What do we know about Louisville?

gr82b4au

Supposedly they lost a lot on D BUT they have a couple of transfers from Georgia and the have a great DL. Correct? What about their offense? I assume they will pass quite a bit?

Anyone have any insight?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supposedly they lost a lot on D BUT they have a couple of transfers from Georgia and the have a great DL. Correct? What about their offense? I assume they will pass quite a bit?

Anyone have any insight?

They have Petrino. That should say a lot.

Front 7 very good...... questions in the secondary but they have two ex starter-DB's from Ga that transferred Shaq Wiggins and Josh Harvey-Clemons both are good. I'm really not that similar with their offense

Some have them at 25 in the top 25 and a possible 10-2 season looming if the pieces come together. Lost their QB, 8 starters on O return including 4 on the Line. Only 5 on D but as stated they had some transfers.

I see them as 8-4 (Auburn, Clemson, FSU, and NC State) they need to pull off the upsets to do any better

This does sum it up nice http://espn.go.com/b...ville-cardinals

A year ago, Louisville installed new schemes on both sides of the ball, lost its best player for half the season, started three different QBs and still won nine games. So while there’s some key turnover this year, the expectations haven’t dipped much, and Bobby Petrino still has plenty of talent to work with.

Best-case scenario: As usual, Clemson and Florida State hog the bulk of the Atlantic hype, and even NC State has grabbed the “dark horse” label. But Louisville is still quietly lurking beneath the radar with a team easily capable of winning the division. The opener against Auburn will be a true litmus test, but a 9-2 or 10-1 run the rest of the way wouldn’t be out of the question regardless.

Worst-case scenario: The defense takes a step back without its departed stars, no QB emerges from the pack and the offense can’t find a weapon to replace DeVante Parker. If all that happens, it could be a long year in Louisville -- but still would probably equate to six wins and a bowl berth.

Most important player: This is a toss-up. On offense, Louisville appears poised to turn things over to Reggie Bonnafon, and his athleticism at QB can add another dimension to Petrino’s attack. On defense, the Cardinals need transfer Devonte Fields to make a quick transition to outside linebacker and be a disruptive force on that side of the ball.

Breakout player: The Cards probably can’t find anyone to replace the impact Parker had on the offense last year, but if someone’s going to step up in the passing game, it’s probably junior James Quick, who had 36 catches and three touchdowns a year ago.

Most important game: The toughest game may well be the opener against Auburn, but the more important one comes 12 days later when the Cardinals host Clemson in a game that could shape the direction of the ACC Atlantic race for the rest of the season.

Class of 2015 signee to watch: Pass-rusher Devonte Fields. If Fields isn’t the signee who has the biggest impact, it will be an upset. Fields is a dynamic pass-rushing talent who was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year at TCU in 2012. He will play in a standup position in the Cardinals' 3-4 defense but could also put his hand on the ground whenever called up. He has a lot to prove after the off-the-field issues that led to his departure from TCU. -- Gerry Hamilton

They won't be covering Duke for at least a half

Link?

Some(insiders) seem to think he won't miss a snap, contrary to what I originally thought.

I was just joking

He SHOULDN'T miss a snap, but I'm sure just to seem like Duke has been severely disciplined, he'll miss a half. I don't care if he misses the whole game really, Louisville has a new offense and no secondary.

Going off our usual OOC MO, they'll play us tight for at least 3 quarters. They'll throw the ball all over the field and their defense will come out with their hair on fire.

Front 7 very good...... questions in the secondary but they have two ex starter-DB's from Ga that transferred Shaq Wiggins and Josh Harvey-Clemons both are good. I'm really not that similar with their offense

If Louisville can get some consistent production from one QB, they might be a dangerous team this season. Hopefully, that consistency doesn't materialize until week two.

Petrino isn't a great defensive recruiter and should reap the benefits of the talent remnants from the Charlie Strong era while he can.

Going off our usual OOC MO, they'll play us tight for at least 3 quarters. They'll throw the ball all over the field and their defense will come out with their hair on fire.

I'm hoping Muschamp has broken us of that 5 year habit, as far as letting them sling the ball all over the field goes. Though I am expecting a rusty first game for the defense.

Here's my two cents on UL.

Offense:

• I think that they end up going with Bonnafon at QB. He's the most dynamic runner of all of the candidates, and Petrino will opt for him as it will challenge our defenses grasp of scheme and their ability to stay home, which will be tough as we transition into a new defense. As for the game, I think that the tactic works to an extent at the beginning of the game, but Muschamp makes the necessary adjustments to nullify the QB run threat.
  • The Cards lost their 3 top receivers last year, so the position is a relative unknown. Barring the emergence of a superstar, I expect them to run the ball early and often, using Brandon Radcliff as their primary back. This will also tie in with the decision to go to Bonnafon at QB, and could point to a read-option based offense for the Cards this season. Again, I think that the tactic works for a while, but Muschamp eventually tailors his D to stop it, and once we get up by a few scores, we force them to rely more on the passing game. Once this happens, I think our secondary and our pass rush takes over the game and shuts down their offense.
  • Their OL loses 3 starters, which could spell trouble if their replacements don't mesh with the veterans quickly, especially considering Muschamp's aggressive approach to rushing the passer. I expect us to use lots of stunts, blitzers off the edge, and for us to pull some interesting twists such as dropping Lawson into some zone coverage or as a QB spy to keep Bonnafon's scrambling ability in check.

Defense:

• While the Cards were very very good on defense last year, they will have to replace 7 starters this year, which does not bode well. The good news for Cards fans is that their replacements come in the form of transfers - Shaq Wiggins and Josh Harvey-Clemons from UGA and Devonte Fields from TCU will be sure to add quality depth to the Louisville D.
  • Their linebackers were the highest rated recruits signed by the previous staff, and all should be solid. Auburn may have some trouble here with the play action game if they cannot get the LBs to "flow". It will be important for the Tigers to come out and have success running the ball, as it will force the LBs to cheat up to stop it. This will in turn open up the pass game, and visa versa.
  • Speaking of Wiggins and Harvey-Clemons, they both have all but locked up a starting safety and cornerback spot. A weak link could be the complementary spot for each position, as they will be occupied by younger players with less experience. Should Duke play in the UL game, it is almost certain that he will be matched up with Harvey-Clemons for the entirety of the game, which would leave Ricardo 1-on-1 with a RS Freshman. Look for Auburn to exploit this possible mismatch.

Petrino has never lost a season opener as a CFB head coach? 10-0?

His offense will ready to play...remember the 2002 Iron Bowl...he can make a great game plan with a 4th string TB

Petrino and his coaching staff have been fitted with custom 65cc scooters. Do not be surprised to see Petrino riding around Louisville with Katlin Jenner snuggled behind him moving at a top speed of 35 MPH.

Petrino and his coaching staff have been fitted with custom 65cc scooters. Do not be surprised to see Petrino riding around Louisville with Katlin Jenner snuggled behind him moving at a top speed of 35 MPH.

Wow...just wow...never stop being you lol

Ole Harvey-Clemons. My favorite UGA db of all time.

Their mascot is a bird.

Link?

The Cardinal Bird is the mascot of the University of Louisville. The Cardinal was chosen as the mascot after 1913, selected because the northern cardinal is the state bird of Kentucky. The school colors of black and red were adopted later.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_Bird_(mascot)

Their mascot is a bird.

Link?

The Cardinal Bird is the mascot of the University of Louisville. The Cardinal was chosen as the mascot after 1913, selected because the northern cardinal is the state bird of Kentucky. The school colors of black and red were adopted later.

https://en.m.wikiped...al_Bird_(mascot)

Asked and answered. Thank you sir.

HAHAH!!! ...nicely played. Unfortunately, the link is broke :-\

Offense:

• I think that they end up going with Bonnafon at QB. He's the most dynamic runner of all of the candidates, and Petrino will opt for him as it will challenge our defenses grasp of scheme and their ability to stay home, which will be tough as we transition into a new defense. As for the game, I think that the tactic works to an extent at the beginning of the game, but Muschamp makes the necessary adjustments to nullify the QB run threat.
  • The Cards lost their 3 top receivers last year, so the position is a relative unknown. Barring the emergence of a superstar, I expect them to run the ball early and often, using Brandon Radcliff as their primary back. This will also tie in with the decision to go to Bonnafon at QB, and could point to a read-option based offense for the Cards this season. Again, I think that the tactic works for a while, but Muschamp eventually tailors his D to stop it, and once we get up by a few scores, we force them to rely more on the passing game. Once this happens, I think our secondary and our pass rush takes over the game and shuts down their offense.
  • Their OL loses 3 starters, which could spell trouble if their replacements don't mesh with the veterans quickly, especially considering Muschamp's aggressive approach to rushing the passer. I expect us to use lots of stunts, blitzers off the edge, and for us to pull some interesting twists such as dropping Lawson into some zone coverage or as a QB spy to keep Bonnafon's scrambling ability in check.

Defense:

• While the Cards were very very good on defense last year, they will have to replace 7 starters this year, which does not bode well. The good news for Cards fans is that their replacements come in the form of transfers - Shaq Wiggins and Josh Harvey-Clemons from UGA and Devonte Fields from TCU will be sure to add quality depth to the Louisville D.
  • Their linebackers were the highest rated recruits signed by the previous staff, and all should be solid. Auburn may have some trouble here with the play action game if they cannot get the LBs to "flow". It will be important for the Tigers to come out and have success running the ball, as it will force the LBs to cheat up to stop it. This will in turn open up the pass game, and visa versa.
  • Speaking of Wiggins and Harvey-Clemons, they both have all but locked up a starting safety and cornerback spot. A weak link could be the complementary spot for each position, as they will be occupied by younger players with less experience. Should Duke play in the UL game, it is almost certain that he will be matched up with Harvey-Clemons for the entirety of the game, which would leave Ricardo 1-on-1 with a RS Freshman. Look for Auburn to exploit this possible mismatch.

From what I've read Bonnafon has struggled in camp and Will Gardner seems to have taken the lead in the QB race

Offense:

Defense:

From what I've read Bonnafon has struggled in camp and Will Gardner seems to have taken the lead in the QB race

I had read that too, and I think we will no doubt see both (maybe all 3 QBs) play, but I figured Bonnafon would be chosen because of the lack of experience at WR and OL.

Archived