2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

RunInRed

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Shame since he and his O-Line bretheren are who we need to fix the offense.

They alone won't fix it. We need an identity on O & a QB that matches that identity.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

They alone won't fix it. We need an identity on O & a QB that matches that identity.

True, but the only area where we clearly lack the meat on the hoof is the O-line. Even the QB is personnel is good enough to win if given a game plan that suits their talents. For example, Sean White is every bit as good as McElroy was at bammer.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

I believe, if we had the line to protect Sean, we would have the identity we developed against Arkansas State.  Unfortunately, we can't protect him against a good defense, so we are scrambling to find something that will work without the protection.

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I believe, if we had the line to protect Sean, we would have the identity we developed against Arkansas State.  Unfortunately, we can't protect him against a good defense, so we are scrambling to find something that will work without the protection.

Based on stats in another thread it sounds like a better OL coavh is needed too to coach them up.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Based on stats in another thread it sounds like a better OL coavh is needed too to coach them up.

Agreed.  He hasn't seemed to have much of the effect on the offensive planning that people expected, either.  Other than the Cox wildcat that never works, I've yet to see anything original in the playbook this year.

If Gus survives, he needs to bring in a new OC and let that OC choose his own staff.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If Gus survives, he needs to bring in a new OC and let that OC choose his own staff.

Chances of that happening based on Gus personality & stubbornness in his AU career are about .00001% IMO.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Chances of that happening based on Gus personality & stubbornness in his AU career are about .00001% IMO.

If we have another bad year and he's here next year, he shouldn't have a choice. The right move would be to give him 3 options.  Hire and OC and turn over the offense, keep doing what your doing but deal with constant interference from the AD, or quit and walk away without any payout. Hopefully, with the changes happening up to at Auburn, the AD will have the backbone to play hardball like that.

The truth of the matter is that Gus has done a good job as a head football coach.  He's recruited well, dealt with player problems well, created a strong sense of team, and created an atmosphere that the players love.  What he's also done is completely dropped the ball on the OC front.  I'd be more than happy to keep him as a head coach if he'd hire a rock star OC and let them do their thing. If we're lucky, he sees that too. 

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

If we have another bad year and he's here next year, he shouldn't have a choice. The right move would be to give him 3 options.  Hire and OC and turn over the offense, keep doing what your doing but deal with constant interference from the AD, or quit and walk away without any payout. Hopefully, with the changes happening up to at Auburn, the AD will have the backbone to play hardball like that.

The truth of the matter is that Gus has done a good job as a head football coach.  He's recruited well, dealt with player problems well, created a strong sense of team, and created an atmosphere that the players love.  What he's also done is completely dropped the ball on the OC front.  I'd be more than happy to keep him as a head coach if he'd hire a rock star OC and let them do their thing. If we're lucky, he sees that too. 

You are correct. His recruiting has been stellar when he got here the big need was Defense and with Muschamp and his guys last year we started the defensive turnaround and with new Defensive staff led by Steele Defense seems to have been addressed. The key now is whether we can get the O back on track and like you I think we need a new OC. We need an identity on O.  

• 1 month later...

It came from a  maryland insider and chris nee from fsu who is well connected in florida where ashley used to live. I got to say it was fishy he randomly moved to DC from florida out of the blue. Maybe kevin plank wants to become Maryland footballs phil knight like he has already done for maryland basketball.

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It came from a  maryland insider and chris nee from fsu who is well connected in florida where ashley used to live. I got to say it was fishy he randomly moved to DC from florida out of the blue. Maybe kevin plank wants to become Maryland footballs phil knight like he has already done for maryland basketball.

Well, it's hard to compete if the CEO of Under Armour offers him a little something something under the table. IMO that would be the only possible way he would choose a crappy Maryland team over us.

2 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Well, it's hard to compete if the CEO of Under Armour offers him a little something something under the table. IMO that would be the only possible way he would choose a crappy Maryland team over us.

Plank alma mater is the high school Ashley currently goes to now. Could mean nothing but it def makes you go hmmmmmm.

• 3 weeks later...

Ashley was apparently knocked unconscious in his last game.  He claims to be alright, but they had to take him to the hospital in an ambulance. Fingers crossed our entire O-Line recruiting class isn't cursed.

On 11/2/2016 at 4:54 PM, thaitopher said:

I absolutely agree.  And I went to Maryland.

WDE!

Not only is our team cursed this year it has trickled down to our recruits. I think all of our OL recruits suffered MAJOR injuries this season at one point or another and 2 of them were season ending......... 

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not only is our team cursed this year it has trickled down to our recruits. I think all of our OL recruits suffered MAJOR injuries this season at one point or another and 2 of them were season ending......... 

Troxell's recurring knee injuries are very troubling.

WDE! 

Just now, MadtownTiger said:

Troxell's recurring knee injuries are very troubling.

WDE! 

very. He was gonna redshirt next year regardless probaly but now next year will just be a rehab year for the most part and put his development even more behind kinda like the first prince we got.

Archived