2019 5* QB Bo Nix Commits to AU!!!

bigsixfive

20 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's a head coach's job to be involved in play calling and Malzahn is one of the best offensive minds in the game. He won't keep his nose out of play calling, and rightfully so.

I can see where Malzahn would suggest a pass or a run in a particular situation. Or maybe see an opportunity for a particular area of the field to attack. But should leave the actual play to be called for that with Lindsey.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

I can see where Malzahn would suggest a pass or a run in a particular situation. Or maybe see an opportunity for a particular area of the field to attack. But should leave the actual play to be called for that with Lindsey.

Malzahn is the Head Coach.  He is accountable for the performance of the football team, so he can step in and/or override decisions however he sees fit.  We may not like it, but that's how it is.  A wise coach will let his assistants do their job, but he does have a responsibility to oversee and support them in doing their jobs and, sometimes, to make the tough call.

• Like 4

On 8/15/2017 at 7:30 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

I hope we get Bo and JF but when you are talking about great QB's it is often the intangibles that set them apart.  Look at some of the great pro QB's Bart Starr was a field general a solid athlete and a solid arm but wasn't going to set the world on fire with his pure talent, Joe Montana was Bart Starr with a better arm and a little better athlete than Starr but there have been numerous QB's that if you only measured skill set were better then Montana but few who were better on game day. Peyton Manning all the tools size, arm,  etc. but what set him apart was the way he studied the game, he may have been the best prepared QB of all time. Tom Brady none of the experts would have predicted his level of success coming out of HS and college. Joe Kapp  a big boy and a competitor but as a pure QB weak arm made some horrible throws yet he willed his team to win.

So for all the people predicting BO and JF will both be the next great College QB I hope you are right but till I see them play in a few games I withhold putting them on a pedestal until they have proven it on the field.The measurables are there but there is so much more to being a QB.

If you wait until they have proven it on the field, it wouldn't be much of a prediction, would it?

38 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

If you wait until they have proven it on the field, it wouldn't be much of a prediction, would it?

It would if your name is Viper. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He tried to tell you that Stidham would win the starting job. He knew it before anyone else did. 

I don't know how he did it, ol' Vipey Vipe. 

3 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Malzahn is the Head Coach.  He is accountable for the performance of the football team, so he can step in and/or override decisions however he sees fit.  We may not like it, but that's how it is.  A wise coach will let his assistants do their job, but he does have a responsibility to oversee and support them in doing their jobs and, sometimes, to make the tough call.

Just like with Chizik told Gus to dial up a 4th down play against bama.   Chiz didn't tell Gus what to do or which side to throw to, but he made the 'strategic' decision and Gus made the 'tactical' decision.

Personally,  once we cross the 40 (on OUR side), I am good if we go for it on 4th down - EVERY TIME (if less than 5 yards).  That is a head coach decision of course.  If Lindsey knew that was the automatic call, and with our weapons, holy cow that changes A LOT.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, amsterjam said:

But we have the best kicker in the nation.

True...but we need a 'go for the throat' attitude.  If I were the coach, there would be some moments I would use D Carlson of course.

But imagine how an OC would change his play calling if he knew, "we crossed the 40 and I have 60 yards to go.  I have 4 downs for conversion.  I have these weapons....".  This would change play calling I am sure.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Beaker said:

True...but we need a 'go for the throat' attitude.  If I were the coach, there would be some moments I would use D Carlson of course.

But imagine how an OC would change his play calling if he knew, "we crossed the 40 and I have 60 yards to go.  I have 4 downs for conversion.  I have these weapons....".  This would change play calling I am sure.

Sorta like that high school coach who never punts. I think the concept is great. It'd be fun to open that idea up on Alabama. Can't game plan for that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beaker said:

I don't have a problem with going for it more than most coaches do, but if you have a really good defense, like I hope and think we will, it's not wrong to play field position.

14 hours ago, Beaker said:

.......Personally,  once we cross the 40 (on OUR side), I am good if we go for it on 4th down - EVERY TIME (if less than 5 yards).  That is a head coach decision of course.  If Lindsey knew that was the automatic call, and with our weapons, holy cow that changes A LOT.  

Spurrier tried that against us when he was at USCe. It made for some interesting play calls but he lost the game.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Spurrier tried that against us when he was at USCe. It made for some interesting play calls but he lost the game.

In his defense though, I think he loses by much more without having done that. That was a terrifying and frustrating game if I recall correctly.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

and others too of course...

several folks were positive that a good number of QBs that we did not sign, would be great...after they played a year. This forum is headquarters for Monday Morning quarterbacks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Was that the game where we successfully executed an onsides kick and ended up keeping the ball for pretty much the entire 3rd quarter?

7 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Was that the game where we successfully executed an onsides kick and ended up keeping the ball for pretty much the entire 3rd quarter?

Not pretty much, we kept the  ball the entire third quarter in which I think we only scored three points. Luckily, we were able to win the game.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

That was Tuberville in 2007 or 2008. Man, that dude could coach a football game. 

Spurrier attempted all the 4th down conversions against us in 2014. 5 for 6. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That was Tuberville in 2007 or 2008. Man, that dude could coach a football game. 

Spurrier attempted all the 4th down conversions against us in 2014. 5 for 6. 

:)  Unless we happened to be playing Arkansas.....always wondered if threw some those games to keep his friends happy ?  

Just now, AU64 said:

:)  Unless we happened to be playing Arkansas.....always wondered if threw some those games to keep his friends happy ?  

In that case, I hate his friends. They're boring and dumb and they always bring the worst food to the potlucks. And that one guy? The close talker with the bad breath? Don't even get me started. 

• Haha 4

So this Bo kid?

7 minutes ago, toddc said:

So this Bo kid?

Too early to tell.....but you are welcome to add to the speculation.... and in about 3 years we will know whether you are correct....:)  but either way, when the evidence is in ...you an claim to have known it all the time.....and who is likely to say different.

So ...will he beat out  Willis...or .Joey.....or Fields when the time comes?  

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Too early to tell.....but you are welcome to add to the speculation.... and in about 3 years we will know whether you are correct....:)  but either way, when the evidence is in ...you an claim to have known it all the time.....and who is likely to say different.

So ...will he beat out  Willis...or .Joey.....or Fields when the time comes?  

Just trying to get back on topic man!

24 minutes ago, toddc said:

Just trying to get back on topic man!

Understand...just suggesting that at this point there is not much to say.....and my last question  was serious ...if not well phrased.  ..sorry.  Would be nice to get him but not sure what it means for AU's football future..

On 8/17/2017 at 7:40 AM, AU64 said:

and others too of course...

several folks were positive that a good number of QBs that we did not sign, would be great...after they played a year. This forum is headquarters for Monday Morning quarterbacks.

Don't forget about the guys who were right that you would get mad at them bringing those guys up.....if you're going to make fun laugh at yourself too!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1