2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

RunInRed

Could be the shortest thread in aufamily history for a comitted 5* athlete ...

The thread has plenty of time to grow. Lol. Lot of people can only take recruiting one class at a time.

I'd really like to know what his strengths are and what great Auburn lineman he can be compared to.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean its nice that he committed to us over somebody else but I just don't think it matters much to kids nowadays. Vast majority have no conception of the meaning. I really think it is a ploy to stir the pot for one reason or another. We'll see.

His strengths?!?!?!?!?

Man ... Don't you know ... The only thing that is important is staaaarrsss, baby!!!!

Christian Westerman says hi

I mean its nice that he committed to us over somebody else but I just don't think it matters much to kids nowadays. Vast majority have no conception of the meaning. I really think it is a ploy to stir the pot for one reason or another. We'll see.

Most still stick.

I really think it is a ploy to stir the pot for one reason or another.

It's not. He's told other team reporters that AU has led for a while. Now we are going to have to recruit like hell to hold onto him but his commitment is genuine right now.

Most still stick.

Yup. About 90%.

Holy Smokes!! This kid is HUGE. HUGE get for the good guys (literally).

If his commitment sticks, he may be the gem of the 2017 class!!

BMatt interviewed the coach of 5* OT commit Calvin Ashley. Solid read Link

AUBURN, Ala. | Rodney Wells knew he had something special the first time he saw a tall, burly ninth-grader stroll into Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando, Fla.

And it wasn't long before Calvin Ashley was cemented as the team's starting left tackle.

"He was a difference-maker the first day he stepped on campus," said Wells, Dr. Phillips' head coach. "He's been a two-year starter, started every game since he got here. His size is what makes him stand out. He's 6-7, 6-8, over 300 pounds and he's athletic. In addition to that, he's a great kid, a humble kid and a hard worker.

"He finishes blocks. He picks up schemes real well. He started at left tackle the first day he stepped on campus and we play at a high level in football. That's never been done in the 13 years I've been at the school."

Ashley helped Dr. Phillips to a 13-1 record last season, advancing to the Class 8A quarterfinals. before being knocked out by Manatee 24-21.

Ashley is already tabbed as a five-star in the 2017 class. He's a candidate to be the nation's top overall prospect.

"The college coaches I talk to, it's almost unanimous, that he's the best offensive tackle in high school right now," Wells said. "He's physical and he's got the size and length everybody looks for at tackle. His arms are so long and he's real flexible -- good hips, good feet -- that he went through all of last season without giving up a sack.

"He's real good in space. We'll run a screen and he can go out and get a corner or a safety. He moves up to the second level very well, unlike a lot of high school offensive linemen."

Auburn's recruitment of Ashley moved quickly. He visited for the A-Day game April 18 and was back for Big Cat last Saturday, when he announced his commitment.

"He went up there by himself earlier and fell in love with it," Wells said. "He liked the coaches, the players and facilities, everything about it. Then a few weeks later he took his parents up there and his parents fell in love with it too and saw what he saw. I guess he felt like that's really where he wanted to be. He was real excited."

Auburn assistant coach Scott Fountain served as Ashley's lead recruiter.

"He did a great job from the moment he took over the area," Wells said. "I know Calvin will be in good hands."

• 1 month later...

https://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1786136

AUBURN, Ala. | Dr. Phillips (Orlando, Fla.) five-star offensive tackle Calvin Ashley doesn't plan to visit any other schools besides Auburn.

There's no need for the 2017 Auburn commit.

"I love Auburn," Ashley said. "I'm 100 percent Auburn."

Ashley, ranked the No. 9 overall player in '17 and No. 2 offensive tackle, spent the weekend in Auburn with approximately 40 fellow recruits at a recruit cookout.

"It was fun. The highlights were the cookout and fishing," Ashley said. "I caught one bream and I also got to talk to other guys."

Mostly uncommitted guys.

"I tell them about the school, my experiences here, the football team is great and doing big things," Ashley said of his pitch to fellow recruits. "Coach Malzahn said it's going to be real big and real special here in three years."

Lashley, 6-foot-8 and 310 pounds, plans to return to Auburn in the fall for multiple games.

"I want to come to as many as possible," Ashley said. "I know I'm coming to the Iron Bowl and I want to come to the Georgia game, too."

Rivals ranks Ashley the No. 2 overall player in Florida in '17.

yep another of my central Fl guys

Good job with Ashley, Golf. He may be our Tez.

• 4 months later...

Archived