2017 4* LB Markail Benton (Bama 6/10/16)

WarEagleAU

When you care more about keeping an LB from uat who might not even pan out the way we want him to instead of getting two guys who could work out better than the latter... That's when you know you have a problem worrying about the college across the state. Benton is likely Bama bound as something changed on Sunday that I can't be sure what. It's a loss, but I could see him potentially falling in the rankings later in the year like E said. Bring on Ignont, Rice, and KJ!

I was told MB did not even set up a commit date or time til after his Bama visit Sunday FWIW.

Yep. It's a shame. Been watching this kid for two years at his games.

Yeah. I was at the Prattville game. I was surprised how much in the game he was but made virtually no plays. He was a beast against us his Soph year.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure when MN decided to set up the commitment date, but he told our coaches and fellow recruits at BCW he would be coming to Auburn. It looks like he told UAT coaches the same thing though Sunday. That's why I don't ouch much stock into silent commits.. MB has been silently committed to us for over a year.

He told his high school coach Jamey Dubose Sunday after the Bama visit that he wanted to publicly commit Friday. He has not told CPC staff who he is picking.

I had not heard MB was a silent. That's interesting.

When you care more about keeping an LB from uat who might not even pan out the way we want him to instead of getting two guys who could work out better than the latter... That's when you know you have a problem worrying about the college across the state. Benton is likely Bama bound as something changed on Sunday that I can't be sure what. It's a loss, but I could see him potentially falling in the rankings later in the year like E said. Bring on Ignont, Rice, and KJ!

I was told MB did not even set up a commit date or time til after his Bama visit Sunday FWIW.

Yeah. I was at the Prattville game. I was surprised how much in the game he was but made virtually no plays. He was a beast against us his Soph year.

he plays a ton of snaps but was off a little last year. We've talked about this in the past. I was at most of Central's home games last year.

he plays a ton of snaps but was off a little last year. We've talked about this in the past. I was at most of Central's home games last year.

My bad. Don't remember talking about the Prattville game.

I'm not sure when MN decided to set up the commitment date, but he told our coaches and fellow recruits at BCW he would be coming to Auburn. It looks like he told UAT coaches the same thing though Sunday. That's why I don't ouch much stock into silent commits.. MB has been silently committed to us for over a year. We shall see who he picks.

I'm told uat. Been a silent for close to 2 years I do believe.

I'm not sure when MN decided to set up the commitment date, but he told our coaches and fellow recruits at BCW he would be coming to Auburn. It looks like he told UAT coaches the same thing though Sunday. That's why I don't ouch much stock into silent commits.. MB has been silently committed to us for over a year. We shall see who he picks.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Like y'all, I have been told both...by 3 different people. I'm leaning UAT

Man. I hate Pruitt was high on MB unlike Kirby. He will be a pain in the buttocks when we want the same defensive recruits.

I completely agree with WDE, this HAS to stop! There will be no excuse if we lose Benton to Bama. And I don't care about Rice or Britt. We have to stop letting Alabama get whoever they want in this state, especially Auburn fans in our own backyard. Them getting Wilson and Davis last year should have pushed Ignont and Benton to us even more. How is Alabama selling them on sitting behind these two studs instead of immediate playing time at Auburn?

Alabama is also looking to get in the door with Justyn Ross. They are trying to break up any school that AU is trying to use as a pipeline. T-Will, Steele, & Broussard need to seal the deal!

I completely understand the frustration in the rest of your post but this...You don't care about 2 prospects that may be better in the end? That makes a lot of sense.

My point is that I want to be able to land who we want to land instead of the leftovers that Bama doesn't want. If Britt & Rice turn out to be better LB's, then great. But who's to say that if Alabama decides that after they commit to us then Bama starts showing them love, and they flip to UAT too. I was initially very excited about having Steele & T-Will to end the drought of missing out on all these top LB's going to Bama. But if we lose these two guys that we thought that we had locked up a long time ago, then this is very frustrating and concerning. Just my $0.02

I completely agree with WDE, this HAS to stop! There will be no excuse if we lose Benton to Bama. And I don't care about Rice or Britt. We have to stop letting Alabama get whoever they want in this state, especially Auburn fans in our own backyard. Them getting Wilson and Davis last year should have pushed Ignont and Benton to us even more. How is Alabama selling them on sitting behind these two studs instead of immediate playing time at Auburn?

Alabama is also looking to get in the door with Justyn Ross. They are trying to break up any school that AU is trying to use as a pipeline. T-Will, Steele, & Broussard need to seal the deal!

I completely understand the frustration in the rest of your post but this...You don't care about 2 prospects that may be better in the end? That makes a lot of sense.

My point is that I want to be able to land who we want to land instead of the leftovers that Bama doesn't want. If Britt & Rice turn out to be better LB's, then great. But who's to say that if Alabama decides that after they commit to us then Bama starts showing them love, and they flip to UAT too. I was initially very excited about having Steele & T-Will to end the drought of missing out on all these top LB's going to Bama. But if we lose these two guys that we thought that we had locked up a long time ago, then this is very frustrating and concerning. Just my $0.02

We aren't exactly LBU. We should be overjoyed to get the guys E mentioned.

Agreed. AU needs to have some high LBS drafted

Get these guys and develop them put a couple in NFL then we can compete evenly.

I think at least Rice is higher on our board than one of these guys. So landing him is landing "who we want", not leftovers.

Get these guys and develop them put a couple in NFL then we can compete evenly.

Please have a good two years Tre. :hail:

I think at least Rice is higher on our board than one of these guys. So landing him is landing "who we want", not leftovers.

Rice is not higher that Benton or Ignont on AU's board.

Benton and Ignont are both def higher on the board than Rice. We do have 2 of the top lbs on our board already committed though. CW should be a high 4 star and our coaches believe he will be a stud. Losing both Benton and Ignont would be big.

Benton and Ignont are both def higher on the board than Rice. We do have 2 of the top lbs on our board already committed though. CW should be a high 4 star and our coaches believe he will be a stud. Losing both Benton and Ignont would be big.

True. I do believe, and you can correct me if not, but Wooten is the #1 guy I do believe.

Respectfully disagree. They may be higher on the board than Rice & Britt but given Benton's abissmal Jr year & Ignont being told by IMG to leave due to his behavior I doubt there is a noticeblegap between Benton/ Ignont & Rice/Britt.

Also doesn't it cause concern that IMG had moved Ignont to RB instead of LB? You figure if he was an elite LB he would stick at that position.

Respectfully disagree. They may be higher on the board than Rice & Britt but given Benton's abissmal Jr year & Ignont being told by IMG to leave due to his behavior I doubt there is a noticeblegap between Benton/ Ignont & Rice/Britt.

Also doesn't it cause concern that IMG had moved Ignont to RB instead of LB? You figure if he was an elite LB he would stick at that position.

We will never know what really happened with Ignont and IMG but I agree with you based on how poorly Benton played last year and the questions around Ignont along with how well Rice and Britt have shown out that I would be happy if we get Rice and Britt. That said I would not be upset if we got either Benton or Ignont. As long as we get two of these 4 with the two we have we should be good. If we only get 1 of these 4 I think we still have some other solid options at LB. As many have said this is a great year for Linebackers.

Yep CW was #1 on our board. E that's just my opinion that loosing them would be big. Benton CW TD and WI were the top lbs on our board. I don't know the true order of those besides CW being at the top. My personal order of those guys would be CW TD MB then WI. If MB has the type of swnior year he is capable of he moves to the top of this list. This being the MB thread I will say that when u put as much time and effort into recruiting a guy as we have him, and the fact he has been a silent commit for so long losing him would def be a big deal.

Yep CW was #1 on our board. E that's just my opinion that loosing them would be big. Benton CW TD and WI were the top lbs on our board. I don't know the true order of those besides CW being at the top. My personal order of those guys would be CW TD MB then WI. If MB has the type of swnior year he is capable of he moves to the top of this list. This being the MB thread I will say that when u put as much time and effort into recruiting a guy as we have him, and the fact he has been a silent commit for so long losing him would def be a big deal.

Interesting question for you, since you are more connected to recruiting than pretty much anyone. What kinds of things could a school like bama say to a kid who has been all Auburn for so long that would make him flip. I mean, if he's been on board as long as he has, then he knows he has the opportunity to come in and be the man from day one, which would in no way happen at bama. He knows the drastic difference between the two school's environments and obviously chose Auburn back when he silently committed. I'm sure he was also excited about being part of a turn around at that position. I'm just intrigued as to what could be done, other than something illegal, to make a kid who was all Auburn say, you know what, I'm going to give up early playing time to be be a part of the system instead of part of the family.

Interesting question for you, since you are more connected to recruiting than pretty much anyone. What kinds of things could a school like bama say to a kid who has been all Auburn for so long that would make him flip. I mean, if he's been on board as long as he has, then he knows he has the opportunity to come in and be the man from day one, which would in no way happen at bama. He knows the drastic difference between the two school's environments and obviously chose Auburn back when he silently committed. I'm sure he was also excited about being part of a turn around at that position. I'm just intrigued as to what could be done, other than something illegal, to make a kid who was all Auburn say, you know what, I'm going to give up early playing time to be be a part of the system instead of part of the family.

Charger or Hummer?

UAT knows how to develop LBs and put them in the league.

Auburn, not so much, at least not recently.

Yea, I get that, but at the same time, he has to have known, for the past 2 years, their track record for getting linebacker's recruited vs ours. That can't be new news to him.

The only thing I can think is that they are attacking T-Will somehow... or trying to buy Benton.

Interesting. I really did think I'd seen a discussion of us being really high on Monty Rice. I stand corrected.

Even so, if you told me that our top six LBs were (in no particular order): Wooten, Moultry, Ignont, Benton, Rice, and Britt, then you told me we signed any four of those six... I'd be tickled pink. So I'll just say that I'm not worried about any particular guy in the group. I just want four LB signees in that group.

Archived