What do we know about Louisville?

gr82b4au

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my two cents on UL.

Offense:

• I think that they end up going with Bonnafon at QB. He's the most dynamic runner of all of the candidates, and Petrino will opt for him as it will challenge our defenses grasp of scheme and their ability to stay home, which will be tough as we transition into a new defense. As for the game, I think that the tactic works to an extent at the beginning of the game, but Muschamp makes the necessary adjustments to nullify the QB run threat.
  • The Cards lost their 3 top receivers last year, so the position is a relative unknown. Barring the emergence of a superstar, I expect them to run the ball early and often, using Brandon Radcliff as their primary back. This will also tie in with the decision to go to Bonnafon at QB, and could point to a read-option based offense for the Cards this season. Again, I think that the tactic works for a while, but Muschamp eventually tailors his D to stop it, and once we get up by a few scores, we force them to rely more on the passing game. Once this happens, I think our secondary and our pass rush takes over the game and shuts down their offense.
  • Their OL loses 3 starters, which could spell trouble if their replacements don't mesh with the veterans quickly, especially considering Muschamp's aggressive approach to rushing the passer. I expect us to use lots of stunts, blitzers off the edge, and for us to pull some interesting twists such as dropping Lawson into some zone coverage or as a QB spy to keep Bonnafon's scrambling ability in check.

Defense:

• While the Cards were very very good on defense last year, they will have to replace 7 starters this year, which does not bode well. The good news for Cards fans is that their replacements come in the form of transfers - Shaq Wiggins and Josh Harvey-Clemons from UGA and Devonte Fields from TCU will be sure to add quality depth to the Louisville D.
  • Their linebackers were the highest rated recruits signed by the previous staff, and all should be solid. Auburn may have some trouble here with the play action game if they cannot get the LBs to "flow". It will be important for the Tigers to come out and have success running the ball, as it will force the LBs to cheat up to stop it. This will in turn open up the pass game, and visa versa.
  • Speaking of Wiggins and Harvey-Clemons, they both have all but locked up a starting safety and cornerback spot. A weak link could be the complementary spot for each position, as they will be occupied by younger players with less experience. Should Duke play in the UL game, it is almost certain that he will be matched up with Harvey-Clemons for the entirety of the game, which would leave Ricardo 1-on-1 with a RS Freshman. Look for Auburn to exploit this possible mismatch.

From what I've read Bonnafon has struggled in camp and Will Gardner seems to have taken the lead in the QB race

You are correct. Their fans are not sold on Bonnafon at all and many want Gardner but Petrino must see something in him b/c even though they don't have a clear starter he's been giving Bonnafon every opportunity to take the job. I think we'll see 2 QBs in the game; whoever starts will likely have a short leash before the other comes int. They're also worried about the WR position.

Petrino gave Auburn fits when he was at Arkansas despite having much worse recruiting. He was 3-1 vs Auburn and the loss was in his first season. Even when Arkansas went 2-6 in the SEC, Petrino managed to beat Auburn. And the scores were not even close.

Yes, it's a whole new day at Auburn with M&M. The Auburn offense has a lot of talent, but no experience playing together as a unit. The Auburn defense has new energy and commitment, but is learning a new system. It is foolish to underestimate Petrino. I'm hoping Auburn can blow out the Cards and dominate them in every aspect of the game. But more likely, it's going to be a difficult game.

Petrino has never lost a season opener as a CFB head coach? 10-0?

Records are made to be broken.

Law of average says he is due for a hiccup

Petrino has never lost a season opener as a CFB head coach? 10-0?

Records are made to be broken.

Most of those season openers are against directional schools while at Arky or bad Kentucky teams during his first stint at L'ville.

You are correct. Their fans are not sold on Bonnafon at all and many want Gardner but Petrino must see something in him b/c even though they don't have a clear starter he's been giving Bonnafon every opportunity to take the job. I think we'll see 2 QBs in the game; whoever starts will likely have a short leash before the other comes int. They're also worried about the WR position.

Freudian typo? Here's to lots of int from UL QBs.

Their mascot is a bird.

Link?

Cardinals...probably the fiercest group of songbirds in America.

Well, when you put it THAT way.... does make me tremble in fear.

Freudian typo? Here's to lots of int from UL QBs.

haha. Yea i meant comes in. But we'll take a lot of INTs from their QB! :cheers:

Petrino and his coaching staff have been fitted with custom 65cc scooters. Do not be surprised to see Petrino riding around Louisville with Katlin Jenner snuggled behind him moving at a top speed of 35 MPH.

I think I see a gameday sign being made based on this......

I guess Fields is the most concerning thing about UL to me. We've had trouble with really good speed coming of the edge recently and he'll be a tough one to block. If we can slow him down a bit then I think we can score enough to out pace them. I'll believe an AU D can shut down Petrino when I see it...

Today while I was out playing golf, I saw a Cardinal. I stopped for a moment to get my head back out of the clouds. When the bird flew off in a different direction, I took out my Nike 7 wood and put the ball 3 feet from the pin. It was a 245 yard from tee to green. This made me stop and think that we will pluck every last stinking feather off of Mr. Redbird in a 45-24 mauling in Atlanta come Sept. 5.

I guess Fields is the most concerning thing about UL to me. We've had trouble with really good speed coming of the edge recently and he'll be a tough one to block. If we can slow him down a bit then I think we can score enough to out pace them. I'll believe an AU D can shut down Petrino when I see it...

Coleman could handle him

Coleman could handle him

Hope he does better with Fields then he did with Garret

Coleman could handle him

He'll be better this year then last year.

What do we know about Louiville? I know we win!!!!! :tdau:

Duke is back!!!!!!

Coleman could handle him

He'll be better this year then last year.

I'm hoping (and expecting) to see the same quantum leap from Shon that we saw with Greg Robinson between years 1 & 2 as starter

IF we win, this will be a great test for our defense. The two best offensive minds in the game are Malzahn and Petrino. Their offenses are totally different except for one thing, both of them can take whatever talent they have and mold their offenses to that talent. Underestimating Petrino would be dumb, and Malzahn is not dumb. This is going to be a tough matchup for our defense. Petrino's quarterbacks are schooled to release the ball on three steps (Remember Jason Campbell), they are deft ball fakers and will stand in during a rush. We are fortunate that Louisville does not have a proven starter at QB. Petrino's teams are excellent at protecting the passer also. Petrino does a great job incorporating the running game. Fortunately, he has never showed a penchant for defense. Unfortunately there is a lot of talent on their defense. Auburn has the superior talent on the field and I believe that will make the difference in the end, but it will not be easy. I expect a high scoring game. The film from this game will improve our secondary tremendously. One thing to watch for; Petrino LOVES short crossing routes over the middle. He will go to them regularly. Like Gus, if he finds something that is working he will run it until you stop it. Or not. It will probably not be a pretty game but playing a Petrino offense will help us find flaws that might have hurt us later.

I'm worried about this game actually. We could very well lose this game if we come out to a slow start. An early turnover could be the difference.

petrino will come out on fire since he has fallen from grace. if they have any talent he is a worry. but the same can be said coach muschamp. i am sure he wants to remind folks he can still coach as well. it will take our d a couple of minutes to relax so first thing i look for will be some hard hitting from us. legal of course. and if they are being as physicals as dyes camps used to be ok. just do not like petrino tho i know he can coach.

Look for our defense to make life miserable for Petrino and company. CWM will have our defense playing mean and nasty with the intent of making a statement to the rest of the country that Auburn will be your worst nightmare for a long time.

I'm worried about this game actually. We could very well lose this game if we come out to a slow start. An early turnover could be the difference.

I'm right there with you. I'm picturing something like the '13 SECCG against Missouri. High scoring back and forth until we wear them down halfway through the fourth.

I'm right there with you. I'm picturing something like the '13 SECCG against Missouri. High scoring back and forth until we wear them down halfway through the fourth.

Missouri had a vet QB, two NFL RBs, an amazing receiver and another WR that tore it up in 2014. Louisville has none of that

Archived