-length banners on the upper decks. I think those will look pretty sweet.

Can anyone post a comparison photo of the banners? I can't imagine this.

11694854_10103103246426151_18106434864635600_n.jpg

What's going on with the bleachers on the left?

I hear ten's of thousands of "DH's" in bryant denny.

There's been no noticeable changes to the structure in what seems like a week. I guess obsessively checking up on it needs to be chilled out a little bit.

I'm almost more geeked out by what's going on inside this thing.

I apologize if I've missed it in a link/quote above, but does anyone have any info on the system that drives this thing? Is it a massive server? Is it located in the "shell" as well?

In addition, any photos of the massive undertaking of cabling all of these individual screens together would be of interest to me.

/nerd

I apologize if I've missed it in a link/quote above, but does anyone have any info on the system that drives this thing? Is it a massive server? Is it located in the "shell" as well?

In addition, any photos of the massive undertaking of cabling all of these individual screens together would be of interest to me.

/nerd

I would assume that all of the computers controlling the individual panels would be in the shell itself, most likely near the middle. Any time that you add any length of cable (fiber optic, whatever), you are adding some lag to the system, because the energy passing through the wire is not instantaneous. Obviously, this is more minimal in fiber optic cable, because the data travels using light, and can therefore travel at the speed of light, but when using conventional cables (such as an HDMI chord), the energy takes more time to travel. Now, this probably won't make a difference, and I'd be shocked if they hadn't done some sort of preliminary investigation into the amount of lag the board would have, but the amount of lag would be minimized by putting the control system as close to every panel as possible, i.e. middle of the board both vertically and horizontally.

The game clock looks so dinky!!! Will anyone be able to find it amongst the hugeness of the board???

That's a "relative to" kind of dinky. ;D

/nerd

I would assume that all of the computers controlling the individual panels would be in the shell itself, most likely near the middle. Any time that you add any length of cable (fiber optic, whatever), you are adding some lag to the system, because the energy passing through the wire is not instantaneous. Obviously, this is more minimal in fiber optic cable, because the data travels using light, and can therefore travel at the speed of light, but when using conventional cables (such as an HDMI chord), the energy takes more time to travel. Now, this probably won't make a difference, and I'd be shocked if they hadn't done some sort of preliminary investigation into the amount of lag the board would have, but the amount of lag would be minimized by putting the control system as close to every panel as possible, i.e. middle of the board both vertically and horizontally.

stephen-stucker.jpg

I just hope it's not this guy running it. He did a lousy job with the game clock last year.

I see they're making progress cladding the center tower now. Nice pic Logan, thanks.

Galaxy S6 surprisngly takes excellent pictures. I'll try and get pictures every couple days at that same spot.

Why does the parking lot look like that?

I'm not really sure. I would imagine they won't really mess with it until the entire project with that parking lot and the coliseum are started.

Archived