Charleston police officer shoots man in back

cooltigger21

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Deserved life. 19-24 is a joke.

It's something.... I would guess 19-24 for him is gonna be a lot tougher than it is for most people as well.

That’s enough for me. If he could accept responsibility it might help to reduce it a little but the best I remember he stood firm that the shooting was justified. With that attitude he serves it all. 

13 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Second degree murder generally doesn't carry a life sentence.  It wasn't premeditated, it was just a horrible choice in the moment.

13 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I agree that he deserved life.  That said, two decades in prison is no joke, especially not for a former police officer.  I expect he will be assigned to a medium or high security federal prison.  He will most likely serve that sentence in protective custody, which is administrative detention in a federal prison's special housing unit.  If he earns the maximum amount of time off his sentence for good behavior, he will still serve at least 17 years.

In other words, he will likely spend most of the next two decades locked in his cell for 23 hours per day, with limited commissary and phone privileges.

40 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I agree that he deserved life.  That said, two decades in prison is no joke, especially not for a former police officer.  I expect he will be assigned to a medium or high security federal prison.  He will most likely serve that sentence in protective custody, which is administrative detention in a federal prison's special housing unit.  If he earns the maximum amount of time off his sentence for good behavior, he will still serve at least 17 years.

In other words, he will likely spend most of the next two decades locked in his cell for 23 hours per day, with limited commissary and phone privileges.

Unless the charges were tried in a federal court, he'll do the time in the corresponding state prison.

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

Unless the charges were tried in a federal court, he'll do the time in the corresponding state prison.

US District Court, so the Marshalls will be carting him off to the Federal Bureau of Prisons soon. 

That said, I doubt protective custody in a South Carolina state prison is any better than a federal one.

44 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

US District Court, so the Marshalls will be carting him off to the Federal Bureau of Prisons soon. 

That said, I doubt protective custody in a South Carolina state prison is any better than a federal one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/12/07/former-south-carolina-police-officer-who-shot-walter-scott-sentenced-to-20-years/?utm_term=.2a29b1ebdb60

Synopsis: He was originally tried in stated court and there was a dead locked jury. Felt his life was in danger because of the outcome and agreed to a plea in federal court of 2nd Degree Murder and Obstruction removing the possibility of a life sentence. Although, most federal inmates serve a minimum of 85% of their sentence. Federal time is as close to day-for-day as it gets.

17 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/12/07/former-south-carolina-police-officer-who-shot-walter-scott-sentenced-to-20-years/?utm_term=.2a29b1ebdb60

Synopsis: He was originally tried in stated court and there was a dead locked jury. Felt his life was in danger because of the outcome and agreed to a plea in federal court of 2nd Degree Murder and Obstruction removing the possibility of a life sentence. Although, most federal inmates serve a minimum of 85% of their sentence. Federal time is as close to day-for-day as it gets.

Given the absence of parole at the federal level, the only way to shorten a sentence is to accrue good time (54 days per year) or programs like RDAP.  If my math is correct, he will serve at least 17 years even if he accrues maximum good time.

The thing that has me curious is how BOP will classify him.  He could probably serve a sentence without protective custody if BOP sent him to an FCI Low or minimum security camp, but likely not at an FCI Medium or any USP.  Having to spend two decades in administrative detention is one of the worst ways to serve a sentence, but it is better than being beaten to death for being a police officer in prison.

I would assume that they'd place him in segregation. There would be too much liability by putting him in general population. If he was killed or killed somebody in the course of a fight, that'd be a "what's in your wallet" type situation.

13 hours ago, aubearcat said:

Unless it’s drug trafficking. I know folks cut sentences in less than half. Squealing 

On 12/8/2017 at 1:14 PM, aubearcat said:

I would assume that they'd place him in segregation. There would be too much liability by putting him in general population. If he was killed or killed somebody in the course of a fight, that'd be a "what's in your wallet" type situation.

If he ends up scoring low enough to be assigned to an FCI Low or minimum security camp, I think he would be fine in those general population conditions.  The inmates in those facilities are generally non-violent, and not interested in being sent to a much higher security level.

Archived