5* SG Mustapha Heron commits to AU!

RunInRed

Udoka Azubuike is mentioned here by a couple of Posters. Do we have a legit shot for him and if we do get him won't that be 4 commits for what appears to be 3 openings as we only have three seniors.

That's not a problem. As kwren34 mentions, there will be dropouts, transfers and so forth. There always are, and in basketball it's even more common than in football.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just the beginning............................................get ready for the ride

I just know that you are right. With Austin Wiley looking like a probable get...I mean wow!!! We are on the precibus of something great for our entire athletic department and university. I'm so excited. We can be champions in ways that will make Bama envious of our program much the same way they perceive all others should envy their "school". Could you imagine having the type of runs at Auburn like Urban and Billy D did together at Florida? Couple that with softball and Baseball. Like I said ...WOW!!! It's great to be an Auburn Tiger!

Appreciate the enthusiasm, but don't really care what Bama thinks.

He is a lefty which I love. Back when I was younger and played a lot lefties always gave me the most trouble because one going left is natural for them but most lefties seem to be more naturally ambidextrous. They use both hands well which makes them even harder to cover. I watched his film he finishes strong he keeps his eyes on other players and passes well. Only saw a couple of jump shots so can't really rate that but with Person's helping him with jump shot he will get better. Person's had one of the sweetest jump shots I have ever seen.

He is a lefty which I love. Back when I was younger and played a lot lefties always gave me the most trouble because one going left is natural for them but most lefties same to be more naturally ambidextrous. They use both hands well which makes them even harder to cover. I watched his film he finishes strong he keeps his eyes on other players and passes well. Only saw a couple of jump shots so can't really rate that but with Person's helping him with jump shot he will get better. Person's had one of the sweetest jump shots I have ever seen.

Guarding lefties that know what they are doing is hell

• 7 months later...

Saw this where Heron was MVP

It was on Auburn Sports and let me go into it so I think it is ok to provide this link. If not please remove it.

https://auburn.n.rivals.com/news/mvp-performance-for-heron

Saw this where Heron was MVP

It was on Auburn Sports and let me go into it so I think it is ok to provide this link. If not please remove it.

https://auburn.n.rivals.com/news/mvp-performance-for-heron

Thats awesome, love that when asked why he chose us over more prominent bball schools, he said it was because of Bruce. What a guy!

Also from the article:

Another Auburn signee, point guard Jared Harper, was also a standout at the Derby Classic. Harper scored 14 points in the game, won the 2-on-2 contest and was a finalist in the 3-point shooting contest.

Looks like this years class is gonna be a good one!

Harper has camped really well. He'll be getting lots of minutes next year at PG so I'm hoping he is ready to go. I think we'll have a chance to be a pretty good team if we can find someone to play PG for us.

I'd really like for us to get a 6'6"-7" perimeter player....

Don't we already have them in Lang & Purifoy? Just a question.

I'd really like for us to get a 6'6"-7" perimeter player....

Don't we already have them in Lang & Purifoy? Just a question.

Dunans and Heron are both 6'5" wing players also

Lang is a spot up shooter so no he's not what I'm talking about. Dunans looks to be around 6'4" and the other two players you guys mentioned we haven't seen play so I can't evaluate them. But contrary to belief there's a big difference in 6'7" and 6'5"

Lang is a spot up shooter so no he's not what I'm talking about. Dunans looks to be around 6'4" and the other two players you guys mentioned we haven't seen play so I can't evaluate them. But contrary to belief there's a big difference in 6'7" and 6'5"

Danjel is supposedly up to 6'8 FTR.

I was replying to the 6'5" guys post

I know but he was one of the guys you were discussing you have not evaluated yet & rightfully so. I was just putting that nugget out there for everyone.

• 7 months later...

Already a guy who hasn't gotten enough credit for what he's done so far this year, but Heron is probably the smartest basketball iq player on this team, and it paid off tremendously yesterday. He's obviously also incredibly smooth when driving the lane, and taking jump shots. He's just a player. 

The heads up play to call the time out at the end saved the game as a desperation heave from the ground would have been another players first instinct, and the countless jump shots and layups he made off the dribble yesterday were exactly what AU needed on a day when it was hard to really take a big lead on a pesky team like Mercer. When we needed and answer, it tended to be Heron a lot yesterday, and I am so thankful this guy is an Auburn Tiger. 

He is going to be really good. And he's one hell of a finisher around the rim too. And that timeout at the end was an extremely heady play. Great play by him to get it to Dunans once all of his options were shut down on the final inbounds rather than forcing the issue to someone else.

Heron is our best penetrator which helps in breaking down a defense and getting a team into foul trouble too. I think i remember he also drove and dished off to Wiley for an easy layup late in the game (I think it was Heron). 

But he is steady and seems mature on the court, as someone mentioned the timeout with 1.1. With that out of control play unfolding, it would be easy for a freshman to try to get back up and just heave the ball to the goal. But without that TO on the floor, we don't have the buzzer beater from TJ...

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Heron is our best penetrator which helps in breaking down a defense and getting a team into foul trouble too. I think i remember he also drove and dished off to Wiley for an easy layup late in the game (I think it was Heron). 

But he is steady and seems mature on the court, as someone mentioned the timeout with 1.1. With that out of control play unfolding, it would be easy for a freshman to try to get back up and just heave the ball to the goal. But without that TO on the floor, we don't have the buzzer beater from TJ...

Yes, I'm nearly certain it was Heron who dished it off to Wiley for the easy two... Which was a crucial basket.

I actually think Heron is the best player on the team due to his fundamentals, consistency, and basketball IQ. Hes going to be an easy one for the coaches to develop.

3 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Yes, I'm nearly certain it was Heron who dished it off to Wiley for the easy two... Which was a crucial basket.

I actually think Heron is the best player on the team due to his fundamentals, consistency, and basketball IQ. Hes going to be an easy one for the coaches to develop.

I tend to share that belief but when purifoy is on, that kid is something else

even though it means we could lose them early, it's crazy to think that we have multiple freshmen on this team that are considered potential draft picks this year. 

How many times have all of us been excited about basketball recruiting at Auburn? We  might come away with one, maybe two bona fide stars. Then, for one reason or another they would not pan out. Hopefully, these guys will have the mindset to turn  the basketball program around:wareagle:

Archived