2019 5* QB Bo Nix Commits to AU!!!

bigsixfive

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

How much of his success is due to having a very good QB and not so much coaching? just asking.....:dunno:

It's a necessary, but not sufficient condition for winning the overwhelming majority of the time.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2018 at 5:45 PM, oracle79 said:

It's a necessary, but not sufficient condition for winning the overwhelming majority of the time.

It’s like NASCAR. I’m not going to win a race driving a Prius. However, I’m also not guaranteed a win because I have a slightly faster car. Still have to be capable of driving it. 

• 1 month later...

Yes, he had a pretty good night. I really like one of his WRs, #15, I think his name is Johnson. He doesn't have great size but has speed and excellent hands. 

• Like 1

Very pleased that he is an early enrollment player. He might not win the job but we have a solid support system around whoever wins the job next year.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel this won't happen because of the money involved but if this season continues the way many of us fear and Gus was fired  how would this affect Bo's recruitment, or would it have any bearing? Just something I was thinking about last night.

2 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I feel this won't happen because of the money involved but if this season continues the way many of us fear and Gus was fired  how would this affect Bo's recruitment, or would it have any bearing? Just something I was thinking about last night.

You ask a question that can't be answered at this time. If Gus doesn't return, who is the replacement? That would be the biggest factor.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 8:15 PM, milehighfan said:

Personally I can't see Bo not signing w/ AU regardless of circumstance.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:15 PM, milehighfan said:

Right now I think  almost all of our commits stick either way. We are not the only team to ever have a bad year and still get good recruits. I think  these guys can see that with some changes Auburn has the talent to be very good quick. Now what the changes are I don't know. It could be Gus but at a minimum I would say we get a new OC and a new O'line coach. If Gus goes I think we would get a name players would like ( at least enough to stay with us). If Gus stays I would assume we get a big name OC and line coach because Gus would know he has to make a splash or he will be out next year.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bg5 said:

If Gus stays I would assume we get a big name OC and line coach because Gus would know he has to make a splash

Based on his track record not sure that can be assumed although it would be the logical move. Gus has a tendency of bringing in what he already knows. Examples: Rhett & Chip at OC. JB, Herb, & back to JB on the OL.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Based on his track record not sure that can be assumed although it would be the logical move. Gus has a tendency of bringing in what he already knows. Examples: Rhett & Chip at OC. JB, Herb, & back to JB on the OL.

Horton, Kodi, Fountain was Chiz holdover and Gus actually brought him back *on* the field...

It's amazing that Porter was brought in, but I see that he did do a stint at Arky State from '99-'01. It's also probably no coincidence that he is one of the more accomplished guys on the offensive staff overall and particularly lately. 

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

If you were a top flight OC would you come to Auburn to work with Gus? :dunno:

5 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

If you were a top flight OC would you come to Auburn to work with Gus? :dunno:

Most top flight OCs already have destination jobs for OCs til they become HCs. That's why they are top flight OCs.

How Auburn QB commit Bo Nix hasn’t been sacked this season

Updated 4:02 PM; Posted 4:02 PM

Gallery: Bo Nix honored as Under Armour All-American

1 share

By Josh Bean | jbean@al.com

jbean@al.com

Auburn quarterback commit Bo Nix understands the importance of limiting negative plays.

For evidence, consider this single stat: Nix hasn't been sacked a single time this season. Not once.

It's a point of pride for Nix leads Pinson Valley in its chase for a second straight Class 6A championship.

"My offensive line knows exactly what to do, and they give me time back there in the pocket," Nix said today after receiving his honorary Under Armour All-American jersey at a ceremony in the school's auditorium. "If something does break down, I've got a receiver out there I can just throw it to and make it work. It's means a lot for us, not to get sacked and not turn the ball over. We take pride in that.

"Our O-line, they love it. They can say, 'Our quarterback hasn't been sacked all year.' For them to be able to say that and know I contributed to that, it's really neat."

Latest Power 25 rankings

The Power 25 is designed to rank Alabama's top 25 high school football teams, regardless of classification.

Patrick Nix -- also the son of a high school coach and Pinson Valley's head coach -- abhors sacks and interceptions and has trained his son to avoid them at all costs.

But even the elder Nix is impressed with Bo's ability to avoid sacks this season after he was dropped only three times in 2017.

"Obviously, you have to have a good protection," Patrick Nix said " Most of our schemes are designed to get the ball out pretty quick, and he does an amazing job of processing things very quickly and the ball coming out. And, then, he's had some Houdini moments where he's gotten out of situations that you think there's no way he's about to get out of this and he gets out of it."

Nix became the third Birmingham-area player to receive his Under Armour jersey this week, following Hewitt-Trussville’s Pierce Quick on Monday and Thompson’s Amari Kight on Tuesday. Hoover’s George Pickens -- a member of Auburn’s commitment list for the Class of 2019 -- received his last Friday.

Bo Nix plans to graduate from Pinson Valley in December and enroll at Auburn immediately, which would allow him to participate in on-campus bowl practices. He'll then travel to Orlando for the Under Armour All-America Game before starting classes at Auburn in January.

With Jarrett Stidham expected to head to the NFL after this season, Bo Nix said he hopes to be in the quarterback mix immediately.

"I think every quarterback wants to go there and play," Bo Nix said. "but I understand that if it's not my time, it's not my time. I trust the coaching staff and I trust myself that it's going to come. I may have to be patient, but if it comes early, I'll be ready. If it comes later, I'll still be ready for it."

First, though, he'll play in the Under Armour game, which he called "a dream come true." His grandfather, Conrad Nix, coached in the 2009 game and Bo is now scheduled to play in it a decade later.

Could Auburn flip OL Amari Kight?

The 6-foot-6 1/2, 315-pound Kight was honored today as an Under Armour All-American, the second Alabama commit so honored in the last two days

Nix's ball security helped him secure the Under Armour invite and could help in his quest for early playing time at Auburn. Sometimes, he said, that means understanding the power of throwing the ball away.

"You just don't take a sack and you just don't throw an interception," Patrick Nix said. "That's how it's been in our household forever. He's watched me watch games and yell at quarterbacks on the screen for taking a sack or throwing an interception … and me telling him, 'Hey, you don't do that.'

"Second-and-10 is so much easier than second-and-16 or 17. Understanding the value of a yard, I think, is very important."

Added Bo, "If something happens, just throw the ball away and live with the next play."

But can he keep up the zero-sack stat all season? “I’ve made it this long, so why not keep it going?” Bo said.

See latest ASWA football rankings

Etowah supplanted Vigor as the No. 1 team in Class 5A in the latest Alabama Sports Writers Association Top 10 polls

59 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

How Auburn QB commit Bo Nix hasn’t been sacked this season

Updated 4:02 PM; Posted 4:02 PM

Gallery: Bo Nix honored as Under Armour All-American

1 share

By Josh Bean | jbean@al.com

jbean@al.com

Auburn quarterback commit Bo Nix understands the importance of limiting negative plays.

For evidence, consider this single stat: Nix hasn't been sacked a single time this season. Not once.

It's a point of pride for Nix leads Pinson Valley in its chase for a second straight Class 6A championship.

"My offensive line knows exactly what to do, and they give me time back there in the pocket," Nix said today after receiving his honorary Under Armour All-American jersey at a ceremony in the school's auditorium. "If something does break down, I've got a receiver out there I can just throw it to and make it work. It's means a lot for us, not to get sacked and not turn the ball over. We take pride in that.

"Our O-line, they love it. They can say, 'Our quarterback hasn't been sacked all year.' For them to be able to say that and know I contributed to that, it's really neat."

Latest Power 25 rankings

The Power 25 is designed to rank Alabama's top 25 high school football teams, regardless of classification.

Patrick Nix -- also the son of a high school coach and Pinson Valley's head coach -- abhors sacks and interceptions and has trained his son to avoid them at all costs.

But even the elder Nix is impressed with Bo's ability to avoid sacks this season after he was dropped only three times in 2017.

"Obviously, you have to have a good protection," Patrick Nix said " Most of our schemes are designed to get the ball out pretty quick, and he does an amazing job of processing things very quickly and the ball coming out. And, then, he's had some Houdini moments where he's gotten out of situations that you think there's no way he's about to get out of this and he gets out of it."

Nix became the third Birmingham-area player to receive his Under Armour jersey this week, following Hewitt-Trussville’s Pierce Quick on Monday and Thompson’s Amari Kight on Tuesday. Hoover’s George Pickens -- a member of Auburn’s commitment list for the Class of 2019 -- received his last Friday.

Bo Nix plans to graduate from Pinson Valley in December and enroll at Auburn immediately, which would allow him to participate in on-campus bowl practices. He'll then travel to Orlando for the Under Armour All-America Game before starting classes at Auburn in January.

With Jarrett Stidham expected to head to the NFL after this season, Bo Nix said he hopes to be in the quarterback mix immediately.

"I think every quarterback wants to go there and play," Bo Nix said. "but I understand that if it's not my time, it's not my time. I trust the coaching staff and I trust myself that it's going to come. I may have to be patient, but if it comes early, I'll be ready. If it comes later, I'll still be ready for it."

First, though, he'll play in the Under Armour game, which he called "a dream come true." His grandfather, Conrad Nix, coached in the 2009 game and Bo is now scheduled to play in it a decade later.

Could Auburn flip OL Amari Kight?

The 6-foot-6 1/2, 315-pound Kight was honored today as an Under Armour All-American, the second Alabama commit so honored in the last two days

Nix's ball security helped him secure the Under Armour invite and could help in his quest for early playing time at Auburn. Sometimes, he said, that means understanding the power of throwing the ball away.

"You just don't take a sack and you just don't throw an interception," Patrick Nix said. "That's how it's been in our household forever. He's watched me watch games and yell at quarterbacks on the screen for taking a sack or throwing an interception … and me telling him, 'Hey, you don't do that.'

"Second-and-10 is so much easier than second-and-16 or 17. Understanding the value of a yard, I think, is very important."

Added Bo, "If something happens, just throw the ball away and live with the next play."

But can he keep up the zero-sack stat all season? “I’ve made it this long, so why not keep it going?” Bo said.

See latest ASWA football rankings

Etowah supplanted Vigor as the No. 1 team in Class 5A in the latest Alabama Sports Writers Association Top 10 polls

Can we please trade OL with them?! lol

• Like 6

I'm convinced now more than ever that we absolutely DO NOT need to be starting Bo Nix next year. The kid hasn't been sacked in an entire season and he will turn into Kiehl Frazier if we throw him to the wolves behind this OL as a true freshman. That's going to be one hell of a shock for him

Edited by Tiger
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Can we please trade OL with them?! lol

Can we please change Quarterbacks with them ? Added Bo, "If something happens, just throw the ball away and live with the next play."

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2017 at 9:20 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Hate to get off topic but my favorite Nix moment was in the swamp in 94. Man that was a fun game to be at. The UF people were not pleased. 

The '93 & '94  teams, particularly the Florida games & the LSU INT game are what converted me from the dark side a la Vader at the end of Return Of The Jedi.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 10:20 AM, Tiger said:

I'm convinced now more than ever that we absolutely DO NOT need to be starting Bo Nix next year. The kid hasn't been sacked in an entire season and he will turn into Kiehl Frazier if we throw him to the wolves behind this OL as a true freshman. That's going to be one hell of a shock for him

I agree

On 11/2/2018 at 6:01 AM, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

Pat Nix totally changed the momentum of the Updyke game in 93 , I like Stan White but if he finishes that game we lose.

Yep completely agreed. 

3 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Yep completely agreed. 

yep..i was there..and this is one of those times, when someone off the bench is the best remedy for a comeback win. Happens a lot in sports...and that was one of them. Nix did a great job of just throwing it to a spot so Sanders with his strength and leaping ability could go up and grab it.  Even after that, we were still behind, but continued to score 10 more points to win the game and keep their undefeated season in tact...