Auburn NFL Draft Thread

AU-24

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should've known it'd look bleak when B/R had us putting up Alabama draft numbers (who isn't even putting up Alabama draft numbers this year)

It is still relatively early in the draft, but it seems as though Duke may have gotten some really good advice and Sammie did not.

Texas State got a player drafted before AU, the sky is falling <<<<<sarcasm

I think it was almost a consensus opinion on here that Sammie had more to gain coming back than Duke. Sammie isn't really good running routes, doesn't have elite hands, and scouts are quick to call someone injury prone. Duke just had to tweak his route running and improve a little on blocking. That's it. Realistically, they probably should've both stayed. Alas.

I agree 100%, it just seems like there were a lot of really good WR's in this class. That being said, I have no idea what the WR class looks like next year. I think Dukes catch radius and a more accurate QB will move him up a lot of draft boards next year.

Oh i knew his drop rate was that high. Go look back at some of my post on game day post and you will see how I felt about his drops.

That's almost a 1 in 5 rate though (which kinda coincides how he actually played out this year now that I think about it)

I should've known it'd look bleak when B/R had us putting up Alabama draft numbers (who isn't even putting up Alabama draft numbers this year)

It is still relatively early in the draft, but it seems as though Duke may have gotten some really good advice and Sammie did not.

I think it was almost a consensus opinion on here that Sammie had more to gain coming back than Duke. Sammie isn't really good running routes, doesn't have elite hands, and scouts are quick to call someone injury prone. Duke just had to tweak his route running and improve a little on blocking. That's it. Realistically, they probably should've both stayed. Alas.

I agree 100%, it just seems like there were a lot of really good WR's in this class. That being said, I have no idea what the WR class looks like next year. I think Dukes catch radius and a more accurate QB will move him up a lot of draft boards next year.

Kiper has him as #1 receiver in the nation in 2016

Dismukes in the 4th round to the Giants.

See i just dont understand he matt jones>CAP pick. CAP is worlds better imo

See i just dont understand he matt jones>CAP pick. CAP is worlds better imo

Agreed Matt Jones was the most "meh" running back in the SEC to me

Sammie was picked where he should've been IMO. Incredible athlete, but he's an average route runner with suspect hands. He's got his work cut out for him in Pittsburgh. Antonio Brown is all-pro and Martavious Bryant was an absolute beast last season. He's gonna have to fight for catches....

Duke Johnson at cleveland makes no sense though.

They have a solid stable and could have added to their weak WR core

How bout the Rams, that already have Tre Mason, take an injured Todd Gurley?

For whatever reason Tre seems to be highly underestimated everywhere he goes.

And yes, that includes AU. Go back and read when he was recruited.

it's not necessarily a reflection on Tre. Everyone needs two capable running backs at least.

Sammie was picked where he should've been IMO. Incredible athlete, but he's an average route runner with suspect hands. He's got his work cut out for him in Pittsburgh. Antonio Brown is all-pro and Martavious Bryant was an absolute beast last season. He's gonna have to fight for catches....

Hate that Sammie is a Steeler....just can't root for those guys...but hope he makes it and gets good playing time.

I think some of you aren't really grasping the whole NFL draft thing...

Yep

The safety that played opposite of me is the DB coach at Texas State and we were talking about him. He says he has a very high ceiling and is very underrated

Sammie had no reason to stay at AU, other then to play football. The only thing he needed to work on we're hands and route running and he graduated. It wasn't a sense that Duke got better advice, it was that Sammie had no reason to stay.

Well damn Angelo. I was not expecting that on the slightest. Congrats to him. Garner getting them to the NFL!

Gabe to the Lions.

So now we're basically waiting on Reese, nick, and cam.

Blackson going before Gabe is surprising to me. Gabe would show flashes and disappear at times, but I can't really remember a time I thought, "Wow, Blackson made that play" aside from one or two blocked field goals a few years ago. Either way, congrats to both. Hopefully we see a few more go today.

Very interesting read http://www.nfl.com/d...ates?id=2552470

Didn't realize Sammie's drop rate was that high, the second highest number I heard so far was 9% and he doubled that.

This came up in an article I read about three or four games into 2014. Sammie was still nursing an injury, but his completion to target rate was low. Some of this was due to bad passes from Nick, some was due to drops, and some was due, no doubt, to Sammie's small catch radius.

If you saw

, where he predicted Nick would throw it to Ricardo Louis, and commented Sammy Coates "doesn't have the reach, he catches everything with his body". Sammie got better in 2014, but not good enough for the NFL scouts.

Blackson seems like a surprise. NFL.com projected him in the 6th round. Wright I could never figure out. NFL.com projected him a 2nd or 3rd round, which seemed high given his performance at AU, especially in 2014.

Two 4th round NFL draft choices DTs, and our DL performance was a big problem last year. The NFL analysis suggests we had talent and potential. Our results suggest we did not get enough out of that talent and potential.

Archived