2016 4* WR Kyle Davis (AU commit 11/25/15)

RunInRed

Gus has had as many pass-happy offenses as he has run-happy ones. He tried to throw the ball more with both Cam and Nick until he realized that running the ball more out of the inverted veer and read option, respectively, was going to be more successful with the personnel he had on hand. He wanted to throw the ball more this season, but he can't protect a RS FR with one good leg and the other guy bumped his head coming out of the tunnel at the Georgia Dome (hey, it makes as much sense as any other theory).

Seriously. Pay attention to what is going on on the football field. It will answer almost all your questions.

Not to mention- and you might want to be sitting down, because this might blow some of your minds- but these players are human beings with lives beyond football. Some of them want their school of choice to be strong in a particular curriculum. Some of them want to be in a particular geographic area. Some of them want to follow their girlfriend or their cousin to school. Some of them want to play in a town that they enjoy being in. Some of them even want to- gasp- enjoy being around their teammates and coaches.

Why would a receiver want to come to Auburn? Because it's Auburn, maybe?

No... They want to go some place that will get them to the NFL! That's why bammer has done so well in recruiting...

Do you think those players give a damn about tuscaloosa?!?!? Hell no! They sell them on getting them to the NFL. They want to go some place, that in 3 years, will get them paid!

Hah. Okay. I don't suppose I'll be changing your mind about anything, so cheers, WDE, etc...

And also this isn't a freaking video game, just because you're a dual threat qb doesn't mean you can't pass the damn ball

Indeed. That would be a single threat.

Nailed it.

No it's cool... You're not gonna change my mind.

But to think players (elite players) choose a college because they "love the school", is very naive...

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus has had as many pass-happy offenses as he has run-happy ones. He tried to throw the ball more with both Cam and Nick until he realized that running the ball more out of the inverted veer and read option, respectively, was going to be more successful with the personnel he had on hand. He wanted to throw the ball more this season, but he can't protect a RS FR with one good leg and the other guy bumped his head coming out of the tunnel at the Georgia Dome (hey, it makes as much sense as any other theory).

Seriously. Pay attention to what is going on on the football field. It will answer almost all your questions.

Not to mention- and you might want to be sitting down, because this might blow some of your minds- but these players are human beings with lives beyond football. Some of them want their school of choice to be strong in a particular curriculum. Some of them want to be in a particular geographic area. Some of them want to follow their girlfriend or their cousin to school. Some of them want to play in a town that they enjoy being in. Some of them even want to- gasp- enjoy being around their teammates and coaches.

No... They want to go some place that will get them to the NFL! That's why bammer has done so well in recruiting...

Do you think those players give a damn about tuscaloosa?!?!? Hell no! They sell them on getting them to the NFL. They want to go some place, that in 3 years, will get them paid!

Hah. Okay. I don't suppose I'll be changing your mind about anything, so cheers, WDE, etc...

And also this isn't a freaking video game, just because you're a dual threat qb doesn't mean you can't pass the damn ball

Nailed it.

There are a lot of players like Pat White that were considered duel threat and I really think they are more like 1 and a half threat. They can run the ball effectively allowing wide passing lanes but if against great coverage they don't have the ability to complete a pass.

Altima, you focused on the wrong GT wide receiver. Demaryius Thomas played for Paul Johnson.

The answer to your question is simple. If you assume this is a run first and second offense, then it's a downfield passing offense. Check the numbers for those teams. There is almost always (for the good ones) a WR averaging big time yards per catch with 35-45 catches. That is plenty to put you in the NFL. If you're big time, you believe that type of offense will afford you less attention from Safeties, and your job is easy. Catch touchdowns. Heck, as you put it, Sammie isn't an NFL receiver but that offense helped him get drafted in the third round.

That's why a stud would want to play in a Nick Marshall type offense. To be Demaryius Thomas.

By the way Sammie just happens to play behind arguably the best wr in the game.....

Yep Steelers are loaded with receivers with Antonio leading the league.

Played QB in high school, btw. Hey-O!

By the way Sammie just happens to play behind arguably the best wr in the game.....

Yep Steelers are loaded with receivers with Antonio leading the league.

Played QB in high school, btw. Hey-O!

Yeah I know interesting isn't it. Also at a whooping 5"10" 180 lbs

Sammie's been havin trouble catchin the ball...

Hes got 1 catch for 11 yards and been targeted 2 times. Yeah hes dropping crazy amounts of balls.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2574549/sammie-coates

There's a reason he's only been targeted twice. And it's not because he plays behind a great receiver.

I saw Coates drop a critical pass in a Steelers game either late in the 4th or in OT earlier this season. So 1 catch and 1 drop. Sounds like a crappy ratio but I'd be ecstatic if he was on our roster still. Even though I'm pretttty sure he's glad he left when he did lol

Nailed it.

There are a lot of players like Pat White that were considered dual threat and I really think they are more like 1 and a half threat. They can run the ball effectively allowing wide passing lanes but if against great coverage they don't have the ability to complete a pass.

So I think the term Dual Threat is used too loosely. Only a few people I would consider pure DT quarterbacks and two of them are Cam and Manziel. Why? Because they could win with both their arms and their legs, forcing defensive coordinators to pick their poison. But the other "dual threat" QB's do not cause the same conundrums for the defensive coordinators. For them, it is always "let's make him beat us by his arm" because that option was always best option to stopping the offense.

I guess it depends on how you define dual threat but for me, I think the term is way overused.

Just a heads up for my AUFamly

duel: (1) a combat between two persons; (2) a conflict between antagonistic persons, ideas, or forces.

dual: (1) denoting reference to two; (2) consisting of two parts or elements; having a double character or nature.

duel: (1) a combat between two persons; (2) a conflict between antagonistic persons, ideas, or forces.

dual: (1) denoting reference to two; (2) consisting of two parts or elements; having a double character or nature.

You got me. Oops

Way to stay strong. It's like being inside the Alamo.

Because you saw a drop? What the Steelers said was just the opposite. I used to see Julio drop the ball alot while he was at bammer....But either way prospects now aren't saying Sammie really isn't a NFL wr though....

If I remember correctly Julio dropped a lot his rookie year as well.

Yep. All receivers drop balls, except maybe Jerry Rice. Auburn fans just always think Auburn receivers are the worst because it hurts Auburn when it happens.

(Totally true this year though, lol.)

Good luck with that, lol.

Because you saw a drop? What the Steelers said was just the opposite. I used to see Julio drop the ball alot while he was at bammer....But either way prospects now aren't saying Sammie really isn't a NFL wr though....

Just because he played at Auburn, doesn't mean we have to sugar-coat everything. The only thing kept Sammie from being an 'elite' receiver were his hands. He dropped just as many passes as he caught while at AU. He dropped balls at the combine, he dropped passes at individual work-outs, and now he's dropping passes with the Steelers. That's why his stock plummeted before the draft. That's why he's a 3rd round pick fighting for a roster spot every week. That's why he's been targeted only twice in 10 games.

I'm not being a hater, but as far as a recruiting tool, if all we have to hang our hats on is Sammie Coats...?!?!?

Archived