2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What I am saying is that no matter how good this coming season is, 2020 is set up to be an absolute train wreck of epic proportions with how the OL is looking. This is the chief reason why he will be shown the door by end of 2020. Poor OL = no points/frequent punts = no rest for defense = D getting worn down each game = Defense will be a shell of themselves by the time November rolls around. We've seen this before but imagine the OL being worse than we have ever seen. We are much closer to being at that spot than having just a serviceable line for 2020.

Replacing 5 starters on an OL especially with how we've been recruiting on the OL would be a death sentence for any coach, not just Gus. But this has been a long and slow burn that we've all been seeing play out and it will eventually be the reason the bottom falls out for Gus IMO

And let's not forget that Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson and probably Nick Coe will not be returning this go-round. 

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And let's not forget that Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson and probably Nick Coe will not be returning this go-round. 

The difference being that we are reloading on DL. I know losing those guys will hurt but we are prepared for losing great players on that side of the ball. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Did he actually play for us at all before transferring? We definitely can't claim him as a success. 

Was gonna say the same thing

Just now, McLoofus said:

Did he actually play for us at all before transferring? We definitely can't claim him as a success. 

I knew there was a reason I didn’t remember much about him. 

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

The difference being that we are reloading on DL. I know losing those guys will hurt but we are prepared for losing great players on that side of the ball. 

There's no way we don't have a noticeable drop-off in 2020. 

I was on record as saying that we would actually get better after Lawson and Adams left. That's not going to happen this time. We're going to take a hit. It might be temporary, but it's going to happen. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

There's no way we don't have a noticeable drop-off in 2020. 

I was on record as saying that we would actually get better after Lawson and Adams left. That's not going to happen this time. We're going to take a hit. It might be temporary, but it's going to happen. 

Yeah, you don't replace former 5 star seniors with 5 star freshmen and sophomores without having a drop off. My point is that it won't hurt so bad on the DL side since we have been recruiting lots of highly rated DL the last few years. Unlike the OL position. 

Given how thin we are in the OL, all expected starters will be seniors, and the fact Ashley could play both OT and OG, I have to believe Auburn had nothing to gain with Ashley staying. The simple fact is Ashley he does not expect to be able to win a starting position over the current backups.

Time to move on.

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Our 5* Players

Byron Cowart - Bust for us

Derrick Brown - Solid

Michael Dyer - Solid then Bust

Tray Blackmon - Bust

Montravius Adams - Drafted

Cadillac Williams -Drafted

Christian Westerman - Drafted

Carl Lawson - Drafted

Roc Thomas - Bust for us

Owen Pappoe - we'll see

Calvin Ashley - Bust

Tre Williams - Solid

Trovon Reed - Drafted

Bo Nix - we'll see

Ben Obamanu - Drafted

Jason Campbell - Drafted

Lemarcus Rowell - Bust

So, not counting this year's class, we have had 3 five star players since 2015 with a "success" rate of 1/3.

You forgot Jovon 

maybe even Duke? 

Yeah, you don't replace former 5 star seniors with 5 star freshmen and sophomores without having a drop off. My point is that it won't hurt so bad on the DL side since we have been recruiting lots of highly rated DL the last few years. Unlike the OL position. 

Also, the DL rotates and situationally substitutes, so the second string gets plenty of paying time and quality snaps. The OL does not rotate players. It plays as a unit. Second stringers do not play unless there is an injury or we are in a blow-out where the entire second string line comes in as a unit to play.

This is why it is a bad idea to manage your OL personnel so you have 5 seniors starting. Ideally you want to lose about two per year to graduation/early declaration.

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Yep it is a hit when they guys you think are your future stars turn out to be over their heads in the SEC.    Considering where he seemed to be on the depth chart, this will not hurt now.... Clipped this from al.com ….class standing left to right is seniors to freshmen and signees on far right. . 

Kaleb Kim (RS), Mike Horton (RS), Bailey Sharp (RS), Jack Driscoll (RS), Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. (RS), Marquel Harrell (RS) Prince Michael Sammons (RS) Bill Taylor (LS/RS), Nick Brahms (RS), Tashawn Manning (RS), Brodarious Hamm (RS), Austin Troxell (RS) Jalil Irvin (RS), Kameron Stutts (RS) Kamaar Bell (2019), Justin Osborne (2019),  Keiondre Jones (2019), Avery Jernigan (2020)

Yes you will have a drop in the DL after this season but the group behind them may have even more "potential" as they are very impressive. There is literally NOBODY behind this group of OL. It is astounding that we are where we are at this point. We will be starting multiple true freshmen (if we get any) or maybe 3 or 4 transfers. 

Has a power 5 school ever started 5 true freshmen on the OL? 

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

homesick was the explanation but who really knows.

Otherwise...IMO the number of stars becomes immediately irrelevant the day a player starts practice here.  Unfortunately some of the incoming players don't always know that. 

The debate seems to have shifted to whether or not CA leaving will have a negative impact. But once again, a very highly rated and highly recruited prospect leaves Gus’s program after failing to be developed and reach full potential. (Ashley, Roc, NCM, Cowart) The question is, why does this keep happening? If we were consistently winning 10-12 games a year, it wouldn’t bother me. But we’re not, so it does. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Sent to me by my cousin. I'm not sure where he got it.

** Auburn will now go into spring with 13 scholarship offensive linemen and add three signees in May to bring the fall total to 16 (plus any transfers). With six seniors, that will leave 10 OL going into the offseason. Clearly, Auburn needs to address the position with transfers. There's concern of having adequate backups in 2019 but more than anything, finding five new starters in 2020. Finding a couple transfers that have to sit out a year and then have a year or two of eligibility left would be a big plus.

tenor.gif

Some (we all know who) call that kind of depth an abundance of riches.  

42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I was on record as saying that we would actually get better after Lawson and Adams left.

Easy there Viper!

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

Some (we all know who) call that kind of depth an abundance of riches.  

Imagine if we had that kind of depth at linebacker! 16 scholarship backers? Why then we’d only need 5-6 linebackers a year every class. Imagine the possibilities.......

3 hours ago, kd4au said:

Just add CA to the list of 5 star bust we've had. Seems the only 5 stars we get are the ones no other teams want. Before yall go listing all the ones that are not bust, I know we have had a few be successful. Just feels like we have more bust than succeed.

It’s not hard to do objectively one way or the other. Just go to the all-time commits page for Auburn on 247 and just decide which ones are busts or not.

Looks like Zeek already did it.

Somebody tell me when was the last time Auburn actually DID something for a 5 star recruit and developed them into 1st/2nd round picks.

Trovon Reed  (2010) - undrafted

DeAngelo Benton (2010) - ?

Kiehl Frazier (2011) - Ouachita Baptist University

Monty Adams (2013)  - 3rd rnd pick

Carl Lawson (2013) - 4th rnd pick (injuries caused this)

Duke Williams (2014 juco tranfer) - ?

Roc Thomas (2014) - transfer to Jax State

Tre' Williams (2014) - undrafted

Jovon Robinson (2015 juco transfer) - ?

Byron Cowart (2015)  transfer to Maryland?

Derrick Brown (2016) - stayed and will show out this year!  WDE!

Calvin Ashley (2017) - transferred to ?

ZERO  1st/2nd round picks

• ellitor changed the title to 2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU (2/11/19 Update)
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

And Trovon was so misused it wasn't even funny

Yep! Have to count his time at AU as a bust.

AU have had 15 5*s with enough work at AU to have an opinion. 8 were busts.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Neither were composite 5*s in the end....

Are there many composite 5* juco players?

Jovon was once a composite 5*. Don’t know why they changed it.

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Are there many composite 5* juco players?

None since the composite became the standard.

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Jovon was once a composite 5*. Don’t know why they changed it.

It changed on the last rating for him in his class year. ESPN came out with their juco Top 100 then & it dropped his composite score.

44 minutes ago, keesler said:

Somebody tell me when was the last time Auburn actually DID something for a 5 star recruit and developed them into 1st/2nd round picks.

Trovon Reed  (2010) - undrafted

DeAngelo Benton (2010) - ?

Kiehl Frazier (2011) - Ouachita Baptist University

Monty Adams (2013)  - 3rd rnd pick

Carl Lawson (2013) - 4th rnd pick (injuries caused this)

Duke Williams (2014 juco tranfer) - ?

Roc Thomas (2014) - transfer to Jax State

Tre' Williams (2014) - undrafted

Jovon Robinson (2015 juco transfer) - ?

Byron Cowart (2015)  transfer to Maryland?

Derrick Brown (2016) - stayed and will show out this year!  WDE!

Calvin Ashley (2017) - transferred to ?

ZERO  1st/2nd round picks

What percentage of 5 star high school players in total becomes a 1st/2nd round pic in the NFL? I’ll bet it’s fairly low, but don’t have stats. I’m looking though. I bet it’s around 20 % 

Archived