2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

RunInRed

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

None since the composite became the standard.

It changed on the last rating for him in his class year. ESPN came out with their juco Top 100 then & it dropped his composite score.

Wow. Didn’t think there were many but blows my mind there has not been any at all.

Wonder if anyone will actually want to pick him up as a transfer. It's not like he was stuck behind elite OL players.

Well, if he does get a chance elsewhere, good luck to him.

31 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Our OL just got thiner. Now the fact that we've only signed 5 OL 2 years and just 10 OL in 4 years in kicking this team big time.

Gus said that the OL is not a problem and he'll sign a whole bunch of OL guys in the 2020 recruiting class. So obviously, this does not matter.

:-\

24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Wow. Didn’t think there were many but blows my mind there has not been any at all.

Well for the composite their rankings get combined with high schoolers. Whatever their rating is for each site they are listed behind all high schoolers with that rating. For example, Jovon had a 247 only rating of 98. He is placed behind every high school recruit rated by 247 a 98 or better. That year there were 33 high schoolers with a 98 rating or better on 247 only plus Alvin Kamara was listed higher so Jovon was 35th overall by 247. ESPN had him lower than that so that's why he & every juco has never been a composite 5* in the end & likely never will be.

27 minutes ago, AURex said:

Wonder if anyone will actually want to pick him up as a transfer. It's not like he was stuck behind elite OL players.

Well, if he does get a chance elsewhere, good luck to him.

someone will be glad to have him.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Yep! Have to count his time at AU as a bust.

AU have had 15 5*s with enough work at AU to have an opinion. 8 were busts.

So we're about 50/50 with 5 stars.  Anyone got a percentage of success on overall 5 stars?  @StatTiger

20 minutes ago, AURex said:

Gus said that the OL is not a problem and he'll sign a whole bunch of OL guys in the 2020 recruiting class. So obviously, this does not matter.

Yep and the best years of Auburn FB are ahead of us per Gus. 

20 minutes ago, AURex said:

As crazy as it sounds,  These next classes 19/20 even as RS or TF at AU may be better when they step on the field than the guys they replace(2019).   

Sure,  we could make a ton of mistakes but they could gel into serious talent.  

1 hour ago, toddc said:

What percentage of 5 star high school players in total becomes a 1st/2nd round pic in the NFL? I’ll bet it’s fairly low, but don’t have stats. I’m looking though. I bet it’s around 20 % 

58% get drafted. Not sure how many in the first/second rounds.

No matter how you cut it, though, our number of players overall drafted in the top 3 rounds doesn't jibe with our recruiting rankings. We are not adequately preparing our players, period, so it stands to reason that we're not taking full advantage of our most highly ranked ones.

9 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

So we're about 50/50 with 5 stars.  Anyone got a percentage of success on overall 5 stars?

That was overall 5*s. AU's 17 composite 5*s goes back to when recruiting sites started in 1999.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That was overall 5*s. AU's 17 composite 5*s goes back to when recruiting sites started in 1999.

Sorry I was unclear.  I meant success rate of 5 stars overall for ALL colleges.  Like there have been for example, 1000 five stars and 750 were successful in college and 400 were drafted in the NFL.  Just wondered how 5 star success at Auburn compared to 5 star success overall in all colleges.  Are we doing worse, the same, or better than other schools with our 5 stars?

First, I don't think losing Ashley makes any difference for us as IMO he was not ever going to contribute unfortunately.  Second, who in the hell does our O-line evaluations?  It ain't working.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

What I am saying is that no matter how good this coming season is, 2020 is set up to be an absolute train wreck of epic proportions with how the OL is looking. This is the chief reason why he will be shown the door by end of 2020. Poor OL = no points/frequent punts = no rest for defense = D getting worn down each game = Defense will be a shell of themselves by the time November rolls around. We've seen this before but imagine the OL being worse than we have ever seen. We are much closer to being at that spot than having just a serviceable line for 2020.

This.  I can see a 2008 type season in 2020 with the possible O-line starting for the first time.  My reasoning is, we have five seniors that probably wouldn't start for another SEC team coming up in 2019, and if we don't have anyone better behind them, what are we putting on the field as FIRST TIME starters in 2020?  It'll be extremely interesting to see how these next 2 years play out.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

58% get drafted. Not sure how many in the first/second rounds.

No matter how you cut it, though, our number of players overall drafted in the top 3 rounds doesn't jibe with our recruiting rankings. We are not adequately preparing our players, period, so it stands to reason that we're not taking full advantage of our most highly ranked ones.

Guess it would be interesting to actually do some research but seems that a pretty good percent of our more highly ranked players get a shot to make it to the next level....other than those who bust out early for various reasons....frequently involving "personal" issues. 

Just looking back at the classes where we have graduates....2013-14-15 we did not seem to have that many what I would call highly recruited players but year by year there are guys who moved up...and some of the star recruits like Duke, Cowart, Jovon never got going.    High risk business 

12 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Sorry I was unclear.  I meant success rate of 5 stars overall for ALL colleges.  Like there have been for example, 1000 five stars and 750 were successful in college and 400 were drafted in the NFL.  Just wondered how 5 star success at Auburn compared to 5 star success overall in all colleges.  Are we doing worse, the same, or better than other schools with our 5 stars?

I think 50% is about average for 5* pan out overall across the board so we aren't doing as bad in that area as some of our fans think.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep it is a hit when they guys you think are your future stars turn out to be over their heads in the SEC.    Considering where he seemed to be on the depth chart, this will not hurt now.... Clipped this from al.com ….class standing left to right is seniors to freshmen and signees on far right. . 

Kaleb Kim (RS), Mike Horton (RS), Bailey Sharp (RS), Jack Driscoll (RS), Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. (RS), Marquel Harrell (RS) Prince Michael Sammons (RS) Bill Taylor (LS/RS), Nick Brahms (RS), Tashawn Manning (RS), Brodarious Hamm (RS), Austin Troxell (RS) Jalil Irvin (RS), Kameron Stutts (RS) Kamaar Bell (2019), Justin Osborne (2019),  Keiondre Jones (2019), Avery Jernigan (2020)

I could see a decent starting  five in that group come 2020. Trox  Bell Irvin Jones Osborne and maybe even Jerigan. Who knows how good they will be by then? Things may not be as bad as people think. We can hope any way.

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

If Gus makes it through this coming season he's damn sure getting fired after the next. That OL is going to be the worst of my lifetime as it stands right now. I don't see how it changes, to be honest. Everybody prepare yourselves.

Making predictions that far into the future? It’s all going to be OK!  

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Yes you can enter and leave the portal if you chose to do so and remain in school.  Alabama's 5* LB entered and pulled back out within a week.

Correction...he put it in (if I remember correctly) the day before signing day and pulled it after their LB they were trying to sign signed with another school...so like a total of 2 or 3 days..

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

If Gus makes it through this coming season he's damn sure getting fired after the next. That OL is going to be the worst of my lifetime as it stands right now. I don't see how it changes, to be honest. Everybody prepare yourselves.

Didn’t you see where Gus said he is signing the biggest OL class ever in 2020? 😁

By the way guys I’m not privileged to know exactly what but Calvin has been supposedly dealing with a medical issue for quite a while. I understand he tried to work through it but just couldn’t get to 100 percent. TIFWIW 

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Didn’t you see where Gus said he is signing the biggest OL class ever in 2020? 😁

By the way guys I’m not privileged to know exactly what but Calvin has been supposedly dealing with a medical issue for quite a while. I understand he tried to work through it but just couldn’t get to 100 percent. TIFWIW 

Then how is transferring going to help that medical situation?

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Sent to me by my cousin. I'm not sure where he got it.

** Auburn will now go into spring with 13 scholarship offensive linemen and add three signees in May to bring the fall total to 16 (plus any transfers). With six seniors, that will leave 10 OL going into the offseason. Clearly, Auburn needs to address the position with transfers. There's concern of having adequate backups in 2019 but more than anything, finding five new starters in 2020. Finding a couple transfers that have to sit out a year and then have a year or two of eligibility left would be a big plus.

tenor.gif

I'm not sure where he got it either. I just re-counted and get 19 scholarship Ol players going into next season. That included Jackson moving to OL and the three signees. It did not include Ashley.

13 hours ago, toddc said:

What percentage of 5 star high school players in total becomes a 1st/2nd round pic in the NFL? I’ll bet it’s fairly low, but don’t have stats. I’m looking though. I bet it’s around 20 % 

Guess I don 't care much about their draft level...just want them to play well for two or three years at AU.

19 hours ago, sogaaufan said:

The one game he started last year looked like he had never played before. He spent most of the game running around in circles looking for someone to block. It would appear that the intricacies of the college game were more than he could handle. 

He was playing directly across from one of the best pass rushers in the SEC, FWIW.

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep it is a hit when they guys you think are your future stars turn out to be over their heads in the SEC.    Considering where he seemed to be on the depth chart, this will not hurt now.... Clipped this from al.com ….class standing left to right is seniors to freshmen and signees on far right. . 

Kaleb Kim (RS), Mike Horton (RS), Bailey Sharp (RS), Jack Driscoll (RS), Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. (RS), Marquel Harrell (RS) Prince Michael Sammons (RS) Bill Taylor (LS/RS), Nick Brahms (RS), Tashawn Manning (RS), Brodarious Hamm (RS), Austin Troxell (RS) Jalil Irvin (RS), Kameron Stutts (RS) Kamaar Bell (2019), Justin Osborne (2019),  Keiondre Jones (2019), Avery Jernigan (2020)

Hard to believe Prince Michael is a junior already. With all the issues on the line he hasn't taken a single snap that matters. Guess it makes sense that 99% of the schools who recruited him did so as a DL.

13 hours ago, AURex said:

Can't tell if serious. I sure hope not. Gus "says" lots of things that simply are not true. And anyone who looks at this OL and determines it's "not a problem" doesn't deserve to be coaching high school football, much less being a top 5 paid coach in all of college football.

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

Guess it would be interesting to actually do some research but seems that a pretty good percent of our more highly ranked players get a shot to make it to the next level....other than those who bust out early for various reasons....frequently involving "personal" issues. 

Just looking back at the classes where we have graduates....2013-14-15 we did not seem to have that many what I would call highly recruited players but year by year there are guys who moved up...and some of the star recruits like Duke, Cowart, Jovon never got going.    High risk business 

In reality, the classes were as follows. The seniors from the 2013 class were signed in 2009. The 2009 class ranked 23. The 2014 class signed in 2010. The 2010 class finished 6th in the country. The 2015 class signed in 2011. The 2011 class finished 5th in the country.  The 2015 class signed in 2012. The 2012 season was one of the worst in our history, and our recruiting class finished 11. So while you are right, the 2009 class finished in the 20s so there weren't many big name recruits. However after that season... Starting in 2010, we had two top 6 classes in a row, followed by a top 10 and top 11 finish. Those classes included plenty of star talent. 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm not sure where he got it either. I just re-counted and get 19 scholarship Ol players going into next season. That included Jackson moving to OL and the three signees. It did not include Ashley.

Most don't count walk-ons as they won't realistically have a chance to play. Including walk-ons and long snappers is the ONLY WAY you could count 20 OL for us next year...

This conversation keeps happening. Why not list them all out so we can get to the bottom of this. Most say we will have around 10. You keep saying closer to 20. So name those 20 scholarship OL... Let's figure this out. 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

See I just counted them. 13. The ONLY way you count 20 is counting walk-ons and long snappers.

Archived