2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

RunInRed

10 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

How do I know. I told you I don’t know the supposed medical situation, my thought is before everybody goes out trouncing the guy maybe we should know all the story. TIFWIW  War Eagle !

This.

Folks, please please PLEASE don't take some vague, unverified tidbit of information and start forming strong opinions about a player and his motivations. PLEASE don't do that, even if he's no longer an Auburn player.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

How do I know. I told you I don’t know the supposed medical situation, my thought is before everybody goes out trouncing the guy maybe we should know all the story. TIFWIW  War Eagle !

I haven’t done that, nor have I seen where anyone else had!

Its too bad Calvin couldn't cut it during his time with the Tigers. He sure didn't live up to his 5 star billing coming out of high school.

• ellitor unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Calvin Ashley, former 5-star Auburn signee, leaving FAU

Calvin Ashley, a former 5-star offensive line signee for Auburn who transferred to Florida Atlantic earlier this year, is on the move again.

“I'm not at FAU any more,” Ashley told 247Sports. FAU coach Lane Kiffin confirmed this news Tuesday.

Ashley enrolled at FAU this summer a few months after leaving Auburn and was expected to challenge for the starting spot at right tackle, but per the Palm Beach Post had not yet practiced this fall. On Aug. 10, the Post reported the Owls were waiting for Ashley to make his fall practice debut as he recovered from an “illness.”

Ashley told 247Sports on Monday evening he had not yet entered the NCAA transfer portal but said he had informed the FAU staff he was leaving the program. Ashley, who has a young child, wants to be “closer to my family.”

According to a source, Florida A&M might be a school to watch.

In the class of 2017, Ashley was the No. 6 tackle and No. 26 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite. He redshirted his first season because of an eye injury that required surgery. In 2018, Ashley began the season as a second-team tackle. He appeared in five games and made one start when he replaced injured starter Jack Driscoll at right tackle Oct. 6 in a 23-9 loss at Mississippi State.

But Ashley was not on the sideline the following week during a 30-24 loss to Tennessee and did not participate in any games during the season following the start against the Bulldogs because of what Tigers coach Gus Malzahn called a medical issue -- an issue that was kept private.

Ashley, a Florida native who grew up in the Orlando area, took a month off from the program in December, then enrolled for classes at Auburn in January before announcing his intention to leave the school a month later.

“The decision for me transferring from Auburn University was carefully thought about but I eventually came to a decision to do so,” he wrote. “Now that I’ve had some time to explore my options, I’ve come to the decision that I will be enrolling in Florida Atlantic University in the summer. Thank you Coach Kiffin and [offensive line coach Jeff Norrid and the rest of the coaching staff for giving me another opportunity. Truly blessed!”

• ellitor changed the title to 2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

Why does this happen with the few five stars that we've had high hopes for. Too much pressure almost. Hope things work out for him eventually and we can get a five 🌟 in and break this curse

8 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

He is already a father and has come out on Twitter with his battle against depression. I hope he can become mentally whole and get back on track. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

He is already a father and has come out on Twitter with his battle against depression. I hope he can become mentally whole and get back on track. 

Thanks for the info . I was about to be ignorant but you really don’t know what others are going through unless you see it from their lenses. First and foremost , I hope he gets back mentally. Second, I hope he gets a degree for him and his family. Third, I hope football is joyous for him.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Thanks for the info . I was about to be ignorant but you really don’t know what others are going through unless you see it from their lenses. First and foremost , I hope he gets back mentally. Second, I hope he gets a degree for him and his family. Third, I hope football is joyous for him.

Word. Recruiting can be a dog n pony show where we gawk at their measurables. Easy to forget our players are still humans with real-world issues. 

8 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Why does this happen with the few five stars that we've had high hopes for. Too much pressure almost. Hope things work out for him eventually and we can get a five 🌟 in and break this curse

I like the odds of Pappoe breaking our poor luck with 5 stars

Archived