2019 5* QB Bo Nix Commits to AU!!!

bigsixfive

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Malik ain’t going down without a fight either.

Agree...age is against him I think but as noted, would not be surprised to see him do more than just some mop-up duty this year but that would be OK too....give JS a rest from time to time and give defenses some different things to worry about. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

In terms of the many mental aspects of the position, they might be noticably different. I say that with optimism.

Why do you say that?

17 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Why do you say that?

Not to talk Stidham down. Mainly to say that I think Nix can be a different type of dude and be just as good or better.

And I do mean *maybe*. I have no idea what these guys are made of. I have a better idea with Stidham but last year wasn't nearly enough to pass final judgment.

• Like 2

Is that the same camp that Sean White lit up ?

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Is that the same camp that Sean White lit up ?

It is. He was MVP. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, gr82be said:

It is. He was MVP. 

Thanks....thought so.   

Bo is one of the last two throwing during the 7v7 sessions. Wonder how he's doing. 

247 final rankings of the Elite 11 event quoted below. Not sure if the Elite 11 will post final rankings for the event. All that really matters though in this camp is if Bo gets picked among the final 12 to go to The Opening next month. Given he was #2 ranked by the Elite 11 before yesterday odds seem good he advances.

Elite 11 Finals: Weekend top performers

No. 3 Bo Nix, Pinson (Ala.) Pinson Valley. Committed to Auburn. Nix is one of the most college-ready quarterbacks in this group. He’s a smart, accurate quarterback who throws with touch and has better arm strength than given credit for. He made some strong throws into the wind Sunday that were very impressive and has an advanced feel for the position and reading a defense.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

247 final rankings of the Elite 11 event quoted below. Not sure if the Elite 11 will post final rankings for the event. All that really matters though in this camp is if Bo gets picked among the final 12 to go to The Opening next month. Given he was #2 ranked by the Elite 11 before yesterday odds seem good he advances.

The best part is where it says he’s the most college ready qb!

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

It's official.

https://247sports.com/Article/Elite-11-Quarterbacks-2018-crop-released-118767687

34 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Except for the Hawaiian fella, it's nice to see all of those guys committed to schools outside the SEC.

Also, this is what I've been trying to say (in other threads) about the way the QB position is headed, what I think we'll be successful with, what I think we have in Nix and what I hope we can keep recruiting: 

is the new-age quarterback that can extend plays with his legs, but is a crisp, accurate, productive passer through the air

(Said about a different QB)

I liked a few comments. Most college ready, accurate and stronger arm then expected as he made some tough throws into the wind.  It seems like he has been working on his arm strength.

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Except for the Hawaiian fella, it's nice to see all of those guys committed to schools outside the SEC.

Also, this is what I've been trying to say (in other threads) about the way the QB position is headed, what I think we'll be successful with, what I think we have in Nix and what I hope we can keep recruiting: 

(Said about a different QB)

With due respect is it really new age QB? There have been numerous mobile QBs in the pros over the years: Steve Young, John Elway, Aaron Rogers, Brett Favre, Warren Moon, Roger Staubach, Tony Romo, Russel Wilson, Fran Tarkenton, Archie Manning, & Joe Montana among others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With due respect is it really new age QB? There have been numerous mobile QBs in the pros over the years: Steve Young, John Elway, Aaron Rogers, Brett Favre, Warren Moon, Roger Staubach, Tony Romo, Russel Wilson, Fran Tarkenton, Archie Manning, & Joe Montana among others.

Been having this conversation a bit off and on- mostly out in the football forum- for awhile now, and you might be right. It feels, though, like there used to always be one or two Youngs or Elways at a time whereas now you have Rodgers, Brees, Wentz, Smith, Cousins, Carr, Stafford etc. all in the league at once. And that's not counting true dual-threat guys, in my opinion, like Cam, Wilson, Watson etc. 

Put another way, I'd argue that this list is, on average, more mobile than this one. Could be wrong.

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Put another way, I'd argue that this list is, on average, more mobile than this one. Could be wrong.

Top 10 & top 20 about the same IMO but I don't know much mobility wise about the noobs like Wentz & Goff. I wouldn't put Brees & Cousins in the group mentioned above. They aren't statues in the pocket but they aren't going to occassionally hurt you with their feet either like Rogers & Smith.

Sports

'I always knew I loved Auburn': QB commit Bo Nix talks football future

Updated 7:04 AM; Posted 7:03 AM

Gallery: Bo Nix - Pinson Valley football

1 share

By Josh Bean

jbean@al.com

Auburn quarterback commit Bo Nix has been anointed one of the nation's 12 best quarterback prospects, having advanced from the Elite 11 Finals over the weekend to The Opening.

Nix continued his run of success after leading Pinson Valley to the Class 6A state championship last season by throwing for for 2,872 yards and 35 touchdowns, all while playing for his father, Pinson Valley coach and former Auburn quarterback Patrick Nix. He was sacked only twice and threw four interceptions while missing four games with a leg injury.

2 Alabama HS QBs advance to The Opening

Bo Nix, an Auburn commit, and Taulia Tagovailoa, an Alabama commit, are two of the nation's 12 quarterback prospescts

Before Nix went to California for the three-day elite quarterback competition, he sat down with AL.com to talk about the summer ahead and his football future.

Here's excerpts from that conversation:

Q: You've been committed since January. How do you balance helping Auburn recruit and getting ready for your 2018 high school season?
"It's not that difficult. Every day, you're going to get on your phone and text somebody. The fact you can just do that now and I know I'm going to Auburn, and we've already got guys on board that are really good.

"When it's football time here, I let that go and focus up. After practice at night or on the weekends, I give a shout-out to them and let them know Auburn is the place to go."

Q: What's life been like since you committed? How, or did, it simplify your life?
"It did. It freed me up to relax. Nowadays, they put so much stress on recruits. ... Now that I'm fully committed, it's a weight lifted off my shoulders, I guess you could say, and I just focus on my game and my team and also helping Auburn recruit other guys. It's just really relaxing. It's honestly a fun experience."

Q: Did you seriously consider any schools besides Auburn?

"I did. I can honestly say I did. I visited other places to see if maybe I liked that place more. Growing up, I always knew I was an Auburn fan and always knew I loved Auburn, because when Auburn lost, it made me mad.

"Once the recruitment started, I realized I had a really big decision, and I knew the decision I made was going to determine the future. I visited other places. I enjoyed other places. I enjoyed other coaches, but when it came down to it, it seemed like everything was seriously meant for me to go to Auburn. I knew I always dreamed that and wanted that, but it really felt like it was meant to be."

Quarterback Bo Nix reveals his college football commitment

Q: You played high school baseball this spring, but that's probably your last time since you'll be an early enrollee at Auburn. Will you miss it?
"Maybe a little bit. To finally be able to focus on one sport and not have to split summer time with baseball or basketball and football, now I can focus on football and just that. That's kind of a relief. I'm looking forward to that part."

Q: I know this won't be a unique question, but you did miss time last year with a leg injury, so how's the leg?
"It's back to 100 percent. Every now and again, it gets tired or stiff on me, but it's really close to being where I don't even think about it."

Q: When came back, you were cautioned against running. That's a big part of your game. Any restrictions?
"I think it'll be more like 10th grade and early in my junior year when I can do both and do both really well. Coming back the last few games when I was really restricted and couldn't run, I really focused in on being that pocket passer we needed. I knew we had three great running backs, so running wasn't an issue. I really focused on making the throws I needed to make."

Q: What did you learn about yourself from the injury?
"I learned I have two good sides and if one's not there, I can do the other one fairly well. I also learned running around and moving around and how important that is to have. To be able to run and to throw, it's almost deadly if you can do them both at the same time and do it really well. Defenses can have a hard time covering the pass or covering the run and it can create a vacancy in their defense. When you find that, you can really expose them."

Q: How do you see your transition to the Auburn offense?

"Even with Jarrett Stidham, he's not the most athletic around, but every now and then he'll have a run, and it's like, 'Wow, where'd that come from?' It's a whole other element for a quarterback who can run and also make throws.

"Auburn is one of the best at letting their quarterback be a running and throwing quarterback to use their best abilities. And if they've got one like Nick Marshall or Cam (Newton), your offense is going to be really special."

Auburn walk-on arrested

Auburn walk-on wide receiver Pace Ozmint was arrested over the weekend

Q: How similar is your current offense to what you'll run at Auburn?
"It's very similar. Nowadays, with spread and so much RPOs, if you're in the spread you'll do a lot of the same stuff. It may be called differently, it may have a different way of running it, certain little details, but the whole concept is the same.

"Dad does a really good job of preparing me with a lot of different problems or issues I'll face on the next level, and he's all the time telling me, 'Now, this may have happened or this could happen.' His system and Auburn's system fit the same category, I guess you could say, in football.

Q: The concepts will be the same?
"Exactly. On the high school level, you may not really see different coverages or you may see just a few, but in college you'll see all kinds. So, he wants me know every single one and just be ready when that comes to know what to do with the ball and make the right decision."

Q: You've been through spring practice and now it moves to 7-on-7. What do you get out of summer 7-on-7?

"The relationship of receivers and quarterbacks, I think that's extremely important going through a season. Obviously, the relationship with the receivers and me was really good, and a lot of that came from summer 7-on-7. We got on the same page. I knew what kind of routes they ran. I knew their speed. I knew what kind of hands they had, and they knew me and knew where the ball was going to be.

"This year, with the new group, we've got different pieces to the puzzle, and summer is a good time to put it together. I can get to know them and their strengths and maybe their weakness, and they'll get to know my strengths and my weaknesses. Together, getting on the same page, that's was summer 7-on-7 really helps."

Q: You guys had the best season in school history last year. Winning a state title is extremely difficult, but staying on top can be even harder. How do you guys build on last year's accomplishments?
"The good thing about this team is we're hungry. A lot of guys didn't start or play last year. They had a few significant roles, but they weren't necessarily the guys on offense or defense, So, this year, we want to show we can improve and do the same things.

"I think it's good we don't have the same team. We have a lot of the same pieces and we're going to do a lot of the same things, but we're just going to be very hungry. We have to remember that every game, it's not going to be given to us and when other teams see Pinson on the schedule, they're definitely going to want to bring their 'A' game and want to beat us. We have to understand that, and our coaches are going to put us in the right spot and have us ready."

Gus Malzahn calls new rule 'a joke'

Gus Malzahn took his strongest stand regarding a rule change in four years

Q: What's something people would be surprised to know about Coach Gus Malzahn at Auburn?
"He's very down to Earth and he's a strong Christian man. He really lives it throughout his day. ... He really ministers to his players and coaches."

Q: Was that important to you?
"It was extremely important. If I could make a head coach for me and the kind of values he had, he has a lot of the same ones. He's going to be there through the whole time I'm going to be there.

"That security blanket, once he got that extension, I committed. I like him having his hand in my life and being that kind of role model for me."

Q: Are you thinking you'll be in the QB battle immediately when you enroll in January 2019?
"Absolutely. I think every early enrollee goes in there to battle for a spot. That's kind of why you enroll early. You want to get exposure to the offense, get exposure to the team. That's why you went there, you want to go out there and play.

"Like, Trevor Lawrence (at Clemson) and Justin Fields (at Georgia) this year, they both early-enrolled, and they're both in the talk to maybe have some playing time, maybe even start. I think definitely walking in I'm going to have to battle my tail off and just be ready and get the team behind me and grow relationships with the guys and the coaches and see what happens from there."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bo Nix enjoys Elite 11 experience, but isn't content

By all accounts, Bo Nix had a solid weekend at the Elite 11 Finals in California. Based off his performance, the Auburn commit from Pinson Valley (Ala.) was one of 12 quarterbacks that earned a trip to Dallas and The Opening Finals later this month. Additionally, he checked in at No. 3 on the 247Sports list of Top Performers from the event.

But Nix, a 4-star recruit, wasn’t completely satisfied. Happy to be there, yes. Glad to advance to The Opening, yes.

But blown away by his showing? No. According to Nix, he wasn’t his best. He called his effort “pretty good.”

In what areas could Nix have done better?

“Just being consistent and make every throw,” Nix said. “I think I believe in myself and I can make every throw. I’ve just got to focus and do it. Every now and again, I'll not focus or something and one of them will get away from me.”

Nonetheless, Nix enjoyed the experience. Reaching the Elite 11 finals was a longtime goal. He got there after winning quarterback MVP honors of The Opening Atlanta Regional camp, which came a few months after leading Pinson Valley to a state title. In 2017, despite missing several games with an injury, he completed 196 of 307 pass attempts for 2,872 yards and 36 passing touchdowns.

“I enjoyed being out here with the coaches and the guys and learning the new faces, and getting to know everybody and every quarterback in our class,” Nix said.

Because of the Elite 11, Nix missed Big Cat Weekend, Auburn's giant annual recruit event. But that’s certainly nothing about which Auburn fans should be concerned. He is dialed in with the Tigers and has recruited hard for them.

“Pretty much every other (college) has given up on me,” Nix said. "I think they understand I really like Auburn and that’s where I want to be. I just always felt at home there. I really felt like that was the place for me. And I had family ties there, obviously.”

Those ties include his father, former Auburn quarterback Patrick Nix. Nix’s mother also went to Auburn. Today, he older sister is an Auburn student.

Nix has been one of the more vocal members of the 2019 Auburn commit list when it comes to recruiting other prospects. Asked who his top targets were, he wouldn’t give up any names.

“So many four and five stars out there we need on offense and the defensive side of the ball,” Nix said. “We’re just going to continue to push and hopefully get a few of them.”

A December graduate, Nix will begin practicing with the Tigers next spring. His goals once he arrives on campus?

“Just get out there and learn the playbook for the most part and just learn the speed of the game and learn the feel of the college game,” Nix said.

-Interview conducted by Greg Biggins of 247Sports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Eek! I'm just so excited about his attitude - can't wait to watch him lead. 

Also love him texting recruits.

• Like 1

Rival Views: Who is the top QB in 2019?

Mike Farrell and Adam Gorney

Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell and National Recruiting Analyst Adam Gorney don’t always see eye to eye. In this edition of Rival Views, the two debate which 2019 quarterback is the best.

FARRELL’S VIEW: Bo Nix

It’s not a great year at quarterback in 2019 and I’m not sure if there is a five-star in the group, but we know there will be guys who outperform their ranking. Right now, for me, the top guy is Bo Nix because of all the things he can do on the field. He’s not only a very good pocket passer with accuracy and arm strength but he has solid size, he can extend the play and run when needed.

I give him the slight nod over Spencer Rattler because Nix has a bigger frame to fill out and, while he may not be as athletic overall, he’s a better pure passer. Dylan Morris and his big arm intrigues me as well as some others, but for now give me the Auburn commit Nix over the Oklahoma commit Rattler.

GORNEY’S VIEW: Spencer Rattler

This is a wide open year at quarterback and it might be the first time since the 2011 recruiting class where there are no five-stars among the group. That year,Braxton Miller (Ohio State) and Jeff Driskel (Florida) led the position rankings.

As we go through this rankings process and we consider the best quarterback in this class, I start leaning toward Oklahoma commit Spencer Rattler for numerous reasons. He recently measured in at 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds, so size is no longer a concern.

Rattler effortlessly throws the deep ball to his receivers in stride, he can make tough throws into tight windows where only his receivers can get them and he does an excellent job of dodging pressure in the pocket and finding an open player down the field.

In his junior season, Rattler played under center and in the shotgun, showed he can do everything on the field and looks like an absolutely perfect fit for the Sooners’ offense. With Rattler and coach Lincoln Riley running the offense in Norman, expect Oklahoma’s offense to keep humming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

On 6/3/2018 at 11:53 AM, WFE12 said:

Why do you say that?

Not trying to speak for Loof. But i hope Bo is more instinctive in moving the pocket, scrambling and knowing when to throw it to the cheerleaders. I don't think a qb can do much better than JS as far as throwing the ball. it's mixing in some backyard football that makes something out of nothing that i want to see 6-8 times a game. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Not trying to speak for Loof. But i hope Bo is more instinctive in moving the pocket, scrambling and knowing when to throw it to the cheerleaders. I don't think a qb can do much better than JS as far as throwing the ball. it's mixing in some backyard football that makes something out of nothing that i want to see 6-8 times a game. 

I should let you speak for me more often. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know, a part of me screams out that we just signed a stud QB in Gatewood and already have an overachiever in Willis, so the talk of Bo coming in and starting as a true freshman just seems silly. However, with all the raving about his football IQ and arm accuracy, I can't help but to wonder. I still lean toward Joey or Malik starting in 2019, with Nix redshirting, but I do think it will be very interesting to see the competition at QB in 2020. 

Of course, what I'd really love to see is Gatewood come in and set the world on fire after Stidham moves on, then go pro after 2020 and have Bo waiting in the wings as the heir apparent, but it's exceedingly nice to have all this talent at the most pivotal position.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Rednilla said:

You know, a part of me screams out that we just signed a stud QB in Gatewood and already have an overachiever in Willis, so the talk of Bo coming in and starting as a true freshman just seems silly. However, with all the raving about his football IQ and arm accuracy, I can't help but to wonder. I still lean toward Joey or Malik starting in 2019, with Nix redshirting, but I do think it will be very interesting to see the competition at QB in 2020. 

If Joey or Malik don't make strides in their appearances this year, watch out even in 2019. If nothing else Bo will push the hell out of them.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 4
  • Love 1