Trayvon Reed - Misdemeanor punishment

mustache eagle

Shocked this was not already on here. Saw a AUC blip that reed is to serve 15 days jail time starting mid-may.

Is school still going then and what does that do to his academic semester.

I'm not gonna address the woulda should as of the situation.

I simply am curious, for discussions sake ... When has an auburn athlete served jail time and remained in good standing. I understand we knew this was a possibility but I find it crazy.

Thoughts?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shocked this was not already on here. Saw a AUC blip that reed is to serve 15 days jail time starting mid-may.

Is school still going then and what does that do to his academic semester.

I'm not gonna address the woulda should as of the situation.

I simply am curious, for discussions sake ... When has an auburn athlete served jail time and remained in good standing. I understand we knew this was a possibility but I find it crazy.

Thoughts?

surprised to see this....figured since AU took him in, there was no longer that possibility of jail sentence....though I guess until the case was resolved, that was always out there.

Taking a guy who still had an unresolved legal issue sounds a lot like the stuff we have been pounding bama over. I will be happy when the day arrives that we let the juvenile delinquents get their second chance (or 3rd chance) elsewhere.JMO

Classes end May 1st, then there's finals with graduation May 10, so from the timing aspect he should be ok. It's odd to me that a judge would sit down hard on jail time when a young offender is to all appearances doing well in college.

Maybe it's one of those "you had to be there" situations?

The kid deserves to be punished if he scuffled with police but my initial reaction was surprise at jail time ... And moreso that it was double digit days.

Maybe this was the judges way to get his attention knowing it was not going to adversely affect his good works/standing at auburn.

Quite frankly the kid will basically spend his entire break in jail. Maybe the length of time was purposeful to keep him out of trouble while out of school. He'll finishe the semester ... Drive to jail ... Then drive back to auburn to be under CBP's watch.

I still can't think of an athlete that did jail time and remained on scholly

The kid deserves to be punished if he scuffled with police but my initial reaction was surprise at jail time ... And moreso that it was double digit days.

Maybe this was the judges way to get his attention knowing it was not going to adversely affect his good works/standing at auburn.

Quite frankly the kid will basically spend his entire break in jail. Maybe the length of time was purposeful to keep him out of trouble while out of school. He'll finishe the semester ... Drive to jail ... Then drive back to auburn to be under CBP's watch.

I still can't think of an athlete that did jail time and remained on scholly

True but BP had to know something was coming....and as far as AU is concerned, I expect that his punishment has already been meted out.

Hope when he gets back, it is "over" and he can just keep his nose clean from here on out and take advantage of the great opportunity he has as an AU student.

They were prepared for this. No big deal. He is in good standing with AU and the coaches. Just a penalty for a long past bad decision.

In hindsight, the risk certainly seems much greater than the reward turned out to be IMO

In hindsight, the risk certainly seems much greater than the reward turned out to be IMO

I think it's too early to tell what the reward side is yet.

He needs to be an All-American to justify him serving a damn jail sentence while he's a student at AU, IMO. This certainly doesn't help BP or AU's national reputation with a story line like this.

And to be fair, for the most part, you can identify whether or not a guy is going to have a pro career early on which is why lottery picks are 18 years old these days. That's not to say he can't turn into something special for AU, he came in to AU under some difficult circumstances, and that held him back for sure.

Way back when, Otis Mounds spent 10 months in jail before coming to Auburn. I don't think he received his scholarship offer until after he got out though.

He needs to be an All-American to justify him serving a damn jail sentence while he's a student at AU, IMO. This certainly doesn't help BP or AU's national reputation with a story line like this.

And to be fair, for the most part, you can identify whether or not a guy is going to have a pro career early on which is why lottery picks are 18 years old these days. That's not to say he can't turn into something special for AU, he came in to AU under some difficult circumstances, and that held him back for sure.

This is true with a lot of kids and positions but not so much with 7'2" centers. He could look terrible for 3 years at AU then finally fill out his body in the fourth year and BAM! be an all NBA player for 10 years. Now he may never fill out and never be a great player. But with his body type and size its way too early to say whether or not he can be an NBA player.

I also find it strange to give 14 day jail sentence AND allow him to plead youthful offender. But since judge's don't have to answer for the decisions they make I guess we will never know.

He's serving time for a crime well known to Auburn when he signed. What's the basis for cutting him now that didn't exist before? The facts were known.

He's serving time for a crime well known to Auburn when he signed. What's the basis for cutting him now that didn't exist before? The facts were known.

I don's see anyone suggesting that now...but there are questions in my mind at least about whether BP knew this was likely.... and took him anyway.

That would bother me 'cause he should not have played until that problem was totally resolved.

Generally when we take someone with baggage, the issues have been resolved, penalties served, etc.

As noted, having a guy serve a jail sentence after he has been playing for a full season....and then letting him come back again? ...that just does not sound good.

I don's see anyone suggesting that now...but there are questions in my mind at least about whether BP knew this was likely.... and took him anyway.

That would bother me 'cause he should not have played until that problem was totally resolved.

Generally when we take someone with baggage, the issues have been resolved, penalties served, etc.

As noted, having a guy serve a jail sentence after he has been playing for a full season....and then letting him come back again? ...that just does not sound good.

Is the penalty the problem or the crime?

If I recall correctly, I griped about bringing him to AU back yonder when he was signed....but got all these "holier than thou" and "everyone deserves a second chance" justifications to get a player that they wanted. Most people on this board seem willing to award scholarships to guys who have committed "jail offense type crimes" prior to attending AU .....so guess that ship has sailed.....though I still don't like it.

Perhaps I'm just taking advantage of my second chance to address this issue....but assuming that Auburn is willing to be known as "second chance U" it does at the least seem reasonable that the issue (including punishment) be totally resolved before we let the player have the privilege of playing in an Auburn uniform. Can anyone say....Jonathan Taylor?

I have no problem with AU giving athletes a second chance to clean up their act and becoming productive members of society. It worked well for Cam and Nick. I also understand your trepidation about this athlete's situation. I've never heard of a similar situation. I think it's possible that Coach Pearl may have believed that him showing positive signs of improvement may have convinced the judge to not sentence the athlete to anything.

I have no problem with AU giving athletes a second chance to clean up their act and becoming productive members of society. It worked well for Cam and Nick. I also understand your trepidation about this athlete's situation. I've never heard of a similar situation. I think it's possible that Coach Pearl may have believed that him showing positive signs of improvement may have convinced the judge to not sentence the athlete to anything.

I agree, BP probably thought he could make this go away if Reed behaved himself for a year....but messing with police is not a forgivable crime in most places.

As for second chances....I'm good with second chances but what I have problems with is the special treatment that prospective athletes get...allowing guys (since it is mostly young men) to attend AU on full scholarship whereas I will bet the rent money that with the school's rigorous admission standards, a non-athlete with Reed's history would be lucky to get a computer generated "thanks but no thanks" from the Admissions Office.

I love sports and Auburn sports in particular.... but I don't like where the pressures to win have taken the school. JMO

I agree, BP probably thought he could make this go away if Reed behaved himself for a year....but messing with police is not a forgivable crime in most places.

As for second chances....I'm good with second chances but what I have problems with is the special treatment that prospective athletes get...allowing guys (since it is mostly young men) to attend AU on full scholarship whereas I will bet the rent money that with the school's rigorous admission standards, a non-athlete with Reed's history would be lucky to get a computer generated "thanks but no thanks" from the Admissions Office.

I love sports and Auburn sports in particular.... but I don't like where the pressures to win have taken the school. JMO

While I support what you are saying as a whole, I have to differ to what is actually going on in big time athletics, (i.e. Top 5 conferences.). I don't like it any more than you do, but it is a fact that schools have to skirt the gray areas to get players that will lead to success. I sincerely believe that Coach Pearl felt that this player would not have served time. It was a gamble, I give you that. I think CBP felt it was a gamble that he could win. Hopefully, this player uses his second chance that CBP has given him and he succeeds.

This was the story at the time, seems like a Jameis W story to start with and then a J Taylor story to end with (felony assault charge initially. With possible 2 10-year sentences pending you have to wonder how well this was thought out:

According to court documents, two plainclothes officers working in the store saw Reed putting a Twix ice cream bar into his pants pocket and leaving the store without paying.

When one of the officers saw Reed take the ice cream from his pocket in the parking lot, the officer showed his identification to Reed and an unidentified male companion and told Reed he was under arrest.

As the officer tried to arrest him, Reed tried to run away but the officer grabbed him. A scuffle ensued and police said Reed fought the officer “with his hands” and struck the officer on the left hand.

The officer, who needed the help of his partner to subdue Reed, wound up with two broken fingers.

Aside from the ice cream bar, valued at $2.11, police found in Reed’s possession a four-pack of Reese’s Cups also priced at $2.11 as well as a two-pack of King Sized Reese’s Cups worth $1.37.

The second-degree assault charges carry sentences of 10 years each, and fines ranging from $2,500 to $5,000 (for assaulting an officer). The theft charge carries a maximum term of 90 days in jail and/or a $500 fine; resisting arrest carries a maximum term of three years in jail and a $5,000 fine.

If I recall correctly, I griped about bringing him to AU back yonder when he was signed....but got all these "holier than thou" and "everyone deserves a second chance" justifications to get a player that they wanted. Most people on this board seem willing to award scholarships to guys who have committed "jail offense type crimes" prior to attending AU .....so guess that ship has sailed.....though I still don't like it.

Perhaps I'm just taking advantage of my second chance to address this issue....but assuming that Auburn is willing to be known as "second chance U" it does at the least seem reasonable that the issue (including punishment) be totally resolved before we let the player have the privilege of playing in an Auburn uniform. Can anyone say....Jonathan Taylor?

I wasn't comfortable with the decision, either. But once you make it knowing all the facts, you've made it and have accepted the consequences, IMO.

Hide the new peanut butter cup Oreos from Reed.

A kid 7 feet tall sneaking around stealing a few bucks worth of candy...kind of a pathetic situation.

The big mistake was resisting the police which I guess could have been panic setting in though I don't know how he figured that someone would not be able to identify him later on. But, knowing the background of the arrest makes me a bit more sympathetic..,, still, a big risk for BP ...but I guess it is going to work out.

OK, I know I'm coming into this thread a little late but I don't see what all the chatter is about.

The young man did something wrong and now he will deal with the consequences with the legal system. I'm sure CBP will also bave some character building programs.

End of story.

Archived