2019 5* QB Bo Nix Commits to AU!!!

bigsixfive

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Or a way to place blame elsewhere if things went poorly, JMO though. Things were looking realllllly rough right before our LSU game which coincidentally is when Lashlee was given the reigns.

Of course, what really happened that turned things around was a fortunate injury on the O-line. The rest may just have been window dressing. What I do know is that Gus was lobbying for job for Lashlee all the way back in 2014.

• Like 1

IIRC, Gus was "convinced" by the PTB to hand over playcalling duties. Two reasons: He wasn't getting it done, and Lashlee was gone at the end of the season anyway, so why not let him audition and let the offense sink or swim with him. Finding a new OC is way easier than finding a new HC. Lashlee kicked butt until Sean got hurt, and then he went to Gus and asked him to jump back in.  

The injuries that possibly/serendipitously revealed who our best center and RB were at play, but the playcaller and playcalling did change. And then, unfortunately, changed back. I told people they were crazy in 2015 for saying that Gus forgot how to call plays, but 2016 proved them right and me wrong.

Edit: The same PTB and rationale led to a new OC who will actually be running the offense. I *think* Chip was Gus's choice, but I'm not positive.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I *think* Chip was Gus's choice, but I'm not positive.

From everything I've read, Chip was Gus's choice for a long time even before the job was open.

• Like 3

Just now, lionheartkc said:

From everything I've read, Chip was Gus's choice for a long time even before the job was open.

As you guys were saying, the man has mostly surrounded himself with high caliber talent. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

IIRC, Gus was "convinced" by the PTB to hand over playcalling duties. Two reasons: He wasn't getting it done, and Lashlee was gone at the end of the season anyway, so why not let him audition and let the offense sink or swim with him. Finding a new OC is way easier than finding a new HC. Lashlee kicked butt until Sean got hurt, and then he went to Gus and asked him to jump back in.  

The injuries that possibly/serendipitously revealed who our best center and RB were at play, but the playcaller and playcalling did change. And then, unfortunately, changed back. I told people they were crazy in 2015 for saying that Gus forgot how to call plays, but 2016 proved them right and me wrong.

Edit: The same PTB and rationale led to a new OC who will actually be running the offense. I *think* Chip was Gus's choice, but I'm not positive.

The bold text is the first time I'm hearing that. Interesting. I was under the impression from the Vandy game and onward that Gus inserted himself back into the OC chair

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

The bold text is the first time I'm hearing that. Interesting. I was under the impression from the Vandy game and onward that Gus inserted himself back into the OC chair

Funny thing is, there's 10 different stories about what happened, and as far as I can tell, none of them are actually based on first hand information.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Funny thing is, there's 10 different stories about what happened, and as far as I can tell, none of them are actually based on first hand information.

For sure. One thing I'm confident that happened is that Gus did go back to calling plays during the Vandy game and to close out the year. Which was frustrating because we had a nice run of breaking tendencies, and, more importantly, WINNING, but then went right back to our same old same old, except we had a ton of injuries this time around making that bland version of our offense look even worse.

Edited by Tiger

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Honestly he seems more like Head Coach material than Gus but I said the same thing about Gus when Chizik was coach!!! WHY DO WE KEEP DOING THIS TO OURSELVES?! haha

Ha, the backup QB is always better...when he's the backup. :)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Tiger said:

How do we know Propst doesn't secretly have a college job that he's been coaching at for years?

That's fantastic...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Ha, the backup QB is always better...when he's the backup. :)

Blake Fields fans agree! haha

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

For sure. One thing I'm confident that happened is that Gus did go back to calling plays during the Vandy game and to close out the year. Which was frustrating because we had a nice run of breaking tendencies, and, more importantly, WINNING, but then went right back to our same old same old, except we had a ton of injuries this time around making that bland version of our offense look even worse.

I'm not certain of that at all.  I think the change in play calling had everything to do with the limited personnel. A huge chunk of what we were running during the winning streak required Sean to be on point. I always look at the second half of the Vandy game, we put Sean in and marched down the field like it was no big deal.

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm not certain of that at all.  I think the change in play calling had everything to do with the limited personnel. A huge chunk of what we were running during the winning streak required Sean to be on point. I always look at the second half of the Vandy game, we put Sean in and marched down the field like it was no big deal.

I'm going off of Gus' demeanor and sideline activity during Lashlee's time in control. He was noticeably distant and CRL was visibly running things. Vandy game and beyond it looked like Gus was back with the clipboard and directing things. That is how I remember it anyways. That coupled with us going back to our run it up the middle on every first down is what led me to my conclusion. JMO of course.

Our playcalling from Clemson through the TAMU games were pretty much what we saw in 2015 (minus 17 different ppl playing QB for us vs Clemson), then LSU game we looked completely different on O from a playcalling standpoint, then we reverted back to the 2015 style after Vandy game. Injuries played a part but as I said above Gus' activity and demeanor on the sidelines was not that of letting someone else running the O, as I saw it.

Edited by Tiger

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm going off of Gus' demeanor and sideline activity during Lashlee's time in control. He was noticeably distant and CRL was visibly running things. Vandy game and beyond it looked like Gus was back with the clipboard and directing things. That is how I remember it anyways. That coupled with us going back to our run it up the middle on every first down is what led me to my conclusion. JMO of course.

Our playcalling from Clemson through the TAMU games were pretty much what we saw in 2015 (minus 17 different ppl playing QB for us vs Clemson), then LSU game we looked completely different on O from a playcalling standpoint, then we reverted back to the 2015 style after Vandy game. Injuries played a part but as I said above Gus' activity and demeanor on the sidelines was not that of letting someone else running the O, as I saw it.

You could have something... or he could have just been losing his mind because his team was falling apart around him and there was literally nothing he could do.

There was definitely a change between A&M and LSU... in fact, there's an article somewhere that lists all of the differences in play calls between the first 3 games and the next 6. I just can't really say I believe that what a football coach says, and what is really happening, are remotely identical. I do believe that he gave over game calling duties to Lashlee. I don't know that I believe he gave him 100% free reign, and I don't know that I believe that he took back play calling duties once the players started dropping like flies.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You could have something... or he could have just been losing his mind because his team was falling apart around him and there was literally nothing he could do.

There was definitely a change between A&M and LSU... in fact, there's an article somewhere that lists all of the differences in play calls between the first 3 games and the next 6. I just can't really say I believe that what a football coach says, and what is really happening, are remotely identical. I do believe that he gave over game calling duties to Lashlee. I don't know that I believe he gave him 100% free reign, and I don't know that I believe that he took back play calling duties once the players started dropping like flies.

Hopefully Gus rattles off a ton of 10+ win seasons with a bunch of playoff appearances with some natty and SEC titles and then in his tell-all book about his career at AU he will divulge all the real details! :hellyeah:

22 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Two things. One, This is all true. Two, it highlights the problems with our football program the past few years: Inconsistent and chaotic. We can only hope this is the year we move past it all and begin a long run of consistently strong seasons. Can't wait for August. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I was surprised when I heard it, but I trusted the source. 

Regardless of how it all went down, we failed to get a single first down in the 2nd half against UGA and that's just one reason I'm glad we're getting a 2nd opinion. Gus failed last year in more ways than one. Injuries made us worse. They don't forgive what we actually became. 

The good news is that Gus has also been doing a lot of things very, very right, and he possibly could have found the last 2 missing pieces this past offseason. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Hopefully Gus rattles off a ton of 10+ win seasons with a bunch of playoff appearances with some natty and SEC titles and then in his tell-all book about his career at AU he will divulge all the real details! :hellyeah:

I have to admit, I've spent way to much of my life wondering what it would be like to get the real details about a lot of things.  I have this horrible feeling that the majority of people's realities would be totally shattered.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That happened in game 1 with a completely healthy squad. I'd argue that the yips started creeping in long before that, when he tried all summer to give White's job to Franklin. 

• Like 2

Just now, McLoofus said:

That happened in game 1 with a completely healthy squad. I'd argue that the yips started creeping in long before that, when he tried all summer to give White's job to Franklin. 

I would argue that he lost his mind in game 1 because he spent too much time doing what you said, trying to get Franklin ready to be "the man", and when he never became "the man" it left him scrambling for a game plan even before everything fell apart. If the national media cared enough about that game, it would probably go down as one of the greatest coaching blunders of all time.

I still wonder if the PTB didn't make it clear that they expected a dual threat QB to lead the team last year, and that drove his actions.  The only other thing that makes sense is that he has issue with Sean, which while it has been hinted at around here, nothing has been seen in public, even in player gossip, to indicate that.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Sooo this Bo Nix cat seems pretty good. It would be nice to discuss him.

I ran out of likes, but I have to point out that I like this!!!

Things look favorable with JF right now and in the 2019 class, barring a complete meltdown we will sign Bo. (And I think we will still be a leading contender to land him in the event of a meltdown)

This coupled with CCL as QB coach and OC, along with CAB hanging around the Offensive meeting rooms puts us in really good shape with our QB situation for a good while. 

If Chip was Gus's choice for a long time even before the job was open, then why didn't Gus hire Chip in 2013 instead of bringing Lashlee with him to Auburn from Arkansas State.

9 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If Chip was Gus's choice for a long time even before the job was open, then why didn't Gus hire Chip in 2013 instead of bringing Lashlee with him to Auburn from Arkansas State.

Coach Malzahn, A4E is holding on line 1...

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Chip had just finished 2 years as an off field coach at AU & only his 3rd at the college level. Rhett had finished his 5th year at the college level then. Right or wrong it's highly likely Gus may have felt Chip was not as ready as Rhett then for the OC job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

:-\    :ucrazy:

• Like 1