2018 4* Juco DT Daquan Newkirk (Auburn 6/18/15)

McLoofus

I'm hoping we add him to a rotation that still has Davidson, Holland, and Coe. That'd be just fine with me.

• Like 2

Update here. DN is expected to grow a bit more & end up at DT for AU. He still plans to graduate juco in December with 3 years to play 3 seasons at AU starting in 2018. I have seen a number of coaches speak highly of him FWIW.

• Like 1

From just getting caught up on this thread....whew.   One thing for sure, I love that he will be so physically mature when he arrives and have plenty of eligibility.  Nothing like a true freshman or sophomore.

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Update here. DN is expected to grow a bit more & end up at DT for AU. He still plans to graduate juco in December with 3 years to play 3 seasons at AU starting in 2018. I have seen a number of coaches speak highly of him FWIW.

Any idea what his measurable are now? I love that he has 3 years of eligibility.

8 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Any idea what his measurable are now? I love that he has 3 years of eligibility.

I saw 6'3, 280 lbs last week.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I saw 6'3, 280 lbs last week.

Not bad, but 280 is a bit small for a DT isn't it? Especially if Steele is moving to a 3-4 technique. We trying to get Ole Miss style DTs who are really athletic and can sack the QB?

28 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Not bad, but 280 is a bit small for a DT isn't it? Especially if Steele is moving to a 3-4 technique. We trying to get Ole Miss style DTs who are really athletic and can sack the QB?

Relax. He still has a year & a half to get roughly 20 lbs. He went from 260 to 280 in roughly the same amount of time & no telling how fast he did it. Besides he's playing Strong side End this year in juco which is typically more of a run stopping position.

And while we will use 3 DL some I have not seen anything that says we are going heavy or exclusively to a 3 man front.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

Didn't this guy play tailback in high school? From what I remember he is a fantastic athlete 

On 5/4/2017 at 9:55 AM, ellitor said:

Relax. He still has a year & a half to get roughly 20 lbs. He went from 260 to 280 in roughly the same amount of time & no telling how fast he did it. Besides he's playing Strong side End this year in juco which is typically more of a run stopping position.

And while we will use 3 DL some I have not seen anything that says we are going heavy or exclusively to a 3 man front.

Wait you're thinking Newkirk is gonna get to 300 pounds by the team he gets in campus? 

Edited by ClaytonAU

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Wait you're thinking Newkirk is gonna get to 300 pounds by the team he gets in campus? 

No. I said a year and a half. He gets to campus in January which is 8 months.

Just now, ellitor said:

No. I said a year and a half. He gets to campus in January which is 8 months.

That's really what I meant, I'm down for this, but jeez I remember him being in high school and he was smaller. I can't imagine him being 300 pounds! 

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

That's really what I meant, I'm down for this, but jeez I remember him being in high school and he was smaller. I can't imagine him being 300 pounds! 

He was 260 lbs when he finished high school at 6'3. He is 280 now and has the frame to get to or near 300.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

I don't think I want DTs "like Ole Miss" but can I sign up for a DT like Robert Nkemdiche? I'm fully on board with crazy athlete who was once a DE but now dominates at DT. If that's Newkirk, great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

I don't think I want DTs "like Ole Miss" but can I sign up for a DT like Robert Nkemdiche? I'm fully on board with crazy athlete who was once a DE but now dominates at DT. If that's Newkirk, great!

Let's hope Cowart lays out the blueprint for Newkirk. 

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Long time coming....Congrats!  WDE

12 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Long time coming....Congrats!  WDE

Lol. He's just visiting. Not enrolling. He doesn't graduate juco til December.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Lol. He's just visiting. Not enrolling. He doesn't graduate juco til December.

Geeez.  My neighbor reports to Colorado Buffs in June and they have to take some summer classes.  I was assuming he was starting summer classes at Auburn. :)   I will repost in 6 months!!  I am just being proactive.

• Like 1

Newkirk wears dedication to Auburn on his sleeve...literally

Auburn verbal commit Daquan Newkirk has an Auburn themed sleeve tattoo.

Michael Niziolek

7_5321006.JPG
(Photo: Michael Niziolek, 247Sports)

AUBURN, Ala. — Daquan Newkirk has taken a long and winding road to Auburn, but his commitment to the school was never in doubt. 

The defensive lineman remained verbally committed to the school from his time at First Academy High School to his current stint at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College where he's worked to get academically eligible. 

Newkirk was so confident in his ultimate destination he got an Auburn-themed sleeve tattoo years ago on his left arm. His plan is to eventually add his jersey number to the tattoo. 

Auburn defenders Tray Matthews — a similar Auburn themed tattoo — and Carlton Davis — a tattoo paying tribute to his Miami roots — recently showed off detailed new sleeve tattoos on social media. 

Tray's tattoo is pretty sick. That is the first I have seen of it.