2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

RunInRed

Are you saying the kid's word might not be good? Playing us or just might just wake up and change his mind on NSD? Hope you're just paranoid like me, but you do have a lot of experience in Recruiting Wars. I guess staff is keeping tabs on this daily or hourly, or at least will be after dead period.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, autan said:

Are you saying the kid's word might not be good? Playing us or just might just wake up and change his mind on NSD? Hope you're just paranoid like me, but you do have a lot of experience in Recruiting Wars. I guess staff is keeping tabs on this daily or hourly, or at least will be after dead period.

He and his family are facing very intense pressure from Maryland & the community. It's not a matter of him being honest IMO. It's just can he hold up & not buckle to all that local pressure.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He and his family are facing very intense pressure from Maryland & the community. It's not a matter of him being honest IMO. It's just can he hold up & not buckle to all that local pressure.

Was going to say something very similar. Glad I waited. 

So is he expected to visit on 1/20, since his commitment is fairly solid (keywords:) at this time?

What I find fascinating is that for all the eulogies for our recruiting being written on here, we still have a top 10 class (on 247 at least) ATM.

44 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So is he expected to visit on 1/20, since his commitment is fairly solid (keywords:) at this time?

What I find fascinating is that for all the eulogies for our recruiting being written on here, we still have a top 10 class (on 247 at least) ATM.

If you haven't figured it out, there's a growing contingent of fans who think anything less than bama level success is failure.

^If we had the NCAA and SEC offices in our back pocket, that'd be reasonable. We should do better than we've done the last three seasons, and I'd love to go after Chip Kelly if Gus doesn't work out next season (unfortunately, TAMU will probably be after him too). BUT, I also see reasons for Gus to get it right next season. I'm too lazy to check back, but I guarantee you that the attitude on this forum about Tubs after 2003 was the exact same.

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

^If we had the NCAA and SEC offices in our back pocket, that'd be reasonable. 

I don't think it's reasonable with that.  They've had decades to build up the machine that is bama recruiting on top of their free passes.

^True. The state of Alabama is 4 Privet Drive, the media in this state is Vernon and Petunia, they're Dudley and we're Harry.

So we're clearly much better looking (but then again, we already knew that). :hellyeah:

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well that's the key with most all high level recruits now isn't it? I'm sure he's under pressure, heck, all these kids are. The question here would be, is there something different going on than usual?

Also, is there a connection to Maryland and/or that particular area to Calvin? I mean, if not, it's not like he's a local kid and grew up there as a fan. Heck, he's only been up there a couple months. 

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Also, is there a connection to Maryland and/or that particular area to Calvin? I mean, if not, it's not like he's a local kid and grew up there as a fan. Heck, he's only been up there a couple months. 

His entire immediate family is up there now & most of his friends @ St. John's High,  which he has bonded well with, will be going there. Also his high school coach went there.

I'm starting to get that bad feeling. Every kid says they're 100% committed until they aren't. If he were to say he was undecided back and forth he wouldn't get a minutes peace over the next 3 weeks. Maybe recruiters and analysts will leave him alone so he can sort it all out.  I'm feeling some sympathy for the kid.  He has all the talent in the world but he is still just a 17/18 year old kid.

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

^True. The state of Alabama is 4 Privet Drive, the media in this state is Vernon and Petunia, they're Dudley and we're Harry.

So we're clearly much better looking (but then again, we already knew that). :hellyeah:

Here are you're geek points.  Thanks for playing :)

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

His entire immediate family is up there now & most of his friends @ St. John's High,  which he has bonded well with, will be going there. Also his high school coach went there.

Guess they will all just have to be jealous that he's good enough to play for a real football team.

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Stefon Diggs.....

way weirder than that though. Diggs always grew up in that area his whole life. Calvin Ashley just moved up there in the summer.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

way weirder than that though. Diggs always grew up in that area his whole life. Calvin Ashley just moved up there in the summer.

True dat. Just pointing out that we've lost top-tier talent to Maryland before. I agree this one seems fishy though.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

AU never led there.

Didn't say we did. Just pointing out a top talent that chose Maryland over Auburn. More than one person was convinced he would choose AU though because: "they're Maryland".

17 minutes ago, fredst said:

Didn't say we did. Just pointing out a top talent that chose Maryland over Auburn. More than one person was convinced he would choose AU though because: "they're Maryland".

The region where they play is the only similarity. Otherwise not really worth posting his name alone.

8 hours ago, fredst said:

Yep, we were on a recruiting hot streak at that moment and the fans thought we could pull anyone.

i think the last player we got from that area was Ben Tate.  I'm not sure what got him to AU...maybe his relationship w the Irons family helped...or the fact we were producing NFL RBs like crazy.  

Not sure the last time we had an OT drafted...Robinson?

12 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Yep, we were on a recruiting hot streak at that moment and the fans thought we could pull anyone.

i think the last player we got from that area was Ben Tate.  I'm not sure what got him to AU...maybe his relationship w the Irons family helped...or the fact we were producing NFL RBs like crazy.  

Not sure the last time we had an OT drafted...Robinson?

I don't think so. That was the 2012 class where we missed on a number of guys, especially on NSD. I still remember how depressing @AUSportTalk  prediction were going into NSD.

Yep!

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't think so. That was the 2012 class where we missed on a number of guys, especially on NSD. I still remember how depressing @AUSportTalk  prediction were going into NSD.

Yep!

I think we got Kozan and maybe Diamond at the last moment...I remember feeling some hope for Diggs after that.

Archived