2017 4* LB Markail Benton (Bama 6/10/16)

WarEagleAU

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4-5 years ago recruiting was said to be about relationships and less about W & L's. Was that never the case or has recruiting changed.

That changes to suit the situation. At least that's how it works on this message board. Have a great season and lose a recruit? "Coaches weren't here long enough to develop a relationship." Have a losing season and lose a recruit? "Bad season last year cost us a bunch of guys."

I've seen too many guys go to a team that had a down season to think a 7-6 season does any significant damage to recruiting.

4-5 years ago recruiting was said to be about relationships and less about W & L's. Was that never the case or has recruiting changed.

It's not the relationships versus Ws & Ls like you are thinking. It's relationships versus the staff's believed job security if we don't win big this season. Whether it's true or not almost every team recruiting against AU is selling the staff won't be here after 2016 if we don't dramatically improve. Many recruits are listening to that pitch and have taken a wait & see approach w/ the AU future.

Relationships are the reason kids like Benton, Ignot, Webb, Britt, TD, and the list goes on and on still have AU eith #1 or #2. Kirby Smart is negative recruiting the hell out of AU right now. So is uat. Tell said recruit that Gus and the staff won't be here next year. Has most of these recruits at a holding pattern right now.

Relationships are the reason kids like Benton, Ignot, Webb, Britt, TD, and the list goes on and on still have AU eith #1 or #2. Kirby Smart is negative recruiting the hell out of AU right now. So is uat. Tell said recruit that Gus and the staff won't be here next year. Has most of these recruits at a holding pattern right now.

Smart can go and do you know what. Having Richt as the coach gave me a little respect for UGA, but now with Smart at the helm, my hatred for them has grown.

Smart can go and do you know what. Having Richt as the coach gave me a little respect for UGA, but now with Smart at the helm, my hatred for them has grown.

Yep. Smart is a scumbag. Dirty as they come. How a recruit relates to him I have no clue. Going to be interesting to watch uga the next couple of years. I think Kirby will tank.

Yep. Smart is a scumbag. Dirty as they come. How a recruit relates to him I have no clue. Going to be interesting to watch uga the next couple of years. I think Kirby will tank.

I wouldn't be surprised if Georgia tanks this year. Their QB situation might be worse than ours. Granted they have a stud true freshman as a QB, but I wouldn't be surprised (assuming he starts which he probably won't) if he struggles his first year.

Recruiting is crazy... But a lot of kids don't take well to coaches talking bad about other schools they like, but some believe the hell out of it. Bet he talking bout how big of a loser Boom was at UF also... lol I also think Smart will tank, worse than boom.

• 1 month later...

With all the good news on LB front recently with Moultry and Wooten committing and looking good for Britt, I was wondering if we have any recent news on this kid? Does the recent commits help us or hurt us with him?

With all the good news on LB front recently with Moultry and Wooten committing and looking good for Britt, I was wondering if we have any recent news on this kid? Does the recent commits help us or hurt us with him?

I don't think competition hurts. Remember, 4* and up kids have usually been starters throughout their lives. They expect to play no matter who else is on the team.

It won't hurt. AU has been up front w/ recruits they plan to take 4-6 LBs. Nothing new w/ Benton. He still plans to commit at an All Star game in January.

I will say this however, given his mediocre Jr year he MAY not be a slam dunk take over other LBs on our board & if he waits til January he could be SOL w/ AU. Remember this is a very deep LB class in Alabama & Georgia.

It won't hurt. AU has been up front w/ recruits they plan to take 4-6 LBs. Nothing new w/ Benton. He still plans to commit at an All Star game in January.

I will say this however, given his mediocre Jr year he MAY not be a slam dunk take over other LBs on our board & if he waits til January he could be SOL w/ AU. Remember this is a very deep LB class in Alabama & Georgia.

Arguably the best ever.....

• 3 weeks later...

Cj-agXVWYAAShC9.jpg

Just tweeted his top 3.

He is pooping on the turds and after a careful analyses (Sarcasm) our logo is 1 millimeter higher then FSU's so we must be his first choice. LOL

Archived