Charleston police officer shoots man in back

cooltigger21

This happened Saturday. Surprised nothing has been reported more widely. The incident was caught on video. The officer has been charged with murder and the DOJ is opening a civil rights investigation. http://www.ijreview.com/2015/04/291009-charleston-man-shot-police-man-bushes-records-whats-now-called-murder/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_content=conservativedaily&utm_campaign=Crime

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This happened Saturday. Surprised nothing has been reported more widely. The incident was caught on video. The officer has been charged with murder and the DOJ is opening a civil rights investigation. http://www.ijreview.com/2015/04/291009-charleston-man-shot-police-man-bushes-records-whats-now-called-murder/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_content=conservativedaily&utm_campaign=Crime

I wonder if there is any footage of the initial stop from the patrol car?

Wow. After all that has recently happened in the news this cop still murders someone for no reason. I'm glad he is charged with murder. Should be an easy trial. While this behavior is not widespread, I'm glad the cameras exist so we can acknowledge that it does happen and work towards fixing it. This cop is the scum of the earth and will reap what he sows (likely in prison).

Wow. After all that has recently happened in the news this cop still murders someone for no reason. I'm glad he is charged with murder. Should be an easy trial. While this behavior is not widespread, I'm glad the cameras exist so we can acknowledge that it does happen and work towards fixing it. This cop is the scum of the earth and will reap what he sows (likely in prison).

If they convict him, he will have to be kept away from the general population.

I wonder if there is any footage of the initial stop from the patrol car?

I imagine there is. Very few police cars don't have a dash cam.

Not sure i get the whole 'civil rights ' investigation. I mean, the cop murdered him. Seems clear enough. Not in self defense. So is the charge that he denied him the right to vote ? I don't get it.

If all cops were wearing body cams, I doubt this happens. I just can't understand, in this age of technology, how this can't be a mandate. It is ridiculous.

May God bless the family of Walter Scott.

Does anyone not see the tragic irony of a black man running from a Mercedes ? Not justifying the cold blooded murder by the cop, but didn't the car belong to the man ?

Mr. Scott had been arrested about 10 times, mostly for failing to pay child support or show up for court hearings, according to The Post and Courier newspaper of Charleston. He was arrested in 1987 on an assault and battery charge and convicted in 1991 of possession of a bludgeon, the newspaper reported. Mr. Scott’s brother, Anthony, said he believed Mr. Scott had fled from the police on Saturday because he owed child support.

How many here have been arrested double digit times ?

It was covered on our local news tonight.

Now comes the hard part- getting a conviction out of our typically spineless juries.

For once, the "I feered fur muh life" line didn't work. Where would we be if this wasn't on video?

I just read somewhere that South Carolina has a law that would limit damages in this case to $300,000.

Not sure i get the whole 'civil rights ' investigation. I mean, the cop murdered him. Seems clear enough. Not in self defense. So is the charge that he denied him the right to vote ? I don't get it.

Murder is charged by states. The federal government doesn't have murder charges, so it falls under "civil rights" charges when the Department of Justice is pursuing a case involving a murder.

Now comes the hard part- getting a conviction out of our typically spineless juries.

For once, the "I feered fur muh life" line didn't work. Where would we be if this wasn't on video?

Well the fact that he shot him 8 times in the back would eliminate self defense even without the video.

Murder is charged by states. The federal government doesn't have murder charges, so it falls under "civil rights" charges when the Department of Justice is pursuing a case involving a murder.

For what purpose ? The state clearly has a case and the officer is being charged for murder. What business , other than political, does the Federal govt have in such matters ?

For what purpose ? The state clearly has a case and the officer is being charged for murder. What business , other than political, does the Federal govt have in such matters ?

In this situation, I'm sure the state will be able to adequately handle the case. As to your second question, the DOJ began charging civil rights cases involving violence and murder in the South in the 1950s since the states' judicial systems were failing to justly prosecute individuals involved in the murders of African Americans.

This isn't the 1950s .

We're gonna treat Cuba differently when their govt hasn't changed, but keep treating the South the same , even after 60+ years ?

I'm not seeing separate water fountains, but I AM seeing almost all black mayors & city councils in all major Southern cities.

I would generally agree with that assertion, perhaps there will be enough pressure in this case for the prosecutor to aggressively try it. While I have not seen any video depicting the entire incident, the shooting is at least quite clear and indefensible. The officer's attorney will definitely have a difficult task in coming up with a justification for shooting a man in the back repeatedly.

I would generally agree with that assertion, perhaps there will be enough pressure in this case for the prosecutor to aggressively try it. While I have not seen any video depicting the entire incident, the shooting is at least quite clear and indefensible. The officer's attorney will definitely have a difficult task in coming up with a justification for shooting a man in the back repeatedly.

he was too tired to chase him? Temporary insanity? Anyway,congratulations to the cop haters on finding a legitimate case to pounce on. It is a clear murder. I would have condoned chasing him down and roughing him up, but shooting him several times in the back is murder.

I don't think it's anything you have to worry about when it comes to the prosecutor vigorously making his case. I am quite confident they can find 12 people who are capable of hearing the evidence and rendering a verdict of guilty if the prosecutor proves his case.

he was too tired to chase him? Temporary insanity? Anyway,congratulations to the cop haters on finding a legitimate case to pounce on. It is a clear murder. I would have condoned chas ing him down and roughing him up, but shooting him several times in the back is murder.

How disappointing. You're better than that, alexava. We do support the police, and that means acknowledging misconduct when it occurs and demanding accountability. Anything less than that is a disservice to the vast majority of police who conduct themselves honorably in challenging circumstances.

he was too tired to chase him? Temporary insanity? Anyway,congratulations to the cop haters on finding a legitimate case to pounce on. It is a clear murder. I would have condoned chas ing him down and roughing him up, but shooting him several times in the back is murder.

How disappointing. You're better than that, alexava. We do support the police, and that means acknowledging misconduct when it occurs and demanding accountability. Anything less than that is a disservice to the vast majority of police who conduct themselves honorably in challenging circumstances.

I don't think a lot of progressive openly agree with you, bigben (support law enforcement). A lot of hate out there right now.

CCEP2l9WIAAd8ce.png

Man, that's a staggering statistic.

Not really. How many of those are legit? This country is extremely diverse and incorporates a lot of backgrounds.

Archived