Trayvon Reed - Misdemeanor punishment

mustache eagle

My main reason to start the thread was to see if anyone can think of any similar circumstances before at auburn - kid goes to jail while an auburn student athlete and remains in good standing (I know the circumstances were known - every situation is unique).

Someone mentioned Otis mounds pre arrival jail time. Anyone else? Heck anything like this at other schools?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My main reason to start the thread was to see if anyone can think of any similar circumstances before at auburn - kid goes to jail while an auburn student athlete and remains in good standing (I know the circumstances were known - every situation is unique).

Someone mentioned Otis mounds pre arrival jail time. Anyone else? Heck anything like this at other schools?

Edited by mustache eagle, Today, 07:03 PM.

I guess 5 days in lock up doesn't rise to my level of "...going to jail..." Six months or a year, then there's something to talk about.

Over 50 years ago, I spend one night in jail for calling a red neck, hick town city cop a "dumb S** of a B****", which he was! I went on to attend Auburn, have a good career, great kids, and one loving wife.

Some things just don't rise to the level of drama people want to attact to it. IMHO

kid really screwed up. i can overlook the theft, even the resisting arrest. he was a kid and did panic and these were not uniformed officers. he is lucky he didnt get roughed up pretty bad or worse. how he procedes is what i will judge him by.

• 1 month later...

I remember he was supposed to have served a 15 day Sentence starting sometime in first half of May. I am assuming he has served his sentence. Is he back on Campus and working with the program on strength and conditioning?

• 1 month later...

I saw his HS highlights and he could run for a big man and was a shot blocker. Then when watching him last year (I know he arrived late and this affected him) he was skinnier and weaker then I realized and also he allowed players to get to close to him so that instead of blocking the shot he got in foul trouble. I am not sure how much coaches can wok with him during the summer on basketball skills but he should have be working with strength coaches since he returned. He should have about 6 weeks under his belt has there been any noticeable improvement in strength area.

I keep asking as I really think that is the key to next year.

I actually found the answer to my own question in an AL.com article. He weighed 220 pounds when he arrived in Auburn. He put on 12 pounds during the season and has put on another 18 Pounds since bringing him to 250 pounds. his goal is another 10-15 pounds. He is also working with Coach Person to establish an all round game things like Jump Hooks to add to his offensive production.

It is not often that I get much from AL.COM but this was exactly what I was looking for.

If this kid could get a baby jump hook ... Give him 10 points a game to go with his blocks ... And I would assume some consistent rebounding with the added bulk.

I said this before, but he reminds me of mamadou. Go back and look at mamadous ever increasing stats through college. If this young man can match or exceed those ... Would be awesome.

I personally think reed is more athletic than mamadou and therefore hope his high side is higher. That would be awesome.

he missed an entire summer and fall semester preparing and Bruce quickly realized this and cut his minutes and told him here is what he needs to do and gave him a plan before continuously throwing him out there and killing his confidence. gonna see major improvement this year

I'm pretty impressed if he's really around the 250lb mark. That would be a substantial improvement.

He looks like he is big enough now to be a presence in the paint. I think he is the key to next year. We have some really great players coming in with some solid returning players. While he won't be the best player out there he will provide the one thing we have been lacking for many years an inside presence with enough strength to hold his position, who can block shots but even more important than blocking shots is altering shots. If he can be a decent rebounder and also add a few points in the paint he will complement the other players. His impact will be greater than his actual play as he could provide the missing piece to make Auburn an SEC contender and get us into the tournament.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Various pay site admins reporting Trayvon Reed has been dismissed from the team.

If true, sounds like there was more going on with him than just getting that jail sentence out of the way.

As noted above, he looks like a guy ready to play Div 1 basketball....but maybe not for AU? :dunno:

Can't say I'm surprised, but can't say I'm not disappointed either. He was a big man who could've been developed into a quality player.

Interesting development...might be better for the long haul considering the talent that is now looking at AU. We don't have to sacrifice character for talent's sake. Reed was kind of on an other level with this, considering he had to spend time in jail while being a student. Lol has that even happened before?

I have a hard time thinking losing a 7'2" player that appears to be ready physically is a good thing. Doubtless, for whatever reason it was deserved but it's a shame he didn't pan out.

I don't think a fight with Duke caused this. Too much time has passed and there's a very real question whether a fight had anything at all to do with Duke's difficulty. D. Craig said a fight wasn't a factor with Duke.

Archived