5* SG Mustapha Heron commits to AU!

RunInRed

Wow ...

One of the top wing scorers in the 2016 class -- Mustapha Heron -- has verbally committed to Auburn.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1574891-source-mustapha-heron-commits-to-auburn

An unofficial visit to Auburn has resulted in a commitment from five-star Mustapha Heron according to Stacey Davis of NYCHoops.net.

Heron had an official visit scheduled with Mississippi State later this month, and St. John's was considered the favorite in the Crystal Ball to land him.

Heron, a 6-5 power guard out of Waterbury (Conn.) Sacred Heart High School, is ranked No. 23 in the 2016 247Sports Composite.

image.jpg

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Auburn-lands-surprise-commitment-38769429

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beat me to it as well. Crazy that people are calling him underrated when he's a top 20 recruit nationally, hear he's a program changer. Great get!

Beat me to it as well. Crazy that people are calling him underrated when he's a top 20 recruit nationally, hear he's a program changer. Great get!

Played a 1 on 1 vs Chris Paul as a freshman. Some tournament or something like that. Was committed to Pitt for awhile.

Some experts are saying this may be the best commitment AU has had in its history. Period. Wow.

This guy looks like a great addition....just hope we can hold on to him. With these 4* and 5* players the recruiting seems to go on until the day they can sign their letters. Looks like he could be BP's best catch .....ever?

Just the beginning............................................get ready for the ride

I just know that you are right. With Austin Wiley looking like a probable get...I mean wow!!! We are on the precibus of something great for our entire athletic department and university. I'm so excited. We can be champions in ways that will make Bama envious of our program much the same way they perceive all others should envy their "school". Could you imagine having the type of runs at Auburn like Urban and Billy D did together at Florida? Couple that with softball and Baseball. Like I said ...WOW!!! It's great to be an Auburn Tiger!

A little write up on Mustapha

Auburn and head coach Bruce Pearl made a major statement on Sunday as five-star shooting guard Mustapha Heron pledged to the Tigers, a source confirmed to NBCSports.com. The 6-foot-5 Heron is a powerful scoring guard and he’s the most talented player that Pearl has landed at Auburn since his return to coaching. Heron is currently regarded as the No. 19 overall prospect in the Rivals 2016 national rankings.

A gifted attacker and finisher, Heron is one of the toughest guards to defend in the class because of his size and strength. Built like a football player, Heron can finish through contact and is very tough to stop with a full head of steam going to the rim. Although he still needs to improve his jumper, Heron has shown some improvement in it over the last year and has a potentially workable jumper going forward.

Heron visited Auburn this weekend and he joins point guard Jared Harper and power forward Anfernee McLemore in the Tigers’ 2016 recruiting class. Previously a Pitt commit in January of 2014, Heron opted to re-open up his recruitment in April.

Some experts are saying this may be the best commitment AU has had in its history. Period. Wow.

I don't know about that. When Coach Bob Davis got Atlanta's Mike Mitchell to sign with Auburn, Mitchell was one of the very top players in the nation. That was around 1972 and the star system was yet to come into vogue, but Mitchell would have been everybody's 5* prospect. After a fine career at AU, Mitch, a 6'8" power forward, stuck in the NBA for a number of years. I remember sitting on the steps at Dr. Haynes house in Opelika, eating watermelon with Mitch, who had yet to commit, and AU freshman guard Eddie Johnson, never dreaming that I was sitting between two future NBA stars. Mitchell committed that night and I'm pretty sure the reason was that I could beat him at spitting watermelon seeds. (End of history lesson)

In any case, this looks like a great pickup for Coach Pearl's team.

I was happy to see the football team got a 5 star commit. Assumed it was going to be marlon Davidson or maybe Nate Craig Meyers ... But ... Much to my delighted amazement - 5 star basketball commit.

Go read the free AUC article about his dad's thoughts on chuck person. Imagine a basketball program where Bruce pearl is NOT the number 1 recruiter.

This basketball program is gonna be good.

I don't know about that. When Coach Bob Davis got Atlanta's Mike Mitchell to sign with Auburn, Mitchell was one of the very top players in the nation. That was around 1972 and the star system was yet to come into vogue, but Mitchell would have been everybody's 5* prospect. After a fine career at AU, Mitch, a 6'8" power forward, stuck in the NBA for a number of years. I remember sitting on the steps at Dr. Haynes house in Opelika, eating watermelon with Mitch, who had yet to commit, and AU freshman guard Eddie Johnson, never dreaming that I was sitting between two future NBA stars. Mitchell committed that night and I'm pretty sure the reason was that I could beat him at spitting watermelon seeds. (End of history lesson)

In any case, this looks like a great pickup for Coach Pearl's team.

Thanks for the story!!

When is signing day for basketball? And what is our current class ranked now? This commitment is huge.

A little write up on Mustapha

Auburn and head coach Bruce Pearl made a major statement on Sunday as five-star shooting guard Mustapha Heron pledged to the Tigers, a source confirmed to NBCSports.com. The 6-foot-5 Heron is a powerful scoring guard and he’s the most talented player that Pearl has landed at Auburn since his return to coaching. Heron is currently regarded as the No. 19 overall prospect in the Rivals 2016 national rankings.

A gifted attacker and finisher, Heron is one of the toughest guards to defend in the class because of his size and strength. Built like a football player, Heron can finish through contact and is very tough to stop with a full head of steam going to the rim. Although he still needs to improve his jumper, Heron has shown some improvement in it over the last year and has a potentially workable jumper going forward.

Heron visited Auburn this weekend and he joins point guard Jared Harper and power forward Anfernee McLemore in the Tigers’ 2016 recruiting class. Previously a Pitt commit in January of 2014, Heron opted to re-open up his recruitment in April.

To think he will have Chuck Person to work with him on his J!!!

When is signing day for basketball? And what is our current class ranked now? This commitment is huge.

Number 7 in the country on 24/7. Jumped 25 spots.

Number 7 in the country on 24/7. Jumped 25 spots.

dayuuuum

Archived