2017 4* LB Markail Benton (Bama 6/10/16)

WarEagleAU

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been scanning the posts....did not seem that anyone from AU really expected us to sign this guy......just wondering if he was a "miss" or just today is an affirmation of what has pretty much been expected?

Maybe it's just my way of looking at it but I don't think we are out-recurited when there is not even a legitimate contest.

I'm always curious how the other commits feel about someone, who obviously told them he was all in, up and changes sides to their future school's hated rival.

We're out recruited if we were recruiting him for two or three years....

I guess that is a way to look at it which means we are out recruited dozens. maybe ,hundreds of times over a few years..we bring guys to BCW and get maybe one.. Just saying that I don't recall seeing that he was ours to lose...but maybe I missed something along the way with him.

This is due to awful LB play since 2007. No question. T will and Steele coach a good group. Next year AU gets their pick of the litter. UA is LB U.. just fact

I've watched each guy listed perform at combines and watched their highlight films, I'm just a HS football coach but KJ Britt is the best LB in the South in my opinion. Dude is a special player in my eyes.

Britt is uga bound. FWIW. But it is only June.

That's very upsetting. He really impressed me with his athleticism and leadership at the opening in ATL, and his film looks on the same level as Tray Blackmon and Foster's did in HS. I really hoped he'd end up on the plains.

This is due to awful LB play since 2007. No question. T will and Steele coach a good group. Next year AU gets their pick of the litter. UA is LB U.. just fact

Depending on which recruiting rankings you're looking at, both Moultry and Ignont are rated higher than Benton. I think Rivals has them both higher, 24/7 has Benton higher. They are all amongst the top LB prospects regardless. If we those two of the three, it's hard for me to say we got out-recruited.

Looks like he cited how Bama "has better coaching" than AU as a key reason he chose Bama. Curious to see how people spin this one

http://www.al.com/sp...enton_says.html

"what was he supposed to say?"

he is supposed to also explain how he knows he will redshirt then play two years on special teams before he has any chance to play on defense.

Looks like he cited how Bama "has better coaching" than AU as a key reason he chose Bama. Curious to see how people spin this one

This isn't sour grapes, but I don't like that kind of stuff. Had he committed to Auburn today, even if it was because he thought we had better coaching, I'd rather he just say that we were just a better fit for him. Or say you just connected better with the staff. There's no need to knock other coaches.

I like that the kid was being honest. We see too many cliche, cookie cutter responses (look no further than our very own HC) so if a kid is being openly honest about why he chose one school over an other I find it refreshing. JMO

This isn't sour grapes, but I don't like that kind of stuff. Had he committed to Auburn today, even if it was because he thought we had better coaching, I'd rather he just say that we were just a better fit for him. Or say you just connected better with the staff. There's no need to knock other coaches.

Yeah I know. I was just poking fun at a large group that says things like that...even if they're correct.

I thought he was supposed to say it was a "business decision.....the best thing for me and my family. "

Meanwhile, wonder what he will say to explain his move to North Alabama in a couple years?

I like that the kid was being honest. We see too many cliche, cookie cutter responses (look no further than our very own HC) so if a kid is being openly honest about why he chose one school over an other I find it refreshing. JMO

I prefer more classy responses. If you're trying to decide between two girls to take an event and you think one is a lot better looking than the other, if she asks why you chose the other girl it isn't necessary to say "She's prettier than you."

In Benton's case, even something like "They just have a great track record of putting LBs in the pros" is better than what he said.

I prefer more classy responses. If you're trying to decide between two girls to take an event and you think one is a lot better looking than the other, if she asks why you chose the other girl it isn't necessary to say "She's prettier than you."

In Benton's case, even something like "They just have a great track record of putting LBs in the pros" is better than what he said.

I agree Titan. Stay classy turd commits. I don't want our guys to say this type of thing. I think Steele was hired by the shrimp twice. He must know how to coach and he has been a major college coach for numerous years.

Of course they did! Class and bammer have rarely shared the same sentence unless you are talking about their lack of it. Either way we will need to get the best we can get, develop the class, and win. Winning changes everything.

I wish a top recuit from Alabama's own back yard would commit to Auburn. I'm tired at seeing guys from AU or close to AU commit to the dark side.

For all we know, bama told him to say something like that in order to negatively recruit against us.

I doubt they'd come right out and tell a recruit to say that. But even if they did, you don't have to go along. They aren't yanking a scholly because you won't diss the competition.

Archived