8 20 15 Practice

RunInRed

Hate to say it but I am very frustrated hearing CWM say he is not that pleased with our LB play. Our starters have been starting a good while now and they are smart kids. What is gong on? Are they not football smart? Tre Williams was a 5 star out of HS and we expected huge things from him but we are not hearing huge things from the staff on him. I just wish we would hear the LB's kicked butt today in practice for the rest of preseason and into the season too.

It's frustrating to hear, but we all know Boom has taken over a defense that gave up 27/game. To get them to a TD better/game, drastic improvement is needed. To get there, the LBs CAN'T miss tackles like they did last season. To do that, they CAN'T be out of place. Huge mentality to change for Boom.

I think the biggest takeaway in what he said was "Being really good is hard."

Have to channel "Chizik" here and say that Boom wants them to go from "G2G."

Hate to say it but I am very frustrated hearing CWM say he is not that pleased with our LB play. Our starters have been starting a good while now and they are smart kids. What is gong on? Are they not football smart? Tre Williams was a 5 star out of HS and we expected huge things from him but we are not hearing huge things from the staff on him. I just wish we would hear the LB's kicked butt today in practice for the rest of preseason and into the season too.

IMO i just think he just has greater expectations of them...likely harder on them than any group. Personally i doubt they under performing to a large degree. As a group this is the best we've had in a while. I think it has more to do with Champ trying to get them to go to another level...be better than just good...a level he believes they are certainly capable of. JMO.

Guys, these are the same linebackers we have watched for 3 years. Are we really surprised? By what i am hearing from CWM they have improved.

It is fall preseason camp ...

I don't take anything the coaches say at face value. 50/50 that anything they say this time of year is actually the case.

I'll use the "show me on the field" approach, particularly with our defense - all position groups.

It's frustrating to hear, but we all know Boom has taken over a defense that gave up 27/game. To get them to a TD better/game, drastic improvement is needed. To get there, the LBs CAN'T miss tackles like they did last season. To do that, they CAN'T be out of place. Huge mentality to change for Boom.

That g2g stood for "good to great". In this case b2a (below average to above average) would be a big improvement. I hope they can pull it off.

Based on the play of the D since 2009 and especially since 2011 then how can anyone think any position on our D has performed to even average levels? Muschamp is used to having good to very good D play at a minimum. If we are fortunate enough to keep Muschamp as our DC for more than 2 years, then what Muschamp is saying about LB (and all other D positions) will be crystal clear.

wde

That g2g stood for "good to great". In this case b2a (below average to above average) would be a big improvement. I hope they can pull it off.

This

Coach Craig said he had very different (much higher) expectations for seniors than he does for freshmen. I think that's natural, and I suspect Coach Muschamp is the same. Even if Kris and Cass are outperforming all the other LBs, that doesn't mean they are living up to the high expectations set on them as seniors. I expect both to start and look good when the games roll around.

Coach Craig said he had very different (much higher) expectations for seniors than he does for freshmen. I think that's natural, and I suspect Coach Muschamp is the same. Even if Kris and Cass are outperforming all the other LBs, that doesn't mean they are living up to the high expectations set on them as seniors. I expect both to start and look good when the games roll around.

This sounds about right

Yea, the last two seasons, I swear our LBs seem to get swallowed up in the play about 75% of the time. This is the first thing I hope CWM gets corrected.

There is talent everywhere on D. CWM and the other defensive coaches are just really pushing the players at every position to learn the new system and perform up to their talent level. This is what fall camp should be about. They've worked all summer to get in peak shape physically. Now it's time to get the mental part down to the point where it us automatic and consistent. CWM is going to use every psychological method he knows to motivate and push these guys.

Take note -- Auburn D will be better this year. Maybe not the best D in the country. But they will be a lot better at every position.

Archived