2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

RunInRed

I'm not too worried about Ashley flipping to another school. He reminds me of Carl Lawson, an early commit that hasn't waivered and seems to be happy with his decision.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough schedule. That was the concern when he left Dr Phillips. He will get testing in DC. Interested to see how he performs.

I'm not too worried about Ashley flipping to another school. He reminds me of Carl Lawson, an early commit that hasn't waivered and seems to be happy with his decision.

im not worried bout him flipping; I'm worried about grades and getting all his credits transferring and everything like that.

The better competition will help with the transition to college. Good for him that he gets to do that.

I don't understand why he would need to leave Florida and go all the way to D.C to find "better competition". I'd imagine there are a number of schools in state that could provide all you want to put it mildly.

I don't understand why he would need to leave Florida and go all the way to D.C to find "better competition". I'd imagine there are a number of schools in state that could provide all you want to put it mildly.

If they are not private his parents would have to move too.

Anyone ever consider that maybe someone in his family got a job transfer or something like that?

/Possible but does not have to happen for a private school.

If he wants, he can transfer to a Texas school. We could find a spot for him

Anyone ever consider that maybe someone in his family got a job transfer or something like that?

He's transferred four times in high school and I doubt it's because he's a military brat. Forget your considerations.

I bet he would play tackle for you as well.

I bet he would play tackle for you as well.

Nah, bird would turn him into a box safety ;)

Yes I realize that, point is there are tons of great schools in Florida with extremely tough competition. No need to move to a private school in DC just for competition sake.

Yes I realize that, point is there are tons of great schools in Florida with extremely tough competition. No need to move to a private schools in DC just for completion sake.

Agreed. Something isn't adding up.

Yes I realize that, point is there are tons of great schools in Florida with extremely tough competition. No need to move to a private school in DC just for competition sake.

Maybe the parents want him that certain private school instead of a public school in Florida. Also as said earlier it gets him out of the in state Florida pressure to go to a Florida college so let's just be happy as long as he qualifies.

Yes I realize that, point is there are tons of great schools in Florida with extremely tough competition. No need to move to a private schools in DC just for completion sake.

Agreed. Something isn't adding up.

y'all could be right but it could be as simple as getting away from in state pressure too. He's already been to 1 private school so the parents obvious have the money to make the move. FWIW I have not heard or seen grade issues be a concern with any of the previous school changes. That usually comes out if that's the case.

How many more days until kickoff? I cannot wait so we can have something substantial to discuss!

On July 5, 2016 at 11:48 PM, tbone4jc said:

How many more days until kickoff? I cannot wait so we can have something substantial to discuss!

Ha, hanging out in the recruiting forum during the offseason is probably not what you should be doing if you are looking for substance. :Sing:

6 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

IMO, he will become the best OL to ever play at AU. Better than McNeill and Robinson.

What do you guys think?

My personal opinion is I would never predict that for an OL even if he was the coscensus #1 rated player in the nation. Counting pro resumes AU has produced some damn good ones. If he even approaches those levels he will be an anchor at LT for 3-4 years.

9 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Have not scoured this thread or others on Ashley.

IMO, he will become the best OL to ever play at AU. Better than McNeill and Robinson.

What do you guys think?

What, no love for Willie Anderson? We have had a lot of great players.  Ashley has the tools to be another great one!

38 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

What, no love for Willie Anderson? We have had a lot of great players.  Ashley has the tools to be another great one!

Had I gone that far back, would have said Wayne Gandy.

IMO, McNeill and Robinson are the two best OTs ever at AU.

2 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Had I gone that far back, would have said Wayne Gandy.

IMO, McNeill and Robinson are the two best OTs ever at AU.

So the "best" two Tackles we've ever had just so happened to have  both played here within the past few years? Also, I'd prefer to at least him play at least one snap for us before I can call him the "best" but that's just me. 

7 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

So the "best" two Tackles we've ever had just so happened to have  both played here within the past few years? Also, I'd prefer to at least him play at least one snap for us before I can call him the "best" but that's just me. 

Been 11 years for McNeill. Regardless, yes, IMO, best two.

Ashley's combination of speed, footwork, arm length and strength are the best I've ever seen for a HS OT.

I did say "become." Never insinuated the best now. If anyone has that potential, it's Ashley.

Archived