2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

RunInRed

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love this guy and I hope he ends up a first round draft choice.  Just stayed true and never wavered.  No tricks or hoopla.  Said he was all in and backed it up.  Love the integrity.  

WDE!!!

• 2 years later...

Wasn’t sure where to put this @ellitorsince there were two ops at about the same time. Now I see how difficult your job can be keeping all of this cleaned out in the recruiting forum.

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Offensive-lineman-Calvin-Ashley-to-transfer-out-of-Auburn-128980335/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190211_113609_Auburn Tigers&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=99-FD-B8-99-12-20-A9-E2-F9-3F-82-B8-8B-2F-6B-53190211_113609AuburnTigers

Offensive lineman Calvin Ashley to transfer out of Auburn

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 14 minutes ago 

4 Comments

Auburn offensive lineman Calvin Ashley (Photo: Greg McWilliams, 247Sports)

Auburn offensive lineman Calvin Ashleyplans to leave the team and transfer to another school after taking a one-month break from the program in December, a person familiar with the decision tells Auburn Undercover.

UPDATE (11:30 a.m.): Ashley confirmed on Twitter Monday he will indeed leave Auburn.

"After much thought and consideration and talking to my family, I have decided to enter my name in the NCAA transfer portal and will explore my options," Ashley tweeted. "I would like to thank the great fans and the coaching staff at Auburn for believing in me. To my teammates/brothers, I will indeed miss the moments shared with you all and wish you all the best."

Ashley is declining interviews.

It's not clear when Ashley made the decision. He has yet to enter his name in the NCAA's transfer portal, a source said. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said last week no changes beyond names in the transfer portal have occurred on Auburn's roster. 

Ashley's departure is yet another blow to Auburn's depth along the offensive line and yet another highly-regarded high school prospect to leave Auburn without making much of an impact. Former Auburn receivers and bluechip prospects Kyle Davis and Nate Craig-Myers, and 5-star defensive end Byron Cowart have left the team during the previous two years.

Ashley missed the latter half of the 2018 season with a "medical issue," Malzahn said at the time, and did not participate in bowl practices. He also did not travel to Nashville for the Music City Bowl and appeared to be in Orlando, Florida at the time, according to his social media accounts.

The redshirt sophomore is enrolled in classes, which began Jan. 9, and was expected as recently as Friday to participate in spring drills. Practices begin March 18 and culminate April 13 with the annual A-Day intrasquad scrimmage inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

The former 5-star prospect appeared in five games and made one start in 2018 when he replaced injured starter Jack Driscoll at right tackle Oct. 6 in a 23-9 loss at Mississippi State.

Ashley was not on the sideline the following week during Auburn's 30-24 loss to Tennessee, and he did not participate in any games following the start against the Bulldogs.

Ashley's medical issue has been kept private.

Ashley was pushed into action in the second half of a 24-13 win against Southern Miss on Sept. 29 and started the MSU game when Driscoll went down with a left knee injury against the Golden Eagles. Driscoll returned to the starting lineup for the Oct. 13 kickoff against Tennessee.

Then-Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said Ashley's performance in his first start was mixed.

“There were some areas, I thought, in the run game where [Ashley] did a nice job," Lindsey said at the time. "He’s a big body, and an athletic guy, just did a nice job of maintaining blocks and pretty much assignment-wise he was in good shape. Just technique, he’s still got to improve technique in pass pro, but first live action against one of the best pass-rushers in the league, I thought he did OK. But he’s got some work to do and he’ll get better.”

4COMMENTS

Driscoll transferred to Auburn from UMass last summer, started 12 of 13 games at right tackle and is in line to be the starter again next fall.

The one game he started last year looked like he had never played before. He spent most of the game running around in circles looking for someone to block. It would appear that the intricacies of the college game were more than he could handle. 

We lost more in hopes and wishes than actual depth on the offensive line.   Best of luck to him, just think that big boy football isn't for boys who don't like to get hit back.

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

Welcome home to Jax State or NW sothern part of Wyoming Technical college for Aviation and to teach me to futboil

Seems he was just too soft in real life to ever crack the line up. In all honesty wish him well if he does indeed transfer but honestly with his past contributions how much of a loss is it going to be? I hope he gets all hsi issues worked out and does well. Good luck CA

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's fine, we have tons of quality depth at OT.

According to most of the experts he was not quality so what are we really losing?  Just because he was a 5* does not mean he was quality.

8 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

According to most of the experts he was not quality so what are we really losing?  Just because he was a 5* does not mean he was quality.

Sarcasm.

Good luck to him. Hopefully something clicks for him elsewhere.

44 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

ouch

Not really an ouch. He wasn't doing much nor expected to for a while now. Wishing him the best.

Archived