CTT & LSWho- good article

Aubie7

"What is it that makes it appear LSU is or was about to be any kind of dynasty?

Sure, Saban won a national championship last season, a magnificent accomplishment. But the fact is that season wasn’t as good as Auburn’s season this year. LSU lost 19-7 to a mediocre Florida, team at home. It was the Bayou Bengals’ good fortune that nobody went through the season unbeaten. It was Auburn’s bad fortune that the top two teams in the preseason poll did it this season.

Before 2003, Saban had a five-loss season and a four-loss season in his first three at LSU. In 2002, he lost 31-7 to Auburn and 31-0 to Alabama on consecutive weeks. His first LSU team, in 2000, lost to UAB. LSU won the SEC championship in 2002 with a 5-3 conference record by upsetting Tennessee in the championship game. Had it not been for Auburn’s collapse down the stretch, LSU wouldn’t have been in the picture at all. That LSU team was crushed at home by Florida and even lost at home to Ole Miss. In five seasons at Michigan State, Saban lost fewer than five games in a season just once."

I like that little tid bit.

"LSU has plenty of advantages, no doubt. It has its pick in a state with plenty of players and has a rabid and loyal fan base. But that same school had eight losing seasons in 11 years before Saban arrived. For all the talk about how fearsome Tiger Stadium is, LSU’s home record is in the bottom half of the SEC. "

and that one too :lol:

Before you guys get all excited and start throwing toilet paper, a brief list of reasons why LSU's football program is better than Auburn's.

1) Better talent - currently on the roster, and prospecitvely available.

2) Bigger, better fanbase - make all the fantastically unclever corndog jokes you want, but Auburn's fanbase and its enthusiasm are solidly average for the SEC. You also have a tendency to want your coach fired about every other year.

3) Better facilities - bigger stadium, upgraded to produce a hell of a lot more revenue; football operations center under construction; academic support center; etc.

4) Better administrative support - we try to have one coach at a time and generally don't offer the job unless its actually vacant.

5) Not located in a cow pasture - say what you want about the lovely Auburn community, but it doesn't help your football program to be out in the stix.

I don't think Tuberville would actually leave Auburn for LSU (thank the Good Lord), but face it people - every coach in his right mind would prefer the LSU job over Auburn.

Before you guys get all excited and start throwing toilet paper, a brief list of reasons why LSU's football program is better than Auburn's.

1) Better talent - currently on the roster, and prospecitvely available.

2) Bigger, better fanbase - make all the fantastically unclever corndog jokes you want, but Auburn's fanbase and its enthusiasm are solidly average for the SEC. You also have a tendency to want your coach fired about every other year.

3) Better facilities - bigger stadium, upgraded to produce a hell of a lot more revenue; football operations center under construction; academic support center; etc.

4) Better administrative support - we try to have one coach at a time and generally don't offer the job unless its actually vacant.

5) Not located in a cow pasture - say what you want about the lovely Auburn community, but it doesn't help your football program to be out in the stix.

I don't think Tuberville would actually leave Auburn for LSU (thank the Good Lord), but face it people - every coach in his right mind would prefer the LSU job over Auburn.

134706[/snapback]

See, I wasn't quite sure you were joking till that last one...but I'm relieved to know that you are. Nobody, not even a corn dog, could be that naive.... :big:

:au::big:

Gorilla - Your full of something....I don't know what but obviously full of IT!! I live in this state that so many LSU fans call home and it SUCKS!! Half of the high school graduates in the state go to college on a state scholly....sounds good until you throw in the fact that 80% of those students fail out of the program b/c they can't keep a 2.5 GPA!

1) You talk of better talent -- How do you explain us whipping your A$$ this season and from what I recall 6 or 7 out of the last 9 or 10 years!

2) You claim a better fanbase --- These are the same fans that leave the games early in the 3rd quarter at home games when teams are beating you.....and the same fans that BOO at the drop of a hat at anything they don't like!! The bigger part though is correct......YOUR AVERAGE FAN BASE WEIGHS ABOUT 350lbs!

3) Your just weigh off basis about the better facilities.....LSU's stadium may hold more people but it smells like a 2 dollar HO!

4)I'll give you #4 only b/c I like Skip B. and the program he runs

5)Your right about the cow pasture but, LSU has the "quarters" right outside the gates off highland........at least I don't have to worry about getting mugged or shot in Auburn.....LSU couldn't even stop that serial killer/rapist !

Thank the Lord that Tuberville didn't go......who would've wanted the AP Coach of the Year anyways.......oh thats right your University did!!

Stick that in your pet crawfishes butt and smoke it!!

Collijo - first of all, whose talking about highschool students, academic scholarships, and average GPAs? I'm sure that would be an interesting discussion, but I was under the impression this was a football board.

Secondly, 10-9 is not an ass whipping. Especially the way it went down. Auburn deserved the win, but don't puff your chest out junior. As far as the last 10 years are concerned, I'm not doing the research, but its been a pretty even series so I don't know what you're so proud of. More importantly, I wasn't talking about history - I was talking about the current state of each program.

The rest of that drivel was childish stuff about overweight fans and the stadium smelling. It doesn't deserve a response except to say that I've been to Auburn. and of course LSU. and I've seen plenty of fat asses, and plenty of hot women at both. More of the latter at LSU, by the way.

As far as Baton Rouge is concerned, as scary as it may seem if you're from Auburn or Opelika, its an average size, nice city to live in. I live here too, and its not a place where you're likely to get mugged or shot.

Don't make jokes about a serial killer. At least 7 women, and probably more, were killed by Derrick Todd Lee, and its not funny. Not to mention, the actions of a psycopath tell you nothing about the general population, so clue in.

Gorilla,

LSWho is the school who hire a coach from Vandy for Pete's sake! ;)

As for talent, only someone who trusts recruiting sites could try to make a statement about talent. But if you insist, I will gladly boast of a win over your more talented but under performing/ poorly coached team. :lol:

Go luv on your school on your own website :lsu::homer: !

You will not find any support for your :corndog: views here.

You will not find any support for your  :corndog: views here.

134718[/snapback]

I haven't found any intelligent opposition to them yet either.

To be clear, I'm not saying Auburn has no talent. Particularly not this year with several very talented seniors on your team. I'm just saying LSU has more, both currently on the team for the next few seasons, and available to it for recruiting.

Gorilla -

Did you watch the same game this past September?? The score was 10-9 but LSU didn't come close to scoring after their 10 points posted early in the game, while AU kept getting inside the 20 and bubbling opportunities down the drain....Score should have been 17 or 20-9 but, we want talk about would've or could've - That's where you'll start to whine! (throw a tissue your way)

Actually as far as histroy goes that does determine the better program and in my mind if we consistently beat you guys then AU is the better program! Someone else said it best on this forum when they said since when did LSU become MR. SEC team to beat!! Both of our clubs have either tied or won the SEC West for the last 4-6years.

By the way, I'm from Birmingham and Baton Rouge can't hold a candle to B'ham so I'm not scared just glad to be leaving this pile of crap town!! The food is great here but, the fans just won't let anything rest...its always LSU is better than everybody at every sport then a bunch of whining when they lose ( which does happen )

As far as the TD Lee thing, I meant no disrespect for anyone other than to point out that the BTR police should have had him behind bars weeks after the first two killings! Some safe city we live in.......when all you see on the nightly news is rape/killings/and burgarly....yeah I want to let my kids grow up here!

Oh and another thing, this state is way over weight and your state government proved it by placing a TV ad on WBRZ and many other channels urging the state residents to get out and do something besides eat!!

Gorilla, I think it's funny that you think that you have a better fan base. Considering everytime your time your quarterback makes a bad decision (see OSU and Marcus Randall) the whole stadium is full of a chorus of boos. Also, LSU fans are known to cheer for the other team when their mighty tigers are getting their arses handed to them.

It's also funny that you say that Auburn fires their coach every two years, considering that LSU ran off 3 coaches in ten years (Archer, Hallman, and Dinardo). The way I see it, you have no leg to stand on.

If your talent is so superior to ours, how come we have beaten you two out of the last three years?

Gorilla, I think it's funny that you think that you have a better fan base.  Considering everytime your time your quarterback makes a bad decision (see OSU and Marcus Randall)  the whole stadium is full of a chorus of boos.  Also,  LSU fans are known to cheer for the other team when their mighty tigers are getting their arses handed to them.

It's also funny that you say that Auburn fires their coach every two years, considering that LSU ran off 3 coaches in ten years (Archer, Hallman, and Dinardo).  The way I see it, you have no leg to stand on.

If your  talent is so superior to ours, how come we have beaten you two out of the last three years?

134730[/snapback]

First of all, were you at the Oregon State game? Didn't think so. I was, and I heard a very small number of jackass "fans" booing - one time. I'm not saying its okay, b/c I don't think fans should ever boo players, but don't recite information you heard 4th or 5th hand from biased sources (other LSU-hating Auburn fans) and expect it have any weight. I was there, and the booing that occurred was miniscule. To read what some Auburn fans have said, you'd think it was a riot.

Secondly, "LSU fans are known to cheer for the other team" ????? Shut up while you still have a shred of credibility. I've never even heard a deluded Auburn fan use this one before. All I can tell you is that in every game I've ever been to for the last 25 years or so, that's NEVER happened. Don't believe everything you're told man. You probably also think that all LSu fans vandalize the property of opposing fans, call visting women whores at every opportunity, and like to light things on fire. Get a grip, and try to be at least a tiny bit objective.

As far as the coaching thing goes, we "ran off" those three coaches after they ran our program into the ground. LSU football under those guys is essentially the worst stretch in its entire history. That's why every Auburn fan likes to throw out meaningless statistics based on about 10 years (essentially the 1990's) when LSU football was in bad shape. "LSU's record at home (as long as we use the worst period we can find as a frame of reference) is blah, blah, blah...." I don't hear Auburn fans talking about LSU statistics recently - except of course when they proudly and ridiculously say that Tuberville's 3-2 record against Saban means he "owns" him. Getting back to my original point, I was commenting on the fact that the coach you all thinks is the best thing ever is the very same guy who's spent about half his Auburn career on the proverbial hotseat. That's not what I heard from some other biased LSU fan - its a fact. Just like everything else in the original post.

Gorilla -

Just to let you know I was at the OSU game and alot of fans were booing Randall....not just a few. Hell even Jordi Hall and the color guy for LSU pointed it out saying people were unhappy.

This is the deal, you come to our site spouting all this crap about your program being in a better state than ours. ITs simply not true, the AU and LSU programs are in good shape but neither one is probably on better footing than the other ....other than we are retaining our coach and yours is leaving. Based on that fact, AU's program is in a more sound state......Athletes are about the same, facilities AU probably is alittle more up to date, but by and by I have seen no real difference in the programs....and I travel to both stadiums.

You say that you can't count the last 10 years.....about just under Tubs. Tubs is 4-2 against LSU, 4-2 against Bama, 3-0 against Tenn, I think either 3-3 or 4-2 against GA......to me he's done a great job against the powers of the SEC that he plays!

He should be in the National Championship this year and He will stay at AU for quite a number of years to come.......All the BOT that wanted him gone have no power anymore with Williams and Housel gone.....As our trailer says - AUBURN WILL RISE IN 2004.......watch out cause we coming here to BTR next year!!!

I live in this state that so many LSU fans call home and it SUCKS!!  Half of the high school graduates in the state go to college on a state scholly....sounds good until you throw in the fact that 80% of those students fail out of the program b/c they can't keep a 2.5 GPA!

The last time I checked there was not a wall around LA. So why not do the fine citizens of LA a favor and move!

Actually SEC Fan if you would get your head out of your A$$ and look I already made the comment that I was moving as of Jan 4th.....to better state in Ga and a better job with a higher paid engineering company. And by the way I'm not the only one at my previous employer to be looking to get the Hell out of BTR ( & I worked for the largest employer in BTR...you guess?)

See you Corndogs in October next year when your superior talented and coached team once again gets its butt handed to them!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE & GO Tigers!!!

Gorilla,

You have demonstrated your ignorance about talent levels. If lsu has any talent advantage it is negligible and I don't really think there is any. You guys may have had a few more stars on certain athletes ranking from year to year, but tubs has proven that he knows the kind of players he wants and goes after them. He generally gets most of what he wants. Character is weighed more heavily than at most schools and WE REALLY like it that way.

AFA your knock on Auburn as being the stix that just shows what a true doofus you are. We get many quality athletes who love the atmosphere here and don't want anything to do with a town like baton rouge. I'll take a kid with solid character and morals who loves small town america over one who wants to play in the stinkhole you guys call a stadium in your dirty louisiana city.

If someone gets the urge to go slumming in a big city atl is 1 hr. away and montgomery is 30 minutes or so.

Oh and by the way we have the talent to compile a perfect regular season and seccg. Something wonder boy saban was incapable of with all his "superior talent". :lol: .

If tubs managed to pull off an undefeated regular season w/ lesser talent, well obviously we would have a much better coaching staff.

Last time I checked ya'll were in the 20's in recruiting and we were #11 and rising fast this year.

Do I need to keep proving just how ignorant you are about talent levels at lsu and :au: ? Do you know how many blowhard coona$$ corndogs we had here early this year sqwaking about how it would be impossible for us to beat you due to the vastly superior talent at lsu? We lost count and they all scattered like roaches when we kicked your a$$e$.

Are you starting to see what a fool you sound like on this thread? Based on what you've shown us so far, probably not! :lol::corndog:

Actually SEC Fan if you would get your head out of your A$$ and look I already made the comment that I was moving as of Jan 4th.....to better state in Ga and a better job with a higher paid engineering company.  And by the way I'm not the only one at my previous employer to be looking to get the Hell out of BTR ( &  I worked for the largest employer in BTR...you guess?)

See you Corndogs in October next year when your superior talented and coached team once again gets its butt handed to them!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE & GO Tigers!!!

134747[/snapback]

No I didn't see that you were moving. You honestly think I'd want to read your asinine statements regarding LA from start to finish?

That company wouldn't happen to be the Shaw Group? A company that's in the fortune 500. If I may ask where are you from originally and where did you get your Engineering degree?

Not to mention they should have lost to Kentucky in 2002, but hey, a win is a win.

LSU does tend to play a better non-conference schedule than us, but I would not say they are a better program than us.

Just because you win 1 National Championship doesn't mean you are the be all end all.

If we can go to the SEC championship game and win next season, then we can say that we are on to something.

Far as a fanbase, if we expanded our stadium to 100,000, I'm sure when LSU, Georgia, Tenn, or the school with with an elephant comes to town, there would be standing room only.

When LSU played Oregon State, the crowd was pretty much deflated until the final 3 minutes. I heard boos toward the qbs, but after the missed pat the crowd was back to loving on their team.

Wow, sounds like I really hit a nerve with the talent thing. Do you guys have a talent complex? I'm sorry, I didn't realize.

I'll say it again - I'm not saying Auburn has no talent. I'm also not saying that talent is the only factor involved in this discussion, so stop putting words in my mouth, or pay more attention. I think Auburn has a lot of talent - I just think LSU has more.

And tiger88, you really shouldn't dismiss the significance of recruiting rankings in one post, and then tout your #11 ranking in the next one. Stick with one story. For the record, I never said a thing about stars or recruiting rankings.

As far as the size/location of Auburn is concerned, we just disagree. I don't think its a plus for the football program. I think it hurts more than it helps.

On a realted note, I understand that Auburn is a university in a small town, and that you feel a sense of community as a result. That's great, I mean it sincerely. But please come off the moral high horse about it. It doesn't mean your players have more character, or that your program is run solely by eagle scouts. I hate to break it to you, but until recently, your HC had a reputation as a sneaky, low character guy. I'll be the first to admit that I was impressed with Auburn's team unity this year, and that Tuberville hasn't showed his ass in some time. But stop acting like everyone at Auburn is has better character or values than "city folk." This whole Baton Rouge is Babylon, but the country town of Auburn is pure and chaste thing gets really tired. More importantly, its just not true.

Look, I'm sorry if "blowhard coonasses" have come around here, but I am neither a blowhard or a coonass, so please don't lump my comments together with those of idiots. I realize that I came on your board - but in fairness, my post was in response to an article criticizing LSU.

In an effort to demonstrate that I'm a reasonable person, let me say something we can agree on - I hope you guys absolutely stomp Virginia Tech. Beamer crawfished out of his game in Baton Rouge last year, so the Hokies aren't exactly popluar in LSU circles. Good luck in the Sugar Bowl.

All I was aying is that CTT makes a definite point to go after kids with solid moral backgrounds and good character. That is why for the last two years we have had more than a few sure fire 1st or 2nd round draft picks stay for their senior years. Bowden recruited quite a few criminals who smeared egg on the AU repeatedly over a several year period. Words can't express what a breath of fresh air tubs players have been (Not knocking all of bowdens guys, there were some great ones).

Tubs will go after a 3 star guy with solid personal credentials faster than a 5 star with question marks. It has paid off greatly for us in many ways, including having all but one guy qualify out of 25 or so recruits. That is why I brought up the star thing because that is really what many refer to when ranking talent/ recruiting. You were bragging about having more talent which means you think you have recruited better which means you had more stars after the names and that is all. If you think there is very much difference if any btwn the #1 and #10 recruiting classes you are kidding yourself. There is absolutely no way in hades that I or any AU fan I know would switch talent pools with lsu. You have several players that we backed off of for various reasons one of which is jemarcus russell.

AFA the small town thing you are dead wrong in many ways although I'm sure some blow us off because of it. willie williams from miami didn't like it last year and it was good riddance anyways. His criminal record surfaced later and although I have since learned some of his circumstances, I'm still glad we didn't get him because we woulda probably dropped him anyway. One thing about bigger cities is there is usually alot more trouble to be found than in a cozy town like AU.

Tubs is building something very special at AU and the core of it is the type of player he recruits. Leon Hart was a top 3 in the country lineman last year and he committed to AU after making a secret visit to the campus and falling in love w/ Auburn and AU. Trey Blackmon is the #1 lb in the country and he committed before even making an official visit because he liked the cohesiveness btwn players and coaching staff. I could go on. If someone doesn't want to come to AU because of Auburn the city I say don't let the barn door hit them in the a$$ on the way out :lol: .

My point was that I for one have to stifle a laugh when someone from lsu comes here bragging about their "superior talent". It is really a relative truth and can't be proven in any way when two teams are so close in talent as the two are.

I'm sorry but I'm still floored about the EIGHT LOSING SEASONS OUT OF ELEVEN prior to Saban. That's almost VANDERBILT-ish! Plus, Saban didn't even have a winning record against Auburn.

And you want to come over here and tell us you have a better program, with better facilities, better current talent, better future talent (:huh:), and better location?

You're full of it...that or just straight up retarded. :hmm:

tiger88, I am in total agreement with you about the importance of character in recruiting. Virtually all championship teams seem to have good team chemistry and unity, and that almost always requires leadership and good character among the players. Auburn clearly had that this season, and as I said in my last post, I haven't observed anything from Auburn that indicates a lack of character in some time.

AuNuma1 do you have a point, or do you just find it hard to play with others? Why don't you go back and quote some losing seasons from the 19th century? They are equally relevant. In the meantime, maybe you could borrow an intelligent response from a friend.

"Our fans don't try to attack opposing coaches and their families." Good because LSU fans do. We always attack coaches, physically if possible, and if the wife and kids are around, we see it as a real special opportunity. Its part of who we are. We're all drunken, nasty, people who like to attack coaches.

I can't believe someone is still spouting this crap. Get over it. The incident that happened with Tuberville (SEVERAL years ago) was inexcusable, and the people involved should be ashamed of themselves. There's no question about that, and all reasonable people agree (LSU fans, Auburn fans, or anybody). But if you think that you can comment on "LSU fans" because of that, you're just too dumb for words.

I went to Auburn for the LSU game three years ago. On the way out of town I was "attacked" in a McDonald's by an ignorant Auburn fan while just standing there trying to order. The guy started cussing me and telling me to get the hell back to Baton Rouge just because I had a purple t-shirt on - I didn't even look at him. Moral of the story is this - it doesn't mean that "Auburn fans" are belligerent a**holes. It means that this guy was. So why do people like Auburn85 think the actions of a few idiot LSU fans mean that "LSU fans try to attack opposing coaches and their families"? You can't possibly be that stupid. I would be doing the same thing if I came on here and said, "Auburn fans are redneck country trailer trash." Some are, and MANY MORE AREN'T. So please, if you like to make fanbase generalizations, wake up and realize you look like a moron. That kind of kneejerk, generalized criticism is a refuge for people who have nothing real to say. In other words, its empty smack.

Archived