2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

RunInRed

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, metafour said:

From the Maryland 247 guy who reported that he'd decommit yesterday:

"The thinking is that Auburn told him to wait it out." Take a minute to really think about that statement. This means that he doesn't have any information,  whether first hand or second hand that Auburn asked him to wait it out. He is just throwing this out that as his own assumption as to why he believes CA didn't decommit yesterday. I guess there is a reason why he works for a recruiting company instead of a legitimate newspaper.  This is just one pile of % £€£ laid on another pile of £€%×. If he heard that statement from CA himself or a coach that would be one thing but he appears to create an elaborate story to cover up his crappy prognostication.

Why can't we just take this kid at his word? It sounds like these guys up in MD are just saying what they hope for and then have to backtrack the next day. He is our biggest recruit so we all go crazy about it. So if I go out today and say we are getting the top guy from every team in the SEC will that make them all freak out. It's really one of two things, either the kid is 110% ( which I hate by the way because you can't be more than 100% of anything) AU or he is a liar. Now we have had at least three kids over the past 10 years that were liars so I understand this a little but not every kid lacks the character that Yeldon, Foster and Evans did. I choose to believe the kid and look forward to him starting for us next year.    

2 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Why can't we just take this kid at his word? It sounds like these guys up in MD are just saying what they hope for and then have to backtrack the next day. He is our biggest recruit so we all go crazy about it. So if I go out today and say we are getting the top guy from every team in the SEC will that make them all freak out. It's really one of two things, either the kid is 110% ( which I hate by the way because you can't be more than 100% of anything) AU or he is a liar. Now we have had at least three kids over the past 10 years that were liars so I understand this a little but not every kid lacks the character that Yeldon, Foster and Evans did. I choose to believe the kid and look forward to him starting for us next year.    

Well, just like you said, most of the hand ringing is due to events from a couple high profile recruits and the chaos that entailed. I think it's also partially due to the fact many people love a good conspiracy story- especially with recruiting season- and sometimes will simply not want to believe the simplest of scenerios. It's a much juicier conversation to believe all the "smoke" than to simply take the word straight from the horses mouth. Where's the fun in that?? :)

14 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Liars go to Bama? :Sing:I'm assuming Rashaan Evans is who you are referring to...

Auburn 5-star offensive tackle Calvin Ashley sets record straight on commitment

Calvin Ashley cleared up any confusion regarding his commitment in a single tweet.

“I am 100% committed! Always have been and always will be!!! #WDE,” Ashley wrote.

His re-affirmation of his Auburn commitment after rumors circulated earlier in the day of an impending de-commitment. While chatter might’ve been real internally, Ashley has done nothing but show his public affection for Auburn in recent weeks.

When other 2017 recruits commit to Auburn, Ashley is one of the first to welcome them to the family. He regularly shows his love for the Tigers during games. As recently as last week, Ashley used cut-to-the-chase language to describe his commitment to Auburn. “Very solid, very solid,” Ashley said. ” I just want to get back to my place. I want to get back to Auburn and have fun, hang around. Just get to used to the place again since I moved 13 hours away. I just want to renew everything.” Ashley will make that return on Jan. 20 for his official visit, which is the only one he has planned in January. That weekend will be one of Auburn’s busiest during the contact period. The team believed to be making the hardest push for Ashley was Maryland. The Terrapins visited Ashley as routinely as the Tigers did during the December contact period. Ashley took an official visit to Maryland on Dec. 9, the final weekend before the dead period hit. Even then, Auburn managed to sneak in the final contact of the period with an in-home visit with Herb Hand and Scott Fountain. “It was nice. Auburn came right after the visit. It was great for them to show the love,” Ashley said last week.” They came the last date of the deadline. That’s just family. We just hung around. It was great to have coach Hand and coach Fountain there. That was nice.”

I guess it's "premium content", but from my very limited perspective the kid seems very solid.  That's what he keeps saying, and AU is his only OV scheduled.  He keeps wearing AU gear and recruiting pretty strongly for us.  I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.  

5 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I guess it's "premium content", but from my very limited perspective the kid seems very solid.  That's what he keeps saying, and AU is his only OV scheduled.  He keeps wearing AU gear and recruiting pretty strongly for us.  I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.  

In my opinion, the fuss comes from a few different angles. First, the player apparently played at three different high schools and moved to Maryland for his senior season. That's not a typical high school experience for anyone, much less a highly coveted athlete. Also, if it were just about AU vs Maryland it would be one thing. The fact that a school with an Under Armour power broker involved makes it a more uncomfortable situation. Finally, what gets tweeted or tattooed is not always gospel. I hope he comes to AU and I think he will, but my experience is that AUs greatest have little to no drama like this to their recruitment. (Lawson for instance). WDE

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

In my opinion, the fuss comes from a few different angles. First, the player apparently played at three different high schools and moved to Maryland for his senior season. That's not a typical high school experience for anyone, much less a highly coveted athlete. Also, if it were just about AU vs Maryland it would be one thing. The fact that a school with an Under Armour power broker involved makes it a more uncomfortable situation. Finally, what gets tweeted or tattooed is not always gospel. I hope he comes to AU and I think he will, but my experience is that AUs greatest have little to no drama like this to their recruitment. (Lawson for instance). WDE

Couple of notes... Calvin Ashley is no Ruben Foster.  Character means a lot.

Also, you must not remember Carl's recruitment very well.  People were freaking out about him until the fax arrived. He was dead silent while rumors flew from all over.

Ashley has refuted every rumor about him flipping, has recruited for Auburn, is constantly seen in Auburn clothing, etc.  The ONLY talk of him flipping comes from Maryland supporters who wish it would happen.

Let's look at it this way. For years Maryland was a member of the ACA and for most of their time in that conference they sucked in football. Now, they are in the Big-10 or Big-12, whatever they are called, but they do share one common denominator...THEY STILL SUCK IN FOOTBALL.

13 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Let's look at it this way. For years Maryland was a member of the ACA and for most of their time in that conference they sucked in football. Now, they are in the Big-10 or Big-12, whatever they are called, but they do share one common denominator...THEY STILL SUCK IN FOOTBALL.

But they have awful uniforms... isn't that the first step in the Oregon formula for working your way into the National Championship game?

On a 30 for 30 show about Bo, Boomer said he was watching Bo during warmups before that game and told a teammate "we're in trouble."

I sat right behind the Maryland bench and really enjoyed watching Boomer warm up.  He threw such a pretty and catchable pass  

12 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

On a 30 for 30 show about Bo, Boomer said he was watching Bo during warmups before that game and told a teammate "we're in trouble."

I sat right behind the Maryland bench and really enjoyed watching Boomer warm up.  He threw such a pretty and catchable pass  

Yes he did it look so effortlessly and soft

34 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

yep was a fun game to watch

That was my senior year at Auburn.  If think Donnie Humphrey sacked Boomer in the end zone to seal the game.  

I think we had 4 games that year where we led by a TD or less and all 4 opponents did onside kicks and recovered for a final challenge but the Auburn defense prevailed every time. 

4 minutes ago, gctiger said:

That was my senior year at Auburn.  If think Donnie Humphrey sacked Boomer in the end zone to seal the game.  

I think we had 4 games that year where we led by a TD or less and all 4 opponents did onside kicks and recovered for a final challenge but the Auburn defense prevailed every time. 

I think your correct

Archived