2016 5* LB Ben Davis (Bama signee)

RunInRed

What was Bynes rating out of High School...anyone knows or have an educated guess? Btw if I was a elite LB I would have not considered AU from 2009-2014...reason why ...coaching...like someone said once AU fields a respectable defense I think the recruits will come. Don't think of I was a elite recruit I would have given Ellis or Roof any time of day. Finally there is a legit LB coach and DC, so things are headed in the right direction.

Bynes was a 4* prospect from Broward County, Fl.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like QB on offense, LB is the key to defense.

Sorry, but that just isn't true. The line is the key to both sides of the ball, because games are won or lost in the trenches. Both our linebackers and our secondary looked a lot worse last year than they really were because we couldn't provide a consistent pass rush from the front four. Barrett Trotter took a beating game in and game out because the offensive line didn't protect him. Neither unit works without the big guys up front.

Let me get this straight: Last year our D-line, the most experienced and deepest unit on the entire team, is why the linebacker play was sub-par? One time a guy tried to sell me some beach front property in Idaho. I didn't buy that either.

Oh the DL play was really bad. If you don't think President's inability to hold the edge in the run game had a negative impact on Cass and Kris in run support, you didn't watch UGA or Wisconsin. The DE play was a nightmare. They were as bad in run as they were in pass rush.

Like QB on offense, LB is the key to defense.

Sorry, but that just isn't true. The line is the key to both sides of the ball, because games are won or lost in the trenches. Both our linebackers and our secondary looked a lot worse last year than they really were because we couldn't provide a consistent pass rush from the front four. Barrett Trotter took a beating game in and game out because the offensive line didn't protect him. Neither unit works without the big guys up front.

Let me get this straight: Last year our D-line, the most experienced and deepest unit on the entire team, is why the linebacker play was sub-par? One time a guy tried to sell me some beach front property in Idaho. I didn't buy that either.

No, that's not what I said. You're the one who said the LB play was sub-par; I said the lack of a consistent pass rush is the reason that they looked as badly as they did. I'm sorry you don't believe it, but if you paid attention to Gus during media days, he even said as much. Losing Dee Ford to early entry in the NFL draft was a big blow. Losing Carl Lawson to a season ending injury in the spring was an even bigger blow. And without getting pressure on the QB from the front four, we had to take chances with blitz packages.

This worked great for the first part of the season, including against K-State in Manhattan (which I believe was the game you refused to give the linebackers credit in the first place), but once teams started to catch on, they exploited it.

But hey, you have proven yourself to be AT LEAST as stubborn as I am (which is saying something), so I don't expect you to believe any of it. Will Muschamp could walk up and personally tell you that was precisely the case, and I'd wager you would still argue the point.

We've heard a handful of questions about the defense, and most Malzahn answers begin with something about the pass rush.

I guess this is where I read Mikey differently. An eternal optimist he is not; I'll grant that for sure. He's more of a 'show me' type; he's a skeptic. But I think he's perfectly fine with other folks thinking what they want to think, as well as their attempting to send out positive waves. I believe he really is a 'live and let live' kind of guy. I also believe he really will change his tune if we see marked improvement from the linebackers this season.

Anyway, not trying to turn this into a 'let's psychoanalyze Mikey' thread. I only bumped this one to see whether there had been any changes surrounding Davis. Since the answer seems to be 'no', the real discussion about LB recruiting now is happening in the main 2016 LB thread ....

If he were as much of a "live and let live" guy as you paint him to be, allowing people to think what they want to think and send out positive waves as they please, then I rather doubt you would see him countering those thoughts and positive waves with statements to the effect of nothing ever being good enough. But, again, you are entitled to believe what you want.

I guess this is where I read Mikey differently. An eternal optimist he is not; I'll grant that for sure. He's more of a 'show me' type; he's a skeptic. But I think he's perfectly fine with other folks thinking what they want to think, as well as their attempting to send out positive waves. I believe he really is a 'live and let live' kind of guy. I also believe he really will change his tune if we see marked improvement from the linebackers this season.

Anyway, not trying to turn this into a 'let's psychoanalyze Mikey' thread. I only bumped this one to see whether there had been any changes surrounding Davis. Since the answer seems to be 'no', the real discussion about LB recruiting now is happening in the main 2016 LB thread ....

If he were as much of a "live and let live" guy as you paint him to be, allowing people to think what they want to think and send out positive waves as they please, then I rather doubt you would see him countering those thoughts and positive waves with statements to the effect of nothing ever being good enough. But, again, you are entitled to believe what you want.

My point wasn't that Mikey would agree with everything anyone says, but rather that he would be perfectly fine agreeing to disagree.

Lots of "don't worry" coming from the staff but I'm still a little concerned about the DL & LBer recruiting. Losing Tre hurts. The kid from TN is going to play with his brother who the Vols hired. Nothing you can do about that. Now Wilson is visiting. Don't know what to think about that. He has recruiting for uat at almost everywhere he has visited. AU needs top get A. Jackson to commit ASAP IMO.

I don't know, I just don't see DL and LB recruiting to be as big a deal as most have been making it out to be. Right now we have 8 defensive linemen who are either freshmen or sophmores (including two former 5 star prospects and three former 4 star prospects), as well as 7 linebackers who are either freshmen or sophomores (including one former 5 star and three former 4 stars, provided that Atkinson plays LB, as listed on 247, instead of safety, as listed on scout). Add the commitments we currently have to that total, and we're up to between 17 and 19 players for the front 7 in 2016, depending upon where Atkinson and Steven Davis, Jr. end up playing, without including the juniors who'll be coming back after this season. Not only that, but only 4 of those 15 aforementioned underclassmen are sophomores (albeit two of the three 5 star players are), due to the amount of redshirting we did last year.

Now, obviously, it is still important to recruit well, and I absolutely believe we need to pick up at least one more solid defensive tackle and one more solid linebacker...but it's still six months and an entire football season before NSD. Considering the job Malzahn and his staff have done at Auburn, I feel like they deserve at least a little benefit of the doubt here.

But that's just me.

My point wasn't that Mikey would agree with everything anyone says, but rather that he would be perfectly fine agreeing to disagree.

And my point wasn't that he would or should agree with everything anyone says, but that he has a tendency to counter any positive post about the linebackers with a negative one.

Regardless, however, I'm getting rather tired of defending my reasoning. You quite obviously are unwilling to give ground on the implication that I overstepped my boundaries as a moderator, in spite of the fact that I think I've pretty clearly shown that there was a design to the way I responded, rather than it being the temper tantrum you seem to see it as, considering the way I've composed myself in your persistent defense of him. Kinda goes to show how much you can't win for losing when attempting to moderate a message board.

And my point wasn't that he would or should agree with everything anyone says, but that he has a tendency to counter any positive post about the linebackers with a negative one.

Regardless, however, I'm getting rather tired of defending my reasoning. You quite obviously are unwilling to give ground on the implication that I overstepped my boundaries as a moderator, in spite of the fact that I think I've pretty clearly shown that there was a design to the way I responded, rather than it being the temper tantrum you seem to see it as, considering the way I've composed myself in your persistent defense of him. Kinda goes to show how much you can't win for losing when attempting to moderate a message board.

Red, I never said you overstepped your bounds as a mod. In my opinion, you've got Mikey figured wrong. That's all I said and all I meant.

You're right that he's negative about LB play over the past few seasons, obviously. You're right that he's stubborn, too. He just isn't going to change his mind based on arguments; he's going to wait for a certain level of performance on the field. That doesn't make him a general negatiger or a troll, IMO.

I apologize if I offended you. It wasn't my intention, at all. For the record, I think it's basically a thankless job being a mod. But I appreciate what you and the other mods do to keep the boards running as smoothly as possible.

Red, I never said you overstepped your bounds as a mod. In my opinion, you've got Mikey figured wrong. That's all I said and all I meant.

My apologies; it was ValleyTiger who made the comment I was alluding to. And just for reference, he didn't say that I overstepped my boundaries, either, but he did imply it.

My apologies; it was ValleyTiger who made the comment I was alluding to. And just for reference, he didn't say that I overstepped my boundaries, either, but he did imply it.

No worries.

I don't really want to open the AE transition can of worms, but two thoughts come to mind.

First, there's a different culture here. As I said earlier, I'm pretty sensitive to negative posters, and that was a really good fit with the old AE culture. I've since learned to be more accepting of negative posts (not posters).

Second, Mikey and VT were the two AU Family posters who helped me transition to the merged site best. Honestly, I respect them very much as posters.

I was just trying to help when I interjected in the first place. Not sure if I succeeded, but that was my intention.

Group hug emoji goes here.

These kids have not had great LB coaching since Tubbs left; With the coaching Cass and Frost will receive this season coupled with their experience in SEC play, I anticipate far better LB play but the ultimate benefit for the entire defense will be the luxury of having a better DC and scheme altogether. Once recruits like Davis and others get a glimpse and see a greater opportunity to play, The LB recruiting will become more consistent and better

No worries.

I don't really want to open the transition can of worms, but two thoughts come to mind.

First, there's a different culture here. As I said earlier, I'm pretty sensitive and that was a really good "fit".

Second, Mikey and VT were the two AU Family posters who helped me transition best. Honestly, I respect them very much.

Group hug.

All I got from this.

Back to Ben Davis:

-He is elite

- However, Mikey will not ever have a chance to say "maybe a true freshman should start over him" because he will be at bammer. And when Mikey doesn't have elite talent to send to the bench, he goes from Rob Lowe to creepy, scholarship counting Rob Lowe.

Am I doing this right?

Back to Ben Davis:

-He is elite

- However, Mikey will not ever have a chance to say "maybe a true freshman should start over him" because he will be at bammer. And when Mikey doesn't have elite talent to send to the bench, he goes from Rob Lowe to creepy, scholarship counting Rob Lowe.

Am I doing this right?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yeah, he's like Steve Spurrier, only for linebackers. One single misstep, and you're riding the pine pony until the next two guys screw up. And if one of them happens to turn into a fantastic player who goes on to win the Heisman...err, I mean the Butkus, then you're just outta luck! :poke:

Back to Ben Davis:

-He is elite

Am I doing this right?

He is elite at camps but needs to get more physical on the field. So I'm told.

Back to Ben Davis:

-He is elite

Am I doing this right?

:laugh:/> :laugh:/> :laugh:/> Yeah, he's like Steve Spurrier, only for linebackers. One single misstep, and you're riding the pine pony until the next two guys screw up. And if one of them happens to turn into a fantastic player who goes on to win the Heisman...err, I mean the Butkus, then you're just outta luck! :poke:/>

Mikey has forgotten more about LB's than either of you know. BTW, have you seen our LB play the last several years?

Back to Ben Davis:

-He is elite

Am I doing this right?

:laugh:/> :laugh:/> :laugh:/> Yeah, he's like Steve Spurrier, only for linebackers. One single misstep, and you're riding the pine pony until the next two guys screw up. And if one of them happens to turn into a fantastic player who goes on to win the Heisman...err, I mean the Butkus, then you're just outta luck! :poke:/>

Mikey has forgotten more about LB's than either of you know. BTW, have you seen our LB play the last several years?

No one has.

Back to Ben Davis:

-He is elite

Am I doing this right?

I did NOT see a true freshman start either.

Back to Ben Davis:

-He is elite

Am I doing this right?

No one has.

Okay, that's really funny.

Back to Ben Davis:

-He is elite

Am I doing this right?

Okay, first of all, have we met before? Because otherwise you might want to be careful how much you assume about what I know.

Actually, for that matter, have you met Mikey in person? That's a legitimate question, because you might well have done so, but what makes you so sure that he knows more about linebackers than simply a knowledgeable fan? I'm not saying he doesn't, because I don't know, but what I do know is that he has been nothing but critical of Frost and McKinzy, no matter how well they played (and it wasn't too bad last year, all things considered, or else I doubt they'd both be preseason All-SEC with Kris on the Butkus Award watch list).

And to answer your question, yes, I have. In spite of the fact that his father is a friend of mine, I found myself screaming at Jake Holland over and over. I remember making a joke after he broke up a pass in a game I attended about how out of the ordinary that was (Jake was always more a run stopper than a pass defender).

But whatever. Based upon your reply, I sincerely doubt you'll do anything more than try to debunk what I've said here, seeing as I dared to cross Mikey. :rolleyes:

No need for name calling. If you can't form a thought without cursing then stop posting

Archived