2016 5* LB Ben Davis (Bama signee)

RunInRed

We will be more than "OK" at DT. I also think we have better young talent at LB than many want to give us credit for. Understandably, they haven't played yet, so we shall see.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its comical to me that we go through this "sky is falling" through the summer and then end up more than good come winter. Its cyclical and never seems to change. But more on topic, yes Muschamp, Lance, T-rob to a degree are well known. However none have been here since January, 3rd 2008. Couple that with the fact that no one believes Muschamp will be here through these kid's entire college career, and only being here a few months and i think you can see why people are a little hesitant to just jump right on board in June/July. Not to mention a lot of 4-5* talent like to wait just a smidge longer to commit.

Not Davis specifically, BUT: Last year we heard a lot about how "the '16 class is loaded with 5* LB's and DT's in our primary recruiting areas!" It may be loaded, but so far Auburn hasn't exactly been loading up.

So Mikey, How long does it take to form a relationship with these kids? The coaches have been on board for maybe 7 months tops...and the other staffs have been together longer...plus the negative recruiting that CWM will only be around for a year....That is an uphill battle...I think by signing day we will have some of the guys we wanted...and not to mention scheme change...

Three years ago it didn't take a new staff long to hang on to Lawson and get Monty Adams. Other schools change assistant coaches and don't fall off in recruiting. I'm starting to think the "build relationships" stuff is nothing but a handy excuse, or at least there's a proven way to defeat the alleged disadvantage.

Not Davis specifically, BUT: Last year we heard a lot about how "the '16 class is loaded with 5* LB's and DT's in our primary recruiting areas!" It may be loaded, but so far Auburn hasn't exactly been loading up.

So Mikey, How long does it take to form a relationship with these kids? The coaches have been on board for maybe 7 months tops...and the other staffs have been together longer...plus the negative recruiting that CWM will only be around for a year....That is an uphill battle...I think by signing day we will have some of the guys we wanted...and not to mention scheme change...

Three years ago it didn't take a new staff long to hang on to Lawson and get Monty Adams. Other schools change assistant coaches and don't fall off in recruiting. I'm starting to think the "build relationships" stuff is nothing but a handy excuse, or at least there's a proven way to defeat the alleged disadvantage.

I'm with you there. We very well may be fine in the end- we usually are- but the reasons listed so far don't explain why there are 3 teams just in the SEC West who have at least 5 more commitments and substantially higher-ranked classes than we do.

Again, there might not be anything wrong at the moment per se, but if there is then it's not easily explained away IMO.

You do realize the same coach that did this is is still in AU? It's July. I'd chill a little.

You do realize the disparity between the two situations you are comparing, don't you? The only way that kind of comparison works is if you make it for the class we signed in February, seeing as that's the only similar time frame between being hired and getting signatures from recruits, and we signed four 4 star linebackers then (as well as the top prospect in the country).

However, with this year's class, none of the recruits have to make up their minds definitively until February, so kids taking their time to make sure they know what they are getting into (and how Boom's defense will work when paired with Malzahn's offense) isn't nearly such a stretch.

But any opportunity to pile on negativity is a good one, right Mike?

You want to get commitments from several 4* and 5* players early ? We have the coaches, we have the players, we have the tradition, we have the facilities, we have the fans, but there is one piece missing.

What we don't have, what we really need to take us to that next level in recruiting, is for Auburn to have sustained success, as in 10+ wins 2 or 3 years in a row. Do that and it would complete the package and mean more than how much time any asst. coach may or may not have with a target recruit. Do that and those top recruits will be lined up.

What we have now is up and down seasons along with subpar defenses for several years. We were actually about to break through last year, but, that 5 game defensive collapse really hurt. It was a setback. If we had finished with 10+ wins, we would have much more recruiting momentum right now. But what helps is that Gus did something about it, in a big way.

We will still be ok but we need some sustained success to reach the next level. The good news is I think we have taken the steps to do just that.

Worry much? We have yet to play a game with our new DC paired with Gus. Re-evaluate at midseason. We may have more decommits, but we will have several more commits. I often agree with your logic, but the timing of your pessimism is ridiculous.

You want to get commitments from several 4* and 5* players early ? We have the coaches, we have the players, we have the tradition, we have the facilities, we have the fans, but there is one piece missing.

What we don't have, what we really need to take us to that next level in recruiting, is for Auburn to have sustained success, as in 10+ wins 3 years in a row. Do that and it would complete the package and mean more than how much time any asst. coach may have with a target recruit. Do that and those top recruits will be lined up.

What we have now is up and down seasons along with subpar defenses for several years. We were actually about to break through last year, but, that 5 game losing streak really hurt and set us back. If we had finished with 10+ wins, we would have much more recruiting momentum right now. We will still be ok but we need some sustained success to reach the next level. I also think we have taken the steps to do just that and that is the good news.

Agreed, IronMan. Sustained success and another Natty in the next few years (preferably as soon as this season) and we'll really have the ball rolling.

Being (currently) 4th in a seven-team SEC West is a pretty good opportunity to be concerned. However, I'm a live and let live kind of guy. Those that think being 4th is perfectly fine should hold a street dance with the band playing "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

Being (currently) 4th in a seven-team SEC West is a pretty good opportunity to be concerned. However, I'm a live and let live kind of guy. Those that think being 4th is perfectly fine should hold a street dance with the band playing "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

And those that think recruiting is something to get their panties in a twist about when the previous NSD is closer on the calendar than the next one is should hide out in a bunker and listen to Alex Jones while waiting for the world to end.

Also, for the record, that same staff you were lauding for landing Lawson and Adams three years ago has put together a top 10 class, per 247Composite, in each of the three seasons they have been here. But please, feel free to wail and gnash your teeth about how the sky is falling because you aren't happy with the way things appear from the grandstands.

And those that think recruiting is something to get their panties in a twist about when the previous NSD is closer on the calendar than the next one is should hide out in a bunker and listen to Alex Jones while waiting for the world to end.

Nah, following recruiting is fun.

Nah, following recruiting is fun.

So if you're having fun, shouldn't YOU be the one dancing in the street to "Don't Worry, Be Happy"?

Oh, wait. I've got it now. It's fun because you enjoy being a negative nancy bemoaning every perceived slight that could possibly be tied to the Auburn Tigers. Or perhaps you just like making everyone else squirm, while you sit back and watch?

Oh, wait. I've got it now. It's fun because you enjoy being a negative nancy bemoaning every perceived slight that could possibly be tied to the Auburn Tigers. Or perhaps you just like making everyone else squirm, while you sit back and watch?

I'm usually pretty sensitive to overly negative posters. I tend not to like it at all. Some folks just say negative things and have no reasons to back up their views. Those are the ones that get to me and strike me as spreading worry for its own sake. I've never read Mikey as doing that, personally. I see a different tone in his posts.

There's a rhyme (almost always accompanied by reasons) to his posting style. He might pick out one thing in particular to complain about -- linebacker play comes to mind, for instance -- but then he might also offer another criticism that's related to that one particular thing -- in this case, D recruiting, especially LB and DL. It's not negativity for its own sake.

Now, those saying 'it's early' are right. Not too long ago, many of us thought the DL recruiting (or at least the DT recruiting) was going to hell in a handbasket. WDE wasn't too positive, either. Then he made the first real 'don't worry, be happy' post of this recruiting cycle (albeit with the caveat that potential commits on the DL actually end up signing with Auburn). People change their minds and decide to feel differently about things. Mikey has said repeatedly that he'd begin to change his mind and stop worrying about the LBs once we get an all-SEC player named (maybe he even said second team would do). That's what I mean about the difference in tone. He's consistent, yes; but he's also reasonable and willing to change his mind based on further evidence. I don't think he's just trying to spread worry or negativity. He's never been on the fire X bandwagon, for instance.

The fact is, the LB recruiting looks to be in some trouble from the outside right now (emphasis on both 'from the outside' and 'right now'). That's why I bumped the Davis thread and the 2016 LB thread. But it IS early still; and we'd all do well to remember the general feeling of a few weeks ago that the DL (especially DT) recruiting was terrible. See how quickly that changed? It may change back again after signing day. We'll see.

Now, Mikey is not one to change his mind so quickly. He's going to need some hard evidence to change his mind. A LB has to be named to the all-SEC team before he's going to do it. But that doesn't mean he's a negatiger.

Put differently, I just don't see you characterizing him (mischaracterizing him, IMO) as a negative-waves-spreader as an effective way to get him to change his mind.

I know we all hope the D forces Mikey to change his tune somewhat this season. 'We all' includes Mikey, I'm confident. I look forward to an ongoing discussion between you two and the rest of us about how much the LBs have improved and how much better the D looks overall.

War Eagle!

I'm usually pretty sensitive to overly negative posters. I tend not to like it at all. Some folks just say negative things and have no reasons to back up their views. Those are the ones that get to me and strike me as spreading worry for its own sake. I've never read Mikey as doing that, personally. I see a different tone in his posts.

There's a rhyme (almost always accompanied by reasons) to his posting style. He might pick out one thing in particular to complain about -- linebacker play comes to mind, for instance -- but then he might also offer another criticism that's related to that one particular thing -- in this case, D recruiting, especially LB and DL. It's not negativity for its own sake.

Now, those saying 'it's early' are right. Not too long ago, many of us thought the DL recruiting (or at least the DT recruiting) was going to hell in a handbasket. WDE wasn't too positive, either. Then he made the first real 'don't worry, be happy' post of this recruiting cycle (albeit with the caveat that potential commits on the DL actually end up signing with Auburn). People change their minds and decide to feel differently about things. Mikey has said repeatedly that he'd begin to change his mind and stop worrying about the LBs once we get an all-SEC player named (maybe he even said second team would do). That's what I mean about the difference in tone. He's consistent, yes; but he's also reasonable and willing to change his mind based on further evidence. I don't think he's just trying to spread worry or negativity. He's never been on the fire X bandwagon, for instance.

The fact is, the LB recruiting looks to be in some trouble from the outside right now (emphasis on both 'from the outside' and 'right now'). That's why I bumped the Davis thread and the 2016 LB thread. But it IS early still; and we'd all do well to remember the general feeling of a few weeks ago that the DL (especially DT) recruiting was terrible. See how quickly that changed? It may change back again after signing day. We'll see.

Now, Mikey is not one to change his mind so quickly. He's going to need some hard evidence to change his mind. A LB has to be named to the all-SEC team before he's going to do it. But that doesn't mean he's a negatiger.

Put differently, I just don't see you characterizing him (mischaracterizing him, IMO) as a negative-waves-spreader as an effective way to get him to change his mind.

I know we all hope the D forces Mikey to change his tune somewhat this season. 'We all' includes Mikey, I'm confident. I look forward to an ongoing discussion between you two and the rest of us about how much the LBs have improved and how much better the D looks overall.

War Eagle!

The biggest problem I have, and have had, with him is the way his posts so often seem to be an attempt to shoot down any kind of positive vibe that anyone else might have.

Put differently, I just don't see him characterizing everything from a negative perspective as a particularly good influence on the way others on this site view things. No matter what I have done to counter his arguments, and no matter how much sense I have made with my counter-arguments, I can't remember his ever having backed down. I'm sure the same could be said for me with regard to my interactions with him, but then again, my job is to moderate the boards and try to keep negativity to a minimum. I don't think we should be overrun by sunshine pumpers, but then again, I don't think we should be overrun by the doubting Thomas breed of fan, either.

For the record, I don't actually think he is anything other than an Auburn fan. He's been around too long not to have slipped and made some kind of mistake that someone would have picked up on by now, and he does know plenty about Auburn to legitimize himself as a Tiger.

However, in clicking on another thread that I'd not been a part of since February, I was reminded that even when Frost and McKinzy played a good game, he refused to give them due credit because one of the outside safeties (the ones who routinely played close to the line, essentially as hybrids replacing the OLBs in xCEJ's 4-2-5 modification of the old 4-4) was the team leader in tackles. Kris Frost is preseason All-SEC, and I'm still not sure I've ever seen a positive comment about him come from Mikey.

Consistent? Yes. Rhyme and/or reason? To some extent sure. Optimism? That's not something I've seen much of at all from him.

But defend it however you like, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion every bit as much as he is.

War Eagle!

The biggest problem I have, and have had, with him is the way his posts so often seem to be an attempt to shoot down any kind of positive vibe that anyone else might have.

I guess this is where I read Mikey differently. An eternal optimist he is not; I'll grant that for sure. He's more of a 'show me' type; he's a skeptic. But I think he's perfectly fine with other folks thinking what they want to think, as well as their attempting to send out positive waves. I believe he really is a 'live and let live' kind of guy. I also believe he really will change his tune if we see marked improvement from the linebackers this season.

Anyway, not trying to turn this into a 'let's psychoanalyze Mikey' thread. I only bumped this one to see whether there had been any changes surrounding Davis. Since the answer seems to be 'no', the real discussion about LB recruiting now is happening in the main 2016 LB thread ....

I agree with your assessment, AUbritt. And I don't think we'll need to wait much longer for Mikey to feel a little better about our current personnel.

It would be super cool to pull a guy like Davis from the dark side. We've won a few battles that we didn't use to, but that would be a different kind of win.

War Eagle!

Lots of "don't worry" coming from the staff but I'm still a little concerned about the DL & LBer recruiting. Losing Tre hurts. The kid from TN is going to play with his brother who the Vols hired. Nothing you can do about that. Now Wilson is visiting. Don't know what to think about that. He has recruiting for uat at almost everywhere he has visited. AU needs top get A. Jackson to commit ASAP IMO.

I agree with your assessment, AUbritt. And I don't think we'll need to wait much longer for Mikey to feel a little better about our current personnel.

It would be super cool to pull a guy like Davis from the dark side. We've won a few battles that we didn't use to, but that would be a different kind of win.

Davis says he is very open to AU. People close to Davis say AU is right there in it. But in the end uat will not lose Davis to AU. They will do whatever they have to to get him or sway him to somewhere else. And I mean they will do anything they have to.

You know, they don't even really have to be voted to an All-SEC team. I'd just like for one or more of them to consistently play at the All-SEC level. We haven't had that type of play since Josh Bynes in 2010.

Like QB on offense, LB is the key to defense. Your defense won't be above average if your LB play is below average.

Recruiting one or at the most two top LB prospects a year doesn't cut it. The "disappointment rate" at the position is well above 50%. We have one solid but unspectacular LB prospect committed at this point and that is not encouraging. Two that we've gone through the allegedly important "relationship building process" with are headed to Clemson and Tennessee.

True, there's a lot of time left but just like in a game, it's already second and long. We're recruiting LB's from behind the chains. (again). Perhaps the best news on the LB recruiting front is that last year signee Jordan Colbert has grown to 226 pounds. That may move him from the expected safety position back to his high school position of LB, where he excelled.

Oh, about the silly "bammer troll" mention: Auburn University School of Agriculture, class of 1969. Me and Wally Tinker got our hands shook by both Harry Philpott and the U. of Tennessee president, who gave our commencement address and announced Tinker as "the guy with five elbows". You can look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls New Encyclopedia.

Like QB on offense, LB is the key to defense.

Sorry, but that just isn't true. The line is the key to both sides of the ball, because games are won or lost in the trenches. Both our linebackers and our secondary looked a lot worse last year than they really were because we couldn't provide a consistent pass rush from the front four. Barrett Trotter took a beating game in and game out because the offensive line didn't protect him. Neither unit works without the big guys up front.

What was Bynes rating out of High School...anyone knows or have an educated guess? Btw if I was a elite LB I would have not considered AU from 2009-2014...reason why ...coaching...like someone said once AU fields a respectable defense I think the recruits will come. Don't think of I was a elite recruit I would have given Ellis or Roof any time of day. Finally there is a legit LB coach and DC, so things are headed in the right direction.

Put differently, I just don't see him characterizing everything from a negative perspective as a particularly good influence on the way others on this site view things. No matter what I have done to counter his arguments, and no matter how much sense I have made with my counter-arguments, I can't remember his ever having backed down. I'm sure the same could be said for me with regard to my interactions with him, but then again, my job is to moderate the boards and try to keep negativity to a minimum. I don't think we should be overrun by sunshine pumpers, but then again, I don't think we should be overrun by the doubting Thomas breed of fan, either.

I'm hopeful that a moderator would be understanding of everyone expressing their own opinion whether it be negative or not so long as they do it in a civilized manner.

Anywho, anyone know if we're recruiting Jamal Couch of Central-Phenix City as a LB (he's committed to FSU as a LB on their board).

Archived