Scott Walker, forever tarnished: Republican governors have tanked the GOP brand

Auctoritas

Titan.....I understand. But is it unreasonable to try to look at the big picture rather than singling out one or two people? The rules are simple to read. Just enforce them across the board as best you can. Interesting though, I just noticed the rules that used to be pinned aren't there anymore or am I missing them?

All I m asking/suggesting it that you state what the rules are and enforce them fairly. Is that unreasonable?

I removed it because it wasn't working. It doesn't account for how conversations happen and it's extremely hard to enforce. As I said, it's in flux.

I am looking at the big picture. The fact that I may use one person's post as an example doesn't mean I'm not thinking big picture. In fact, the ability to see the distinction between the two people cited here is pretty good evidence of seeing the big picture. I'm not interested in some nitpicking style of moderating that results in a constant flood of tattle-tale reports and doesn't take into account patterns of behavior, context and so on. We'll come up with some broad rules and guidelines and enforce them as consistently as we can, but no one has the time or the interest in being hall monitor to middle schoolers.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough. I look forward to seeing the rules. I hope name calling and slinging insults is at the top of the list. and if you see me doing it slap me up the side of the head with a brick.

Fair enough. I look forward to seeing the rules. I hope name calling and slinging insults is at the top of the list. and if you see me doing it slap me up the side of the head with a brick.

As I've tried to say several times now, if the only thing that's going to make you happy are hard and fast rules on every single instance of name calling, no matter how innocuous or what the context, then I'd go ahead and stock up on Zoloft.

Titan - you cherry picked. It's a rambling mash up of everything they said, but it's out of context, confusing & not indicative of the matter being discussed.

The facts as you claim did NOT blow anything to hell.

This is absurd. Most of you are complaining, the same way you argue/discuss. Your positions are not based on what is factual or thoughtful. Your positions are strictly partisan.

Titan - you cherry picked. It's a rambling mash up of everything they said, but it's out of context, confusing & not indicative of the matter being discussed.

Dang. Must he beat you over the head with his cyber stick for it to sink in? Did the evidence in post 23 bounce right off of you?

Come on Ben.....you are usually a fair minded guy and we disagree civily, most of the time. Are you suggesting that name calling and slinging insults is done by only one or two people?

If nothing else comes out of this thread maybe it will cause everyone to pause and reflect on the words they are about to say about another poster.

Come on Ben.....you are usually a fair minded guy and we disagree civily, most of the time. Are you suggesting that name calling and slinging insults is done by only one or two people?

If nothing else comes out of this thread maybe it will cause everyone to pause and reflect on the words they are about to say about another poster.

I do not think that is the point. I believe the point is raising the level of discussion.

If the ability to make one's mind impervious to fact, reason or truth were a superpower, you'd have your own comic book.

Of course not, but the accusation that Titan is cherry picking is ridiculous.

It's in the eye of the beholder.

Go back and look at the post where I was singled out as an example of a bad post which I admitted was bad. But go look at that overall thread and the names and insults that have been thrown at me and tell me why I was singled out.

The only small point he has is that I didn't provide context. Doing so would have been next to impossible, but I did read the context. Believe me, if anyone thinks the way I did it was bad, context would have looked like I was piling on.

The only small point he has is that I didn't provide context. Doing so would have been next to impossible, but I did read the context. Believe me, if anyone thinks the way I did it was bad, context would have looked like I was piling on.

LOL.

No reasonable person should disagree with you on the matter.

I'm here enough to know that Tim's posts don't usually extend beyond "Libs are ignorant/stupid/evil BWAHAHAHA!"

No I got it......you have a different definition of insults than I do. So be it.

And you don't think the regular cartoon of an old crazy guy is insulting?

No I got it......you have a different definition of insults than I do. So be it.

And you don't think the regular cartoon of an old crazy guy is insulting?

We don't have a different definition so much as we have a different tolerance level. You want a hard and fast rule. I'm telling you that considering things such as severity, repetitiveness, a pattern and context will be more like it. Maybe that won't work, but the idea is just to engender good discussions, not just play nanny to a bunch of adults who ought to be able to handle themselves on the petty stuff. We'll just have to see.

And one poster refers to old white men a lot but I guess that's OK and different.

You know, that's actually an interesting one that made me put the :popcorn: down for a minute.

I actually don't know which poster you are talking about, you can PM me the name if you'd like, but I imagine that Old White Men is more tongue-in-cheek than intended to be an insult, as it is playing on the vast disparity in demographics in the two parties.

More to the point, though: is "old white men" an insult? Or, rather, is it any more of an inferred insult than calling someone a liberal? I think both are an attempt to create stigma - establishment of an in-group and an out-group, and then creating a moral power differential between them. But I don't know that it is out of bounds because we've already created the social groupings by dint of our belief structures.

One of the biggest failings of the Left is not taking that word back from the extreme right-wing and making it so it isn't something that is intended to make someone ashamed. We don't use "conservative" in the same manner, so it's not terribly surprising that those on the left given to such mudslinging would try to come up with a euphemism that conveys the same contempt used by the Right when the word "Liberal!" is hurled around as if to be one is unAmerican.

Auctoritas...I understand. But what is offensive is how a word is used and the "tone of voice" which is obviously not possible here. But I think if you watch an exchange of several posts between people, and a questionable word is used, you can pretty accurately tell if it intended to be ugly or not.

If we all, including me, said in our posts the same thing and words we would use if we were sitting together as Auburn people I bet they would be different. Agree?

But true. Usn's 2 posts ( # 11 and # 12 , to be exact ) in the GOP / Islam thread are all one needs to see a clear example.

But true. Usn's 2 posts in this very thread are all one needs to see

I agree....

Maybe a tougher enforcement of the posted rules re. name calling would be a good start.

Posted by Proud Tiger on 18 April 2015 - 07:52 PM in Politically Speaking...

I won't forget boy. You and sailor boy are two peas in a rotten pod.

Pot calling kettle black. You have never called anybody here anything nasty right?

Bot OMG I just used a racial slur against the pot.

Pot calling kettle black. You have never called anybody here anything nasty right?

Bot OMG I just used a racial slur against the pot.

Honestly, you are not intelligent enough to understand the difference between calling someone an idiot and, using a racial slur or questioning the service of an active military member because of his politics?

Archived