2017 4* LB Markail Benton (Bama 6/10/16)

WarEagleAU

It always seems to work this way:  

If a kid has a rep for being lazy and a bad attitude, when he goes to bama all of a sudden he is a model citizen with a commendable work ethic, and 3 years later he goes in the first round of the NFL draft. When that kid chooses AU, he never sees the field, is divisive off the field, and about 2 years later either gets kicked off the team or transfers. 

I used to think it was luck. But now I believe there's something about "the process" that motivates these kids more effectively than most other places. 

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, tigerfangs said:

It doesn't matter what most of us think anyway... My opinion will be stated while yelling at the players through the tv. Who ever we sign, we sign. 

Wait...other people other at the tv too?? Man, I gotta tell my wife. :)

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

It always seems to work this way:  

If a kid has a rep for being lazy and a bad attitude, when he goes to bama all of a sudden he is a model citizen with a commendable work ethic, and 3 years later he goes in the first round of the NFL draft. When that kid chooses AU, he never sees the field, is divisive off the field, and about 2 years later either gets kicked off the team or transfers. 

I used to think it was luck. But now I believe there's something about "the process" that motivates these kids more effectively than most other places. 

The "saban would be a terrible coach if he didn't have his players bought for him" line of thinking is so dumb and lazy. Many college and professional teams have been absolutely sick with superstar talent and have been unable to win a single championship, much less sustain the kind of success that saban has at bama. It's a remarkable skill unto itself to manage all those egos. No, he's not an Xs and Os mastermind on Saturdays, and no, he wouldn't average 11 wins a season for almost a decade without the level of talent that he's got. But we're talking about the difference between historic, unbelievable-if-it-wasn't-happening success and merely being really, really good all the time. It takes something special to have a team that focused and prepared week after week, year after year. I truly don't envy the bama experience under saban, but dude gets the job done like none other. 

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The "saban would be a terrible coach if he didn't have his players bought for him" line of thinking is so dumb and lazy. Many college and professional teams have been absolutely sick with superstar talent and have been unable to win a single championship, much less sustain the kind of success that saban has at bama. It's a remarkable skill unto itself to manage all those egos. No, he's not an Xs and Os mastermind on Saturdays, and no, he wouldn't average 11 wins a season for almost a decade without the level of talent that he's got. But we're talking about the difference between historic, unbelievable-if-it-wasn't-happening success and merely being really, really good all the time. It takes something special to have a team that focused and prepared week after week, year after year. I truly don't envy the bama experience under saban, but dude gets the job done like none other. 

Hate to say it because I dislike saban so much but I agree with you.

I have not seen a school recruit like they have ever...don't think they have finished less than number 3 in the past few years. I can't think of a team (based on their level of competition) collegiate or professional that is loaded with talent like them. Maybe the Golden St Warriors but Saban's teams are ridiculously talented...particularly on defense. He gets his due but I thinks it's a combination of his ego and Bama win at all cost approach that makes them perfect for one another...

I think he will stay with bama. If however we mange to get him to change and come to Auburn with the three LB's we have if he doesn't work out we won't be hurting but if he gets his head together and plays up to his potential we get a really good pickup. I know some people are upset about some of his comments I didn't like them either. But with room we have left and a chance for a big upside I would be happy to get him.

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Where is the notion that he won't work out coming from? 

There are people talking about his work ethic and his Junior year he did not show out that well. His measurables however are great. Could be he just needs the right coach to become very good. That is why I say with the 3 really good LB's in this class if he does want to come he could be a great pickup. At this time we have room to take a chance. I think the big question is not if we would take him but if he would flip.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's a remarkable skill unto itself to manage all those egos.

This, to me is fascinating... the man has the personality of a wet sock, and is known for holding a rulership position among the great jerks of all time... yet he some how manages to wrangle these kids who are otherwise nothing but trouble... I know part of it is that he protects them so that they don't get busted for the off-field crap, but how he builds work ethic astounds me. The only thing I can think is that he holds the NFL over their heads and basically says do it or don't play, because the next 5-star is waiting to take your place.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

This, to me is fascinating... the man has the personality of a wet sock, and is known for holding a rulership position among the great jerks of all time... yet he some how manages to wrangle these kids who are otherwise nothing but trouble... I know part of it is that he protects them so that they don't get busted for the off-field crap, but how he builds work ethic astounds me. The only thing I can think is that he holds the NFL over their heads and basically says do it or don't play, because the next 5-star is waiting to take your place.

I think his personality is highly malleable. I've heard that he can be extraordinarily charismatic when he chooses to be. 

Also, I think a lot of it has to do with the layer between him and the players. If the assistants buy in- and why wouldn't they?- then they're the ones influencing the players most on a daily basis. 

I remember that video that went around of their S&T coach talking to the players during warmups before the Georgia game- 2008 I think?- when Georgia did the blackout for the 2nd time. He said, "You know why they're wearing black? Because they're going to a mother ****in' funeral." And he was right. That kind of stuff will make kids run through walls. Now, that's an anecdote and not necessarily representative of the culture over there, but it is an example of the the assistants doing the heavy lifting in the motivation department. 

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

If you ever get a chance, watch the program/documentary called "An NFL Life"  called the 95 Cleveland Browns.  Belichick was the head coach and it was his 5th year there and Saban was his defensive coordinator.  From all the "slappies" on his staff, I believe 2 or 3 became NFL head coaches,  2 or 3 became NFL GM's, and 2 became college football head coaches.  It gives you a little bit of insight into how much sheer work and time people have to be willing to put in to be successful.  Saban learned from one of the best and definitely paid his dues.  I'm sure he demands a lot of his staff and of his players.  Once he gets the buy in, it becomes a self-sustaining success machine that feeds on itself and gets stronger each year.

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

His measurables however are great.

Oh boy.  How many times have I heard this phrase.............................I am to the point that I have a really hard time discounting the "measureables" argument given all the busts Auburn has had just over the last 6-8 years.

BTW, I'm not calling you out, personally.  Just speaking in general.

27 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

If you ever get a chance, watch the program/documentary called "An NFL Life"  called the 95 Cleveland Browns.  Belichick was the head coach and it was his 5th year there and Saban was his defensive coordinator.  From all the "slappies" on his staff, I believe 2 or 3 became NFL head coaches,  2 or 3 became NFL GM's, and 2 became college football head coaches.  It gives you a little bit of insight into how much sheer work and time people have to be willing to put in to be successful.  Saban learned from one of the best and definitely paid his dues.  I'm sure he demands a lot of his staff and of his players.  Once he gets the buy in, it becomes a self-sustaining success machine that feeds on itself and gets stronger each year.

I don't doubt the system is amazing and worth studying... I'm just really intrigued by the buy-in part.  I've dealt with self-important student athletes... It takes something pretty special to get them to tow the line, and usually that isn't coming down on them... that just makes them worse to deal with.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't doubt the system is amazing and worth studying... I'm just really intrigued by the buy-in part.  I've dealt with self-important student athletes... It takes something pretty special to get them to tow the line, and usually that isn't coming down on them... that just makes them worse to deal with.

My sense is he's learned how to empower the guys as they move through so after they've been there 2/3/4 years they're policing themselves in large part. That's how it's sustaining itself.....

I would not worry about his work ethic. IF he flips Calvin Ashley will wear him like a cheap suit, for that crap he said at the UA sign in. He will either learn to work hard or be embarrassed and leave. 

Fredst hit the nail on the head.    It's all about the players now.   All the coaches do is run off the bad apples.    Players like Evans and Hand will take the leadership roll that Allen and Foster had last year and demand effort from the younger guys.  Plus it's that mentality that you don't want to be the team or person to have the let down ..

3 hours ago, Shift said:

Oh boy.  How many times have I heard this phrase.............................I am to the point that I have a really hard time discounting the "measureables" argument given all the busts Auburn has had just over the last 6-8 years.

BTW, I'm not calling you out, personally.  Just speaking in general.

Totally legit response. As I said though with the LB's we have already picked up if he doesn't work out we are not hurt that bad. If we needed a great LB for sure he would not be my pick either. I just think with number of open picks he is worth a gamble.

51 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Totally legit response. As I said though with the LB's we have already picked up if he doesn't work out we are not hurt that bad. If we needed a great LB for sure he would not be my pick either. I just think with number of open picks he is worth a gamble.

I could live with this as well, based on your explanation above. 

We'll see you in the Iron Bowl! I hope you eat those words......

Archived