2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

RunInRed

Jalil Irvin, Nick Brahms, Kaleb Kim, Tashawn Manning, Brodarious Hamm, Kam Stutts, Mike Horton, Bailey Sharp, Austin Troxell, Jack Driscoll, Prince Tega, Prince Michael, Marquel Harrell. 

Everyone else are long snappers or walk-ons that won't play.  That list sure isn't pushing 20.

Edit the 3 signees should also be added Osborne, Bell, and Jones.  Which would take the total to 16, which IS closer to your number.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Guess I don 't care much about their draft level...just want them to play well for two or three years at AU.

If you want players to play well for two or three years at AU, then you want good players at AU.

If you want good players to come to AU, then you want their AU predecessors to get drafted highly. 

The draft matters. Maybe everyone will agree with that if Gus ever starts getting guys drafted in the first round. 

Not going to pretend to know everything that happened but this sounds like a kid who was challenged that didn't want to overcome the obstacle. I think these kids being called a 5 star in high school screws with their heads and makes them think they have all the talent in the world and don't have to work for it. To me, it sounds like he didn't want to compete and win a starting job, he felt it should have been given to him..

54 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Most don't count walk-ons as they won't realistically have a chance to play. Including walk-ons and long snappers is the ONLY WAY you could count 20 OL for us next year...

Can you not read? I posted "I just recounted and got 19 SCHOLARSHIP players for next year. I suggest that you are conveniently omitting the three signees and Jackson, who is moving to the OL from defense.

PS:" This conversation keeps happening. Why not list them all out so we can get to the bottom of this. Most say we will have around 10. You keep saying closer to 20. So name those 20 scholarship OL... Let's figure this out."  

Just look at the list @AU64 posted above. That's 16, plus Jackson is 17. ITAT lists OT Trent Kelly as a former walkon that's earned a scholarship. That's 18. When I first said 20, Ashley was still on the team and we were expected to sign at least one more OL in the late period, so the current, updated number is 18. 3.6 per position. Sounds pretty deep to me when compared to other positions on the team.

On 7/10/2016 at 12:14 AM, VipersStrike1 said:

Have not scoured this thread or others on Ashley.

IMO, he will become the best OL to ever play at AU. Better than McNeill and Robinson.

What do you guys think?

What do us guys think? You're still a dumbass.

(No idea how this post showed up as the first unread for me- thread merge perhaps?- but it did, and I thought I'd share in case it gave anybody else a chuckle. Oh, bless Viper's little dumbass heart.)

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If you want players to play well for two or three years at AU, then you want good players at AU.

If you want good players to come to AU, then you want their AU predecessors to get drafted highly. 

The draft matters. Maybe everyone will agree with that if Gus ever starts getting guys drafted in the first round. 

That's a good theory but just looking at the first round draft for 2018 of the 32 picks, the players came from 21 different schools ..bama and uga having multiples along with a couple schools with 2.    A  number of  those first round picks came from places like Wyoming, Boise and a few other rather obscure schools rarely found anywhere near the top 25.  

Five of the 14 SEC teams had picks...USCe, Arky and FLa each had one pick and that was it.   Bama and Georgia are in a hot streak right now with recruiting but otherwise, there is barely a relationship between recruiting rankings and the NFL draft. 

JMO but if we could just keep the guys we get, we'd be fine....lost too many very good athletes lately who were not able to adjust to college life at AU.

15 hours ago, toddc said:

What percentage of 5 star high school players in total becomes a 1st/2nd round pic in the NFL? I’ll bet it’s fairly low, but don’t have stats. I’m looking though. I bet it’s around 20 % 

It's just shy of 50% overall.

Some programs find a way to actually develop 5* talent, win at a high level with them AND then pump them out into early rounds of the draft consistently, which attracts more 5* talent to the program.  

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Can you not read? I posted "I just recounted and got 19 SCHOLARSHIP players for next year. I suggest that you are conveniently omitting the three signees and Jackson, who is moving to the OL from defense.

PS:" This conversation keeps happening. Why not list them all out so we can get to the bottom of this. Most say we will have around 10. You keep saying closer to 20. So name those 20 scholarship OL... Let's figure this out."  

Just look at the list @AU64 posted above. That's 16, plus Jackson is 17. ITAT lists OT Trent Kelly as a former walkon that's earned a scholarship. That's 18. When I first said 20, Ashley was still on the team and we were expected to sign at least one more OL in the late period, so the current, updated number is 18. 3.6 per position. Sounds pretty deep to me when compared to other positions on the team.

I listed them all off right above you as well. And the number was 13. That didn't include the 3 signees nor Jackson. So including those 3+ the DL swap give us 17 OL on scholarship. With around 15 of them being a OG, C, or a Tweeners between OG and OT. The only true OTs we have are Tega (now,) Trox, and Driscoll. We aren't hurting at OG as we are like 6 or 7 deep at OG. OT is an entirely different story. The number whether 13 or 47 doesn't matter when 99% of the are OGs and Tweeners. We have depth for days at OG and even center really, but we are razor thin as far as real OTs go. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's a good theory but just looking at the first round draft for 2018 of the 32 picks, the players came from 21 different schools ..bama and uga having multiples along with a couple schools with 2.    A  number of  those first round picks came from places like Wyoming, Boise and a few other rather obscure schools rarely found anywhere near the top 25.  

Five of the 14 SEC teams had picks...USCe, Arky and FLa each had one pick and that was it.   Bama and Georgia are in a hot streak right now with recruiting but otherwise, there is barely a relationship between recruiting rankings and the NFL draft. 

1. You're looking at one round of one draft. I think you know that you're not telling even a remotely full story with that.

2. "there is barely a relationship between recruiting rankings and the NFL draft" is a wildly inaccurate statement. This has all been shown time and time again- on this site- so I'll forego proving it again, as it's never going to take if it hasn't already. What I will let you do, instead, is google "recruiting rankings nfl draft". If you are genuinely interested in knowing, of course. 

lost too many very good athletes lately who were not able to adjust to college life at AU.

How many guys do we lose before you acknowledge that there might be an Auburn problem here?

What about the guys who have stuck it out who didn't get drafted in the first two rounds?

Once again, it's comments like these that force the spotlight onto Gus's shortcomings. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Guess I don 't care much about their draft level...just want them to play well for two or three years at AU.

I agree with you!

This portal thing is going to gut a lot of programs. Especially if a team is struggling or the player decides he doesn't like the coach, school or team anymore.

A modified one and done

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

What do us guys think? You're still a dumbass.

(No idea how this post showed up as the first unread for me- thread merge perhaps?- but it did, and I thought I'd share in case it gave anybody else a chuckle. Oh, bless Viper's little dumbass heart.)

Thread was merged with the CA talk from the transfer portal thread.

19 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Yes you can enter and leave the portal if you chose to do so and remain in school.  Alabama's 5* LB entered and pulled back out within a week.

But it's also like telling your SO, "I want to date other guys/girls."    You can come back, but there will probably be hard feelings.

Unless you are a supermodel.  

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Most don't count walk-ons as they won't realistically have a chance to play. Including walk-ons and long snappers is the ONLY WAY you could count 20 OL for us next year...

This conversation keeps happening. Why not list them all out so we can get to the bottom of this. Most say we will have around 10. You keep saying closer to 20. So name those 20 scholarship OL... Let's figure this out. 

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Jalil Irvin, Nick Brahms, Kaleb Kim, Tashawn Manning, Brodarious Hamm, Kam Stutts, Mike Horton, Bailey Sharp, Austin Troxell, Jack Driscoll, Prince Tega, Prince Michael, Marquel Harrell. 

Everyone else are long snappers or walk-ons that won't play.  That list sure isn't pushing 20.

Edit the 3 signees should also be added Osborne, Bell, and Jones.  Which would take the total to 16, which IS closer to your number.

Now subtract the 6 that are graduating...and apparently Sammons as well.

9 or 10 OL for 2020 before any '20 signees. Of those 9- 10, Troxell and Osborne are the only tackles.

Relax, we're in good hands. All positions are well stocked with depth and talent , except maybe LB. I don't know why y'all keep pointing at the numbers at OL. We're fine there....

2 hours ago, TigerOne said:

This portal thing is going to gut a lot of programs. Especially if a team is struggling or the player decides he doesn't like the coach, school or team anymore.

A modified one and done

I agree, programs that show inconsistency in certain areas on the field or frequent coaching/staff turn-over can sour a player and they will explore the portal to gauge interest from others.  I'm riding the fence on the whole thing right now.  In a way, good for the player to now have the option to make a change if they deem it necessary - on the other hand, good for the school to "process" out a player they can't find a role for and replace him with a better fit and improves the chances of success on the field.

I'm not sure AU has had any negative ramifications from it yet, but who knows what the future holds with the HC on the hot seat going into his 7th season? 

It's not going to "gut" a "lot" of schools. 

Non-contributors will seek opportunities elsewhere. Who cares. Schools will also shop just like they always have. And the players will almost always move laterally or down in competition. bama and Clemson aren't stocking their rosters with depth guys from G5 programs. Come on. 

The exception will be major program events such as sanctions or coaching changes. Well, players should be allowed to leave programs that didn't maintain integrity, and there's always a lot of player turnover associated with coaching changes, except it's usually the coaches initiating it. 

Keep an eye on the guys who transferred from Auburn this year. They won't be going to our competition. They'll be transferring down. This will help players and schools alike to get out of bad scholarships. 

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's not going to "gut" a "lot" of schools. 

Non-contributors will seek opportunities elsewhere. Who cares. Schools will also shop just like they always have. And the players will almost always move laterally or down in competition. bama and Clemson aren't stocking their rosters with depth guys from G5 programs. Come on. 

The exception will be major program events such as sanctions or coaching changes. Well, players should be allowed to leave programs that didn't maintain integrity, and there's always a lot of player turnover associated with coaching changes, except it's usually the coaches initiating it. 

Keep an eye on the guys who transferred from Auburn this year. They won't be going to our competition. They'll be transferring down. This will help players and schools alike to get out of bad scholarships. 

This mostly what is going on......players leaving school A for school B were probably not going to be a factor at school A they year they transferred though I expect some of the QBs that are moving like Fields and Martell might have helped their teams in a year or so.     Sometimes the player is in over his head....but sometimes the player is just too impatient to wait out the guy in front. 

I was good with the portal idea early on....but after the NCAA gave OSU a free pass on the dawg QB I figure it's gonna almost be free agency....no waiting period.  Pretty soon , if not already, some behind he scenes recruiting.  I can easily see a parent/mentor/etc. of a dissatisfied player out shopping the kid to other schools...….likely this will end up getting dirty...JMO 

20 hours ago, keesler said:

Tre' Williams (2014) - undrafted

FWIW - the NFL was aware of, and rightly concerned, with the injury Tre' Williams was struggling with his senior season. No team wants to waste a draft pick on a player they were pretty certain was going to sit out the whole season (if he ever played again). This turned out the best for Tre' and he looks to be back to 100% now and has already been picked up by the Lions. I know more about his circumstances than many since he had to miss my wedding because of the timing of the surgery and recovery. 😛 He went through a lot and I am super happy for him to be given a chance now to show what he can do. :)

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sometimes the player is in over his head....but sometimes the player is just too impatient to wait out the guy in front. 

Or sometimes a guy like Deshaun Davis is told to transfer by a guy like Will Muschamp. 

Regardless of why, certain guys just aren't going to produce at certain schools. Or certain recruiting promises aren't kept. Both the schools and the players should be able to go a different direction when that becomes apparent. 

This is better. Might be harder on the coaches but that's why they get paid the big bucks. 

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

This mostly what is going on......players leaving school A for school B were probably not going to be a factor at school A they year they transferred though I expect some of the QBs that are moving like Fields and Martell might have helped their teams in a year or so.     Sometimes the player is in over his head....but sometimes the player is just too impatient to wait out the guy in front. 

I was good with the portal idea early on....but after the NCAA gave OSU a free pass on the dawg QB I figure it's gonna almost be free agency....no waiting period.  Pretty soon , if not already, some behind he scenes recruiting.  I can easily see a parent/mentor/etc. of a dissatisfied player out shopping the kid to other schools...….likely this will end up getting dirty...JMO 

And some programs will actively seek out players from other programs, i.e. is AU/Gus interested in any of the Mizzou players?  It may feel like poaching, but IMO if AU can benefit from a Mizzou transfer and plug a hole then go for it!

47 minutes ago, keesler said:

And some programs will actively seek out players from other programs, i.e. is AU/Gus interested in any of the Mizzou players?  It may feel like poaching, but IMO if AU can benefit from a Mizzou transfer and plug a hole then go for it!

You have to use the rules to your advantage, but walk that fine line razors edge at times too!

1 hour ago, toddc said:

You have to use the rules to your advantage, but walk that fine line razors edge at times too!

To me, the Mizzou players are free game at this point.  If they want to leave and don't have sit out a year by NCAA rules, and AU can fill a spot - then make it happen.

Archived