The Cross and the Confederate Flag

TitanTiger

Watched "Selma" for the first time last night. If you have seen it, you know that it included a lot of original news footage taken during the civil rights marches. You may also note how prominent the confederate battle flag appeared in that actual footage.

That's exactly as I remember it.

While I don't doubt there are those who strongly and sincerely believe the CBF stands for their "heritage" (however defined), its obvious they are simply overlooking it's predominate symbolism. It was born in the effort to preserve slavery and survived as a symbolism of racism.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched "Selma" for the first time last night. If you have seen it, you know that it included a lot of original news footage taken during the civil rights marches. You may also note how prominent the confederate battle flag appeared in that actual footage.

While I don't doubt there are those who strongly and sincerely believe the CBF stands for their "heritage" (however defined), its obvious they are simply overlooking it's predominate symbolism. It was born in the effort to preserve slavery and survived as a symbolism of racism.

they are choosing to overlook the intended symbolism or don't have the ability to reason with the past. either way i don't get why they get so defensive. it is still available to purchase and legal to display.

They should let war Timmy take over....I bet they wouldn't have ANY problem with that

they are choosing to overlook the intended symbolism or don't have the ability to reason with the past. either way i don't get why they get so defensive. it is still available to purchase and legal to display.

For me personally, it had to do more with shattering a childhood paradigm. It's not an easy thing to do. But in the end it's an empowering experience.

For me personally, it had to do more with shattering a childhood paradigm. It's not an easy thing to do. But in the end it's an empowering experience.

i was a Dukes of Hazzard fan. Had replicas of it(general Lee ) toys of course. In my teen years I saw enough to understand the feelings(from the flag, not the car or show) and it was usually intended for intimidation. It would be very difficult if that show didn't completely suck watching as an adult. For example, I will watch Andy Griffith every chance I get, still love it. Not the Dukes.

i was a Dukes of Hazzard fan. Had replicas of it(general Lee ) toys of course. In my teen years I saw enough to understand the feelings(from the flag, not the car or show) and it was usually intended for intimidation. It would be very difficult if that show didn't completely suck watching as an adult. For example, I will watch Andy Griffith every chance I get, still love it. Not the Dukes.

My paradigm was the Lost Cause version of the war (actually taught in school), visits to civil war battle sites, reading and watching romanticized stuff on TV (The "Gray Ghost") and the movies (Gone with the Wind), playing with toy muskets and wearing confederate caps. As I got into my pre-teens, I started studying (only) the military campaigns and personalities of the war. I remember writing an essay on Robert E. Lee for my 7th grade English class.

As I got older - and kept reading - I started to go through a long period of cognitive dissonance about the "Southern Cause" which took me several years to resolve.

There are just too many good modern historians - many are Southerners - for anyone who seriously studies history not to revise their childhood paradigms of the Southern cause, as difficult as that may be.

But no offense meant. I realize that other people may not be so interested in the subject to devote the time to do so.

My paradigm was the Lost Cause version of the war (actually taught in school), visits to civil war battle sites, reading and watching romanticized stuff on TV (The "Gray Ghost") and the movies (Gone with the Wind), playing with toy muskets and wearing confederate caps. As I got into my pre-teens, I started studying (only) the military campaigns and personalities of the war. I remember writing an essay on Robert E. Lee for my 7th grade English class.

As I got older - and kept reading - I started to go through a long period of cognitive dissonance about the "Southern Cause" which took me several years to resolve.

There are just too many good modern historians - many are Southerners - for anyone who seriously studies history not to revise their childhood paradigms of the Southern cause, as difficult as that may be.

But no offense meant. I realize that other people may not be so interested in the subject to devote the time to do so.

i was never interested as a kid.

i was never interested as a kid.

Then you are fortunate. That makes it much easier to acknowledge the truth.

Archived