Freddie Gray possibly had back surgery a week before his death.

cooltigger21

Now if this is true it still doesn't absolve the police of any misconduct in this incident. It just adds a new piece to the puzzle. What exactly it means and what it may or may not have contributed to his death we don't know. We always tend to jump to conclusions that the police did something wrong in these situations and want to string them up and lynch them before we know all the facts of what and did not happen. I will repeat once again, although it shouldn't be necessary, that if the investigation determines that there was misconduct on the part of the police, they should be held fully accountable. Some people don't want to wait though. They'd rather just go ahead and jump to a conclusion that the cops are evil and need to be reigned in. http://thefourthestate.co/2015/04/breaking-freddy-gray-had-spine-surgery-just-one-week-before-arrest/

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dubious source. I'll remain leery until a mainstream news outlet picks it up.

Doesn't really explain the crushed windpipe, either.

MSM is part of the problem, but if true, I doubt the MSM will run with it. As for the second part, he had a history of violent and non-violent crimes...18 times. Although, I guess that it's certainly possible that the mean ol' police were just picking on him.

Skeptical . But the repeated & often use of the words " severed spinal chord " raises warning flags. I can't recall hearing an injury described so frequently & graphically as this one, yet no one knows what the hell happened ? Or how.

Skeptical . But the repeated & often use of the words " severed spinal chord " raises warning flags. I can't recall hearing an injury described so frequently & graphically as this one, yet no one knows what the hell happened ? Or how.

Actually, it's not something I'm entirely unfamiliar with.

I recall hearing stories of people being having all four limbs cuffed behind their backs and thrown into the back of a wagon. The driver would then proceed to take the scenic route. The scenic route generally had lots of speed bumps.

MSM is part of the problem, but if true, I doubt the MSM will run with it.

OK. I don't agree, but OK.

As for the second part, he had a history of violent and non-violent crimes...18 times. Although, I guess that it's certainly possible that the mean ol' police were just picking on him.

:dunno:

I've heard that but what is the source other than the family attorney? Nothing has come from the ME stating anything one way or the other. Again I said that I don't know what it does or doesn't mean. It's just a new piece to be considered. You already have the police officers convicted and hanged before there has even been a trial. If they are at fault and then by all means hold them accountable. Kinda reminds me of HUDS. We "knew" a lot of things about that incident that were reported by the ever so reliable MSM that didn't turn out to be true.

Actually, it's not something I'm entirely unfamiliar with.

I recall hearing stories of people being having all four limbs cuffed behind their backs and thrown into the back of a wagon. The driver would then proceed to take the scenic route. The scenic route generally had lots of speed bumps.

But why this guy ? He wasn't a child rapist , was he? Doesn't sound like he was.

As for the second part, he had a history of violent and non-violent crimes...18 times. Although, I guess that it's certainly possible that the mean ol' police were just picking on him.

My point is, there is NOTHING that points to malicious intent one way or the other aside from skepticism and the police record of a lifetime criminal. But since the MSM has run with these stories, what's the most popular opinion of the supposed police brutality narrative - particularly when it comes to blacks?

But why this guy ? He wasn't a child rapist , was he? Doesn't sound like he was.

Not really necessary to be guilty of a horrendous crime to get the 5-0 on your bad side. Could be as simple as pissing them off by fleeing.

My point is, there is NOTHING that points to malicious intent one way or the other aside from skepticism and the police record of a lifetime criminal. But since the MSM has run with these stories, what's the most popular opinion of the supposed police brutality narrative - particularly when it comes to blacks?

Hang on...you don't think a crushed windpipe and severed spinal cord would point to malicious intent? You think those are naturally occurring injuries in the course of apprehending a suspect?

My point is, there is NOTHING that points to malicious intent one way or the other aside from skepticism and the police record of a lifetime criminal.

There is the fact that we have a guy that suffered fatal injuries in police custody that quite possibly could have resulted from a not uncommon police practice. That's not "NOTHING."

But since the MSM has run with these stories, what's the most popular opinion of the supposed police brutality narrative - particularly when it comes to blacks?

I was challenging your contention that the media wouldn't run the story. Didn't exactly hide all the unsavory details about Michael Brown or Trayvon Martin, did they?

Freddie Grey was mistreated. End of story.

Let the riots continue. They will get change one way or the other.....

:dunno:/>

This just shows no matter what situation it will be ok with somebody

Not really necessary to be guilty of a horrendous crime to get the 5-0 on your bad side. Could be as simple as pissing them off by fleeing.

He wasn't a stranger to the cops, it seems

End of story ? Not so fast. I think more info is needed.

A lot more.

End of story ? Not so fast. I think more info is needed.

A lot more.

No reason for him to be killed. Period! Police need to stop being lazy and use alternative means of apprehension when needed instead of using brute force.

He wasn't a stranger to the cops, it seems

Being a guy that slings drugs and lives in the hood, I'm not exactly shocked by that.

Here's an example of another guy that got a "rough ride" for a fairly innocuous crime.

We don't know why he was arrested, how he was treated, what actions he may have taken ( got physical ) with cops, was he killed or died as result of gross negligence or some freak accident .i say the Mayor should be on this more than getting in front of cameras & blaming the msm for things she literally said.

We don't know why he was arrested, how he was treated, what actions he may have taken ( got physical ) with cops, was he killed or died as result of gross negligence or some freak accident .i say the Mayor should be on this more than getting in front of cameras & blaming the msm for things she literally said.

Hey listen, the standard take on this is the po po is guilty until proven innocent.

According to the case report, which you can query here, the charge is "CDS:POSSESS-NOT MARIJUANA." Maybe he was holding pills or something. Maybe they just arrested him because he fled and just happened across whatever he had, but I personally doubt that.

Most of the news reports indicate he was forcefully subdued and dragged back to the van. He was standing upright prior to being placed in the van. After the drive was underway they pulled over to "finish some paperwork" or something. He was said to be agitated, so they shackled his legs. When they arrived at the station, he was found to be in distress and an ambulance was called.

He was treated at the hospital for a broken neck and a crushed voice-box. Medical experts say these injuries are commonly caused by car accidents.

Personally, it sounds to me like they treated him to a rough ride.

It appears my decision to remain leery was a well-founded one.

Online reports are swirling that Freddie Gray had spinal surgery shortly before he died in police custody, and collected a payout in a settlement from a car accident. Those reports — which raise questions about the injury that led to his death in April 19 — point to Howard County court records as proof.

But court records examined Wednesday by The Baltimore Sun show the case had nothing to do with a car accident or a spine injury. Instead, they are connected to a lawsuit alleging that Gray and his sister were injured by exposure lead paint.

Paperwork was filed in December allowing Gray and his sister, Fredericka to each collect an $18,000 payment from Peachtree Settlement Funding, records show. In exchange, Peachtree would have received a $108,439 annuity that was scheduled to be paid in $602 monthly installments between 2024 and 2039.

In her documents, Fredericka Gray checked "other" when asked to describe the type of accident. She also said that the date of the accident was "94/99" and that she was a minor when the case was settled.

In his documents, Freddie Gray checked "work injury, medical malpractice and auto accident" as the type of accident. When asked to explain, he also wrote something that is unreadable. He also wrote something unreadable when asked if he was a minor when the case was settled.

Both cases were filed at the same time by a New Jersey law firm.

A judge dismissed the case on April 2 when neither Gray nor his sister appeared in court, records show.

Gray's death has sparked more than a week of protests in Baltimore including some that turned violent and led to looting.

Baltimore attorney William H. "Billy" Murphy, who represents the Gray family, confirmed that the Howard County case was connected to the lead paint lawsuit.

As children, Gray and his two sisters were found to have damaging lead levels in their blood, which led to educational, behavioral and medical problems, according to a lawsuit they filed in 2008 against the owner of a Sandtown-Winchester home the family rented for four years.

While the property owner countered in the suit that other factors could have contributed to the children's deficits — including poverty and their mother's drug use — the case was settled before going to trial in 2010. The terms of the settlement are not public.

The Free Republic website said Wednesday that Gray's "life-ending injuries to his spine may have possibly been the result of spinal and neck surgery that he allegedly received a week before he was arrested." The article also said the injury was a result of a car accident and cited thefourthesate.com as the source of information. The story did not cite any court records.

Free Republic has since removed the story from its website and could not be reached for comment.

Why has there not already been at least a preliminary report?

Why has there not already been at least a preliminary report?

Probably because they want to make no statement or release anything until all results are final.

Archived