Good article on Lawson and Muschamp's D

mad4au

Translated: look for Jawja to chop block the heck out of him.

Are they still pissy because they couldn't block Nick Fairley?

They blame NF for 2 cheap shots, and one clearly was. However, the one where NF's helmet collided with Murray's knee was totally unavoidable. He was blocked into the QB basically. I think at that point the UGA folks were just salty.

But the one where he just drilled Murray in the back a solid 1-2 seconds after he released the ball was definitely a cheap shot.

They blame NF for 2 cheap shots, and one clearly was. However, the one where NF's knee collided with Murray's knee was totally unavoidable. He was blocked into the QB basically. I think at that point the UGA folks were just salty.

But the one where he just drilled Murray in the back a solid 1-2 seconds after he released the ball was definitely a cheap shot.

I agree but complaints about cheap shots coming from Georgia is like a pot calling paper black.

They blame NF for 2 cheap shots, and one clearly was. However, the one where NF's knee collided with Murray's knee was totally unavoidable. He was blocked into the QB basically. I think at that point the UGA folks were just salty.

I agree but complaints about cheap shots coming from Georgia is like a pot calling paper black.

Yes because watching it on a 60 inch TV seeing the macro view of the play in slow motion give you a real world example of a what really happened in real time. 1-2 seconds pfft whatever, dirty play who knows not my call

Yes because watching it on a 60 inch TV seeing the macro view of the play in slow motion give you a real world example of a what really happened in real time. 1-2 seconds pfft whatever, dirty play who knows not my call

You're right. I just looked it up, it wasn't quite 1-2 seconds, but lowering his helmet into his back like that certainly looked intentional/dirty. If a DLineman does that same exact play to JJ this year or NM last year this board would've went ballistic calling for a suspension. Especially considering the extra care QBs are under.

Haha agreed.

Love how he said that Carl is Dee Ford and Cowart is Carl at this point, Man there's zero doubt that Carl will put up beastly numbers and i know there will be a little of a learning curve for Cowart but he was the no. 1 recruit for a reason...Who's to say both won't beastly numbers? Everyone should know that D-line is on lock without a doubt this year,Like I've been saying I'm not worried about anything on defense but the secondary

I hope Lawson will put up huge numbers. He has only played well in short spurts in his only year on the field. The potential is certainly there as everyone is saying and reports are that hes a very hard worker which bodes well for us at the DE slot.

It will be fun watching Lawson, D. Russell, M. Adams and Cowart all on the field together. There's all kinds of potential throughout the D line depth chart also, hope they all shine. But I believe Lawson is going to show out this Fall. And with better D line play our entire D will benefit. Should be a fun year. War Eagle!!

i agree on both plays. The cheap one cost us pretty bad too if i remember correctly.

This article is great, because it shows Lawson playing in situations which will be very common for CWM's Buck position. Two-point stance pass rushing, two-point stance run defense, and three -point stance pass rushing.

The other thing to consider is, if offenses double-team Lawson, it will open up opportunities for other defensive players. In 2013, when both Ford and Lawson were in the game, Gabe Wright became much more effective.

I just want to see Ole Miss 2013 from Lawson week-in, week-out. That was the best game by an Auburn defensive player, at any position, since Nick Fairley. He killed that entire game. Seriously. That game was dominance. He ate the RB and the QB in the read option. Who does that?? Plus, the two sacks. Plus, setting the edge. Like Will Smith said: "From now on, that's how you drive." That's all I want from my stud DE/LB hybrid wrecking ball.

I just want to see Ole Miss 2013 from Lawson week-in, week-out. That was the best game by an Auburn defensive player, at any position, since Nick Fairley. He killed that entire game. Seriously. That game was dominance. He ate the RB and the QB in the read option. Who does that?? Plus, the two sacks. Plus, setting the edge. Like Will Smith said: "From now on, that's how you drive." That's all I want from my stud DE/LB hybrid wrecking ball.

YES.

Unfortunately, some on this board assume its guaranteed that he will be this guy you are talking about. That was pre-ACL tear and he did not replicate that performance. He had half of his entire season's total of sacks in that one game, I believe. I think it's more realistic that he has a very good year, but won't live up to the crazy Clowney/automatic All-American honors hype he has been getting. This will basically only be his 2nd year of playing major ball and he didn't even get most of the snaps in the one year he did play.

But I am hoping the on-field result is on-par with the expectations on here, because we really need him to be that guy. He was our ONLY pass rush threat going into last season on the roster.

I think he's going to be closer to the hype than he was to early 2013. He was a killer in the Bama game that year as well. He's definitely had big games in big moments against good players/teams.

I just want to see him all out every game. I think he has a huge advantage this year: Will Muschamp. That guy puts players in a position to succeed. He lets his best guys go out and make plays. I absolutely think Lawson have a Dante Fowler-type leap (from a 2-3 sack guy to an 8-10 sack guy), and I think Lawson is more talented. If we're serious about moving him around to make plays every down, it could be special.

His freshman year was less about putting him in a spot to be dynamic and more about asking him to do a limited number of things really well. I think that's the right way to bring freshmen in (with rare exceptions). Clear their plate and ask them to do one or two things well. That necessarily means they won't be incredibly dynamic, but it also gives them a chance to succeed. That's what was so crazy about the Ole Miss game. He wasn't moving around, and he wasn't asked to do anything special. He just did special things because he is so talented. I want to see that talent combined with aggressiveness combined with Muschamp properly utilizing his Queen on the chess board.

I think he's going to be closer to the hype than he was to early 2013. He was a killer in the Bama game that year as well. He's definitely had big games in big moments against good players/teams.

I just want to see him all out every game. I think he has a huge advantage this year: Will Muschamp. That guy puts players in a position to succeed. He lets his best guys go out and make plays. I absolutely think Lawson have a Dante Fowler-type leap (from a 2-3 sack guy to an 8-10 sack guy), and I think Lawson is more talented. If we're serious about moving him around to make plays every down, it could be special.

His freshman year was less about putting him in a spot to be dynamic and more about asking him to do a limited number of things really well. I think that's the right way to bring freshmen in (with rare exceptions). Clear their plate and ask them to do one or two things well. That necessarily means they won't be incredibly dynamic, but it also gives them a chance to succeed. That's what was so crazy about the Ole Miss game. He wasn't moving around, and he wasn't asked to do anything special. He just did special things because he is so talented. I want to see that talent combined with aggressiveness combined with Muschamp properly utilizing his Queen on the chess board.

I like this take on CL and I hope you're right. The prospect of WM moving him around is very exciting, and if the flashes we saw start to become more consistent CL could have a monster season which would be huuuuge for the defense.

Not many people can get away with calling Carl Lawson a queen.

:rimshot:

Archived