'Lord of the Flies' comes to Baltimore

DKW 86

It I'd funny but the out of wedlock birthrate just gets ignored in all of this. Prior to the 1960's racism was worse poverty was worse but we didn't have riots. Until people stop having children outside the institution of marriage then conditions will not get anything but worse. This broken windows policing is a relatively new phenomenon. Some will step up if they're not in jail but this is only s small percentage. I can't remember where I saw it but if you stop locking people up for nonviolent offenses the black incarceration rate drops maybe two or three points. That's not a lot. It is fine to do that but to think it is anywhere near s panacea is naive.

Poverty was not worse and despite having thrown $19 trillion dollars of federal and state funding at it, it is up from 10.5% in 1967 to 14.5% in 2014. Those living below the poverty line today is approaching 50 milllion citizens. I am hard pressed to believe that those who voted for the New Deal Great Society legislation would have cast those votes if they knew 50 years later and almost $20 trillion dollars spent there would be as many living in poverty as there was n the entire country at the time the bill became law. It was passed to eradicate poverty but instead has created an entitlement culture of dependency and victimization.

As Americans we should know, when we subsidize something we get more of it. When the federal govt started subsidizing illegitimacy with welfare benefits based on the number of children, did they really think out of wedlock birth rate would go done? That single entitlement has done more to destroy the black family unit than anything else. Incidentally the illegitimacy rate was about 18% for nonhispanic blacks in 1967 and is at 72% now resulting in very few male role models for young black men who are unemployed at much higher rates than any other race. Unemployed, no role models, living with an entitled mentality. Yea, thats going to solve all the problems of the black community, dont lock up the criminals!

Once again, the poverty rate does NOT measure the effects of many social programs. It only takes into account direct cash payments. Therefore, if you wish to see the effects of these programs on the poor, you have to dig a little deeper. The consumption poverty rate is a much better measure and, the results are evident, particularly for the very old and very young.

I think an objective, non politically slanted, view shows that, we have done quite a bit to lessen the effects of extreme poverty. However, our programs have not been successful in terms of making poor people less poor in the relative sense. The programs are not producing much in terms of self sufficiency. I am not sure they were designed with that thought in mind.

Can you provide a link to your claim of $19 trillion in welfare expenditures. According to the government, from 1960 forward, the total welfare expenditures combined (federal, state, local) is $9.9 trillion. Almost two-thirds of that total is from 2007 through 2014.

It is easy to blame the poor for our fiscal condition. However, if you really look at the numbers, it is clear that the real problem is our economy. The effects of the "great recession", no real job growth, and declining wages, are the real problem.

Blaming the poor and immigrants is treating symptoms, not the cause.

Attempting to make the problem racial, and attempting to somehow tie it to the riots in Baltimore is disgusting. The new "conservative" politics.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It I'd funny but the out of wedlock birthrate just gets ignored in all of this. Prior to the 1960's racism was worse poverty was worse but we didn't have riots. Until people stop having children outside the institution of marriage then conditions will not get anything but worse. This broken windows policing is a relatively new phenomenon. Some will step up if they're not in jail but this is only s small percentage. I can't remember where I saw it but if you stop locking people up for nonviolent offenses the black incarceration rate drops maybe two or three points. That's not a lot. It is fine to do that but to think it is anywhere near s panacea is naive.

Poverty was not worse and despite having thrown $19 trillion dollars of federal and state funding at it, it is up from 10.5% in 1967 to 14.5% in 2014. Those living below the poverty line today is approaching 50 milllion citizens. I am hard pressed to believe that those who voted for the New Deal Great Society legislation would have cast those votes if they knew 50 years later and almost $20 trillion dollars spent there would be as many living in poverty as there was n the entire country at the time the bill became law. It was passed to eradicate poverty but instead has created an entitlement culture of dependency and victimization.

As Americans we should know, when we subsidize something we get more of it. When the federal govt started subsidizing illegitimacy with welfare benefits based on the number of children, did they really think out of wedlock birth rate would go done? That single entitlement has done more to destroy the black family unit than anything else. Incidentally the illegitimacy rate was about 18% for nonhispanic blacks in 1967 and is at 72% now resulting in very few male role models for young black men who are unemployed at much higher rates than any other race. Unemployed, no role models, living with an entitled mentality. Yea, thats going to solve all the problems of the black community, dont lock up the criminals!

How about providing the source for those statistics?

American farm subsidies are egregiously expensive, harvesting $20 billion a year from taxpayers’ pockets. Most of the money goes to big, rich farmers producing staple commodities such as corn and soyabeans in states such as Iowa.

http://www.economist...lking-taxpayers

Farmers are feeding the world. What were those doing in Baltimore that was even remotely productive last Monday night?

Oh so you meant just those 'black people' subsidies. You should be more specific in your moronic rants.

Apparently, it's not a subsidy if the recipients don't really need it. ;D

American farm subsidies are egregiously expensive, harvesting $20 billion a year from taxpayers’ pockets. Most of the money goes to big, rich farmers producing staple commodities such as corn and soyabeans in states such as Iowa.

Farmers are feeding the world. What were those doing in Baltimore that was even remotely productive last Monday night?

Oh so you meant just those 'black people' subsidies. You should be more specific in your moronic rants.

very cute replies about an otherwise serious topic. I know you 2 love you some Thomas Sowell, right? After all, he's a former Marxist by his own admission. Here is his take.

<p>

Murder rates among black males were going down -- repeat, DOWN -- during the much lamented 1950s, while it went up after the much celebrated 1960s, reaching levels more than double what they had been before. Most black children were raised in two-parent families prior to the 1960s. But today the great majority of black children are raised in one-parent families.

Such trends are not unique to blacks, nor even to the United States. The welfare state has led to remarkably similar trends among the white underclass in England over the same period. Just read "Life at the Bottom," by Theodore Dalrymple, a British physician who worked in a hospital in a white slum neighborhood.

You cannot take any people, of any color, and exempt them from the requirements of civilization -- including work, behavioral standards, personal responsibility and all the other basic things that the clever intelligentsia disdain -- without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large.

Non-judgmental subsidies of counterproductive lifestyles are treating people as if they were livestock, to be fed and tended by others in a welfare state -- and yet expecting them to develop as human beings have developed when facing the challenges of life themselves.

One key fact that keeps getting ignored is that the poverty rate among black married couples has been in single digits every year since 1994. Behavior matters and facts matter, more than the prevailing social visions or political empires built on those visions.

View Full Article

Sowell.jpg

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institute and author of The Housing Boom and Bust.

very cute replies about an otherwise serious topic. I know you 2 love you some Thomas Sowell, right? After all, he's a former Marxist by his own admission. Here is his take.

<p>

Murder rates among black males were going down -- repeat, DOWN -- during the much lamented 1950s, while it went up after the much celebrated 1960s, reaching levels more than double what they had been before. Most black children were raised in two-parent families prior to the 1960s. But today the great majority of black children are raised in one-parent families.

Such trends are not unique to blacks, nor even to the United States. The welfare state has led to remarkably similar trends among the white underclass in England over the same period. Just read "Life at the Bottom," by Theodore Dalrymple, a British physician who worked in a hospital in a white slum neighborhood.

You cannot take any people, of any color, and exempt them from the requirements of civilization -- including work, behavioral standards, personal responsibility and all the other basic things that the clever intelligentsia disdain -- without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large.

Non-judgmental subsidies of counterproductive lifestyles are treating people as if they were livestock, to be fed and tended by others in a welfare state -- and yet expecting them to develop as human beings have developed when facing the challenges of life themselves.

One key fact that keeps getting ignored is that the poverty rate among black married couples has been in single digits every year since 1994. Behavior matters and facts matter, more than the prevailing social visions or political empires built on those visions.

View Full Article

Sowell.jpg

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institute and author of The Housing Boom and Bust.

I agree with those comments. Now about those farm subsidies? Being paid not to farm is the same as being paid not to work. Right?

I have asked for his source as well. Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do you have a source Blue?

I have asked for his source as well. Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,do you have a source Blue?

I provided them last week when you didn't see fit to further challenge them then. Look them up yourself. I have already provided them once which is sufficient. One was the usgov.com and the other was a huffpo article.

learned helplessness your most outwardly noticeable trait

https://www.census.g...ions/p60-55.pdf

http://www.nationalr...ths-roger-clegg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/16/poverty-household-income_n_5828974.html

I provided them last week when you didn't see fit to further challenge them then. Look them up yourself. I have already provided them once which is sufficient. One was the usgov.com and the other was a huffpo article.

There is nothing there to support your claim of $19 trillion (which is specifically what I asked you for). Again, do you have a source?

There is nothing there to support your claim of $19 trillion (which is specifically what I asked you for). Again, do you have a source?

Sure do but you'll have to forgive me. I actually under stated the amount. Its actually $22 TRILLION. Im sorry! ^-^

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2014/09/the-war-on-poverty-after-50-years

you do know you can look these things up to, right?

Sure do but you'll have to forgive me. I actually under stated the amount. Its actually $22 TRILLION. Im sorry! ^-^

http://www.heritage....-after-50-years

Yes, and I did. You should read my posts before responding, or not responding.

Sorry to doubt your source but, there is no reference to how they came up with $22 trillion. According to the government, going back to 1960, including federal, state, and local expenditures, the figure is $ 9.9 trillion. And again, almost two-thirds of that total is since 2007. Considering that your source gives no dates, no real versus nominal information, I have to assume the government figures are more realistic.

Baltimore received 1.8 billion in stimulus money. http://www.thefedera...ty-still-burned

That seems rather disingenuous considering a lack of stimulus money was not what triggered the protests. Such an attempt to associate the two shows an arrogance and ignorance that some people with to use to define the problem.

Baltimore received 1.8 billion in stimulus money. http://www.thefedera...ty-still-burned

That seems rather disingenuous considering a lack of stimulus money was not what triggered the protests. Such an attempt to associate the two shows an arrogance and ignorance that some people with to use to define the problem.

Really? I think it is perfectly in order because here's the deal. The vast majority of that money is going to the people administering it. Do you really believe $1.8 billion dollars has been spent on Baltimore when you have teachers there whining about still using 20 year old text books? The infrastructure has been described as looking like Iraq..where did the $1.8 billion go?

Really? I think it is perfectly in order because here's the deal. The vast majority of that money is going to the people administering it. Do you really believe $1.8 billion dollars has been spent on Baltimore when you have teachers there whining about still using 20 year old text books? The infrastructure has been described as looking like Iraq..where did the $1.8 billion go?

420 million was for education alone yet the reading proficiency for 8th graders is only 16%

http://www.huffingto..._n_5828974.html

I don't think it's asking to much to footnote the sources of your statistics if they form the core of your argument.

For example, where did the $19 Trillion figure come from?

http://www.heritage....-after-50-years

Well, see here's the problem.

You've probably heard the old saying, "there's lies, damn lies and statistics".

Seeing as that figure is from the Heritage foundation who definitely has an ax to grind - one needs to understand how they derived it. What's included? Then one has to put the resulting figure in perspective to other spending. For example, how does that rate of expenditure compare to the rest of government spending, including the military?

I'm not saying it's a misleading number, but considering the source, the potential is certainly there.

And if the original question is wisdom of that investment, we have to also consider the alternatives.

No doubt there have been grave mistakes in social policy - such as the construction of mass, high rise housing projects. But then, perhaps social investments are inherently low yielding as a whole because they encompass experiments or ideas that fail. Maybe some of that spending was a necessary learning process.

So, to simply reduce the question of social spending to "how much" is not as important as examining the way it is spent.

It's also important to note social spending dollars typically stay in our own economy, as compared to expenditures in foreign wars which is more like throwing it down a rat hole (for example).

Bottom line, I don't really know how alarmed I should be over spending this $19 Trillion over 47 years and I doubt if you do either.

http://www.huffingto..._n_5828974.html

I don't think it's asking to much to footnote the sources of your statistics if they form the core of your argument.

For example, where did the $19 Trillion figure come from?

It came from another source that I couldn't find when I googled it again but I found one that was better. Is that a problem? I have no problem being asked for links but I misunderstood and thought he was asking for links I had already provided once.

420 million was for education alone yet the reading proficiency for 8th graders is only 16%

Meaningless. How do we know that does not represent an improvement. Data must have context.

Meaningless. How do we know that does not represent an improvement. Data must have context.

HAHAHAHA this is classic soft racism of low expectations. Regardless of context, after dumping $1.8 BIL its not unrealistic to expect significantly better proficiency than 16% of 14 year olds being literate

HAHAHAHA this is classic soft racism of low expectations. Regardless of context, after dumping $1.8 BIL its not unrealistic to expect significantly better proficiency than 16% of 14 year olds being literate

It has absolutely nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with understanding data.

When it come to data, "Regardless of context" = stupid, lazy analysis with faulty conclusions

It has absolutely nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with understanding data.

When it come to data, "Regardless of context" = stupid, lazy analysis with faulty conclusions

I understand that $1.8 Billion dollars is a shitload of money to waste if ONLY 16% of all 14 year olds end up literate. This is the perfect example of why the teachers union will never allow any improvement in education. They have too much power and control and have convinced the easily led like you that this performance is "good" in context. Its UNREAL. Look if all we're going to get out of $1.8 Billion is 16% lets give them nothing because 16% aint a helluva lot better than 0%

I understand that $1.8 Billion dollars is a shitload of money to waste if ONLY 16% of all 14 year olds end up literate. This is the perfect example of why the teachers union will never allow any improvement in education. They have too much power and control and have convinced the easily led like you that this performance is "good" in context. Its UNREAL. Look if all we're going to get out of $1.8 Billion is 16% lets give them nothing because 16% aint a helluva lot better than 0%

As I said, When it come to data, "Regardless of context" = stupid, lazy analysis with faulty conclusions

As I said, When it come to data, "Regardless of context" = stupid, lazy analysis with faulty conclusions

context this...I'd rather save that $1.8 billion than throw it down a rat hole to gain literacy for 16 out of every 100 14 year olds.

Spending that kind of money for those kind of results all across government is what got us 18 trillion dollars in debt. That money was for saving union jobs so that dues would be collected and donated to the democrats.

Archived