8 20 15 Practice

RunInRed

Catching up on today ...

Will Muschamp

Muschamp: We're OK, but the inconsistency is what bothers me right now.

Muschamp: We take 2 steps forward and 1 step back. We have to continue to press forward every single day.

Muschamp: I don't know who would start Day 1 (at linebacker) right now. ... We're going to play the best guys who consistently do it right

Muschamp has been very pleased with Jeremiah Dinson and Carlton Davis. Byron Cowart has had his best couple of days of practice this week.

Muschamp says they're doing things with Tray Matthews right now. Still not 100 percent, but if it were a game week, he could probably go.

On gamedays, Lance Thompson will be in press box for defense. Muschamp, T-Rob and Garner will be on the field.

Muschamp: Blake Countess would be our third safety right now.

Muschamp: Jeremiah Dinson and Carlton Davis are guys I would put in the game (at cornerback) and not even blink.

@AUBlog

Ricardo Louis

Louis, when asked if he'd say anything to Josh Harvey-Clemons/Shaq Wiggins: "I ain't gonna say a word to none of them until after the game"

Louis on Jeremy Johnson: "He just stays consistent. ... everything the coaches ask him to do, he does."

Ricardo Louis has taken a liking to freshman WR Ryan Davis. "He's from Florida, so he's my boy." Louis is showing Davis the ropes.

@AUBlog

Shon Coleman

Coleman: "We definitely came back and responded" after Tuesday's disappointing practice.

Coleman also singing the praises of freshman Mike Horton: "I think he's going to be a great player."

Coleman says he hasn't seen any separation at left guard or center with the two battles going on there.

Coleman: "I love going against (Carl Lawson). He's a guy--I think he's one of the best players in the country." Said Lawson makes him better

Coleman calls H-back Kamryn Pettway "a hard-nosed hitter." Says he likes to go for the knockout punch.

@AUBlog

Kris Frost

Frost called this period of practice "that grind period" -- mixture of installation and getting back to football mindset

Frost: "We've grown into (Muschamp's) personality and we're ready to thrive in his defense, his system"

Frost says Auburn's defense is "light years ahead" of where it was before Muschamp got here.

Frost on inconsistency at LB: "Trying to adjust to the demanding style of play ... doing everything we can to live up to that standard."

Frost: "I know once the season comes around we'll be ready. Right not we're just in that transition period."

@AUBlog

I don't even know who the two players Muschamp said are good to go are? I've been out of the loop lately but our secondary seems thin to me.

Even Countess doesn't ring a bell.

I think he's that 3* guy we recruited out of Fl. Chiz guy.

Countess is a graduate transfer from Michigan.

Champ giving Cass and Frost a big "Meh!" At least he sounds high on the secondary.

I'm hoping it's just to keep pushing them and for them not to be complacent in thinking they can't lose their jobs. I don't doubt LB play could be better but i do like this approach at LB. Only thing that concerns me is the constant word of: communication. I'd rather for our guys to get beat straight up than blowing/missing a lot of assignments due to bad communication. That seems to be the common theme with every staff on defense that's been here. However, i think Boom is going to set those guys up to be in better position to make plays and not have to think too much and just be able to react more.

The bigger question is what would those UL guys have to say to Matthews, neither of those two messed up on the play if I remember correctly

Matthews didn't mess up. He was about to get the easy interception but the other guy crossed right in front of him and tipped the ball to Louis.

The bigger question is what would those UL guys have to say to Matthews, neither of those two messed up on the play if I remember correctly

Matthews didn't mess up. He was about to get the easy interception but the other guy crossed right in front of him and tipped the ball to Louis.

You do ironman. It was harvey-clemons that tipped the ball out of Mathews hands.

Man it is such a relief for Muschamp to say that about Jeremiah Dinson and Carlton Davis, Lord knows we need them to step up

Man it is such a relief for Muschamp to say that about Jeremiah Dinson and Carlton Davis, Lord knows we need them to step up

No kidding. High praise from Champ.

We should be looking good at corner for a while with him and Trob at the wheel.

No kidding. High praise from Champ.

We should be looking good at corner for a while with him and Trob at the wheel.

I certainly hope so, that texas a&m game will be the real test, they are freaking loaded at wr

This is wrong.

I don't even know who the two players Muschamp said are good to go are? I've been out of the loop lately but our secondary seems thin to me.

Jeremiah Dinson and Carlton Davis are both freshman this year. We flipped Carlton late from tOSU.

Blake Countess is a graduate transfer from Michigan. He was an All-B1G player in 2013 with 46 tackles, 2 TFL, and 6 INT.

Champ giving Cass and Frost a big "Meh!"

Jedi mind control. Muschamp is a master at it.

I'm betting those two surprise a lot of people this year.

They are certainly in a position to surprise me! Don't get me wrong, I hope they both have fantastic senior years. I just don't expect it.

I think he's that 3* guy we recruited out of Fl. Chiz guy.

Countess is a graduate transfer from Michigan.

:rimshot:

Jeremiah Dinson and Carlton Davis are both freshman this year. We flipped Carlton late from tOSU.

Blake Countess is a graduate transfer from Michigan. He was an All-B1G player in 2013 with 46 tackles, 2 TFL, and 6 INT.

He would be the 3rd safety that is a puzzling statement for me

Countess could very well end up being the key acquisition for the team in the off season, considering all the youth in the secondary. It gives more of these younger players time to develop while a talented and experienced player at a very critical position mans the fort.

He would be the 3rd safety that is a puzzling statement for me

Countess is being moved around to multiple positions. Muschamp said he is looking to put the best 4, 5, or 6 DBs on the field, and Countess is in that group, primarily at corner. But if one of the safeties went down, Countess would be moved to safety and someone else would fill in at corner.

Champ giving Cass and Frost a big "Meh!"

Jedi mind control. Muschamp is a master at it.

I'm betting those two surprise a lot of people this year.

+1

Hate to say it but I am very frustrated hearing CWM say he is not that pleased with our LB play. Our starters have been starting a good while now and they are smart kids. What is gong on? Are they not football smart? Tre Williams was a 5 star out of HS and we expected huge things from him but we are not hearing huge things from the staff on him. I just wish we would hear the LB's kicked butt today in practice for the rest of preseason and into the season too.

Archived