2017 5* OT Calvin Ashley Transfers from AU

RunInRed

RIR, thanks for posting the video. Very impressive. I forgot just how big Calvin is. A year ago, he was 6'7". He may be taller now. He looks a little like Shaq, the basketball Shaq. He is well spoken, and seems very mature. I do think he has a chance to start as a true freshman. Can't wait for him to put on the Orange and Blue.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIR, thanks for posting the video. Very impressive. I forgot just how big Calvin is. A year ago, he was 6'7". He may be taller now. He looks a little like Shaq, the basketball Shaq. He is well spoken, and seems very mature. I do think he has a chance to start as a true freshman. Can't wait for him to put on the Orange and Blue.

Big time, highly rated tackles like him seems to be able to start immediately. Even at places like Alabama with Cam Robinson, Ole Miss with Tunsil, Martez Ivey at Florida( even though a knee injury delayed his first appearance a couple weeks.) So basically Ashley will be expected to start immediately and then go high in the draft in three years.

Thanks for posting RIR. Calvin is special

I remember WDEWDE and/or ellitor saying awhile back that he was our most important recruit in many years. That includes guys like Robinson, Coleman, Lawson, Cowart...

I remember WDEWDE and/or ellitor saying awhile back that he was our most important recruit in many years. That includes guys like Robinson, Coleman, Lawson, Cowart...

Cal is very important for Auburn especially playing the tackle position. Imo he is better prepared then Tez was and I loved Tez. Cal has played in a more diverse offense then Tez did at Apopka. It's going to be a battle till the end with him

I love the work ethic his coach describes. Not taking anything for granted.

Cal is very important for Auburn especially playing the tackle position. Imo he is better prepared then Tez was and I loved Tez. Cal has played in a more diverse offense then Tez did at Apopka. It's going to be a battle till the end with him

He didn't appear to be wavering at all.

Didn't say he was but the gators will use every trick in the book.................primarily negative recruiting.

Didn't say he was but the gators will use every trick in the book.................primarily negative recruiting.

Barring a staff change I think CA will be a tough pull. I think he fell in love w/ AU. Also talk is Miami is supposedly the biggest threat right now.

McElwain, Kirby... the saban hydra has been set upon us.

Really look forward to getting this guy on campus. I agree he'll be expected to start from day 1 and if he doesn't that means we'll have some really impressive OTs that year. Having guys this good committed this earlier really helps with pulling in other big name players. We may not have a lot of recruits yet for this cycle but the ones we have a impressive!

The young man will be good for AU mainly because of his character.....I believe he will be a great leader and motivate those around him to be better humans.

It would be nice to have a couple of his kind in every class :wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle:

From what everybody's saying, there aren't many of his kind in any class. But I'm of the opinion that Gus has mostly recruited great kids out of high school. No team is without attitudes or the occasional youthful indiscretion. Elijah Daniel and Duke Williams were obvious exceptions, but overall Gus has recruited good kids. I still find it really impressive that he's had 2 consecutive years of every kid making it to the first day of classes, and, in general, we have great retention. Attrition in general has been about normal, but the vast majority of guys who have left early have done so for football reasons or to take a crack at the NFL. Elijah Daniel and Duke Williams are the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head.

Regardless of whatever football issues we may or may not have, a lot of really good kids want to play for Gus. That's not nothing.

• 1 month later...

Calvin Ashley is transferring again. This will be his 4th high school. He was previously at First Academy & I believe Dr. Phillips before that. This St Johns is in Washington DC.

@whiteboii_Cali 18h18 hours ago

2016-17 Schedule 1f608.png1f6e1.png26aa.png1f534.png2694.pngwebicon_green.png

CmjRWoEWAAI9epd.jpg

From Florida 247 Link

I was told that he is in fact expected to play for St. John's in DC this fall.

Are these private schools? Or is the family moving to the area to be able to change schools like that? Does this change things for Auburn?

Are these private schools? Or is the family moving to the area to be able to change schools like that? Does this change things for Auburn?

1. Yes 2. Parents don't need to move for Private Christian schools. There is no zoning rules for that. This St Johns is in Washington DC. 3. From a commitment stand point no, but it is concerning overall to see a kid transfer so much.

Yeah, if anybody could explain what this might actually mean- if anything- it would be much appreciated.

It does not mean anything per say. It was just an update on Calvin making another high school change.

Yeah, if anybody could explain what this might actually mean- if anything- it would be much appreciated.

It does not mean anything per say. It was just an update on Calvin making another high school change.

Oh, definitely not complaining that it was posted. But Mikey had a pretty emotional reaction to it so I was just wondering if this was something to be concerned about. I guess DC is farther away than FL...

Didn't Bo Scarbrough transfer a lot in high school and had to enroll a semester late? What is the purpose in Calvin Ashley moving to DC?

Didn't Bo Scarbrough transfer a lot in high school and had to enroll a semester late? What is the purpose in Calvin Ashley moving to DC?

No clue. His tweet & the UF report is all I have seen. He will play much better competition though than at First Academy. FA is a small Florida school that doesn't play many well known teams. As you can tell from the ST John's schedule above they play some high school heavyweights. 4 of this year's preseason top 20 nationally as rated by MaxPreps. Also do not know if it was a reason but getting him away from in state pressure is a benefit for AU.

No clue. His tweet & the UF report is all I have seen. He will play much better competition though than at First Academy. FA is a small Florida school that doesn't play many well known teams. As you can tell from the ST John's schedule above they play some high school heavyweights. 4 of this year's preseason top 20 nationally as rated by MaxPreps. Also do not know if it was a reason but getting him away from in state pressure is a benefit for AU.

That's the first thing I thought of too.

Archived