2019 5* QB Bo Nix Commits to AU!!!

bigsixfive

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I can't even imagine. As I'm sure I've said too many times already, just spending most of my 30s in Atlanta made me hate them enough. 

So crazy how even the smallest brushes with celebrity can really influence your opinion on someone. I've always kind of pictured those guys being exactly how you describe so it's good to hear that confirmed. 

I always hated taking girlfriends around dudes with guitars.

smart move

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Nix has a very high football IQ for his age.  His ability to process information is what separates him from the pack.  Pat has clearly showed him how to use the film room to his advantage.  If he continues to develop in this area we will have a 4 year starter.  Gatewood could get there but his high schooling has put him at a disadvantage missing so many reps.  Malik is a wild card as well.  Both are behind when it comes to reading defenses and decision making.  Some of that is made up for by their playmaking ability.

The look on Bo's face and his demeanor in the videos is so impressive to me.  He doesn't just belong but he owns the place.

The video I've seen of Gatewood (granted, just some HS video) he really reminds me of JJ.  Lots of talent but almost tentative in his mannerisms.  ...just my opinion.

I agree Malik is the wild card.  He'll have 2+ years in the system and HOPEFULLY some real, in-game experience after this season, so I just feel it'll be down to him & Bo and what type Offense the PTB (Gus/Chip) wants to run in 2019.

Edited by AUsince72

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I know Mills and Buck, at least, still just randomly show up places in Atlanta and Athens all the time. 

Pffft. Lead singers and their feeeeelings.  ;D

I went to HS with Peter Buck and his little brother Ken. I was in Ken's grade. We hung out at their house some times. Peter was a cool guy in HS. He was super smart. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I went to HS with Peter Buck and his little brother Ken. I was in Ken's grade. We hung out at their house some times. Peter was a cool guy in HS. He was super smart. 

Dang. How many of y'all hung out with REM!?!?! Very very cool. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dang. How many of y'all hung out with REM!?!?! Very very cool. 

Yea. My only other HS claim to fame was beating Duluth HS my senior year when George Rodgers was their RB. We won 19-18. I tackled George; he was a load. True story, his older brother Napoleon was an even better player in HS, but he had problems with the law and was in and out of jail. Sorry for the side track.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The #RivalsChallenge Stock Report: Quarterbacks

Stock Up

Nix is currently the second-highest rated quarterback in the Rivals100 so there isn’t a ton of room for him to move up without earning his fifth star but his MVP award and 7v7 tournament championship trophy are clear indicators of how successful he was on Thursday. The Auburn commit’s footwork was crisp, quick and decisive, and the ball really jumps off his hand. Nix’s accuracy improved as the day went on but the most impressive thing was how he commanded his offense during the 7v7 tournament. He was calling plays for his team later in the tournament, even when it wasn’t his turn to lead the drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Farrell Awards: Time to hand out hardware for #RivalsChallenge

SPIN IT – Bo Nix

This award goes to the quarterback who threw the best ball throughout the event - or “spun it” the best. Bo Nix, the Auburn commitment, had more zip on the ball than the other quarterbacks and threw a very catchable ball all day long. He was the best quarterback throughout the event, hands down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

The seven players who earned MVP status at #RivalsChallenge

QUARTERBACK: Bo Nix

The highest-ranked of the quarterbacks coming into the event, Nix emerged as the position MVP in what was one of the deepest group of passers we have had at the event in recent years. Nix started off impressing with his footwork and mastery of the finer points of the position, then spun a consistently good football throughout the day. His arm strength is on the plus side for sure, but maybe most impressive was the intangibles he brought to the field. By day’s end he was calling his own plays in 7-on-7 and ultimately led his team to the title.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

The seven players who earned MVP status at #RivalsChallenge

QUARTERBACK: Bo Nix

The highest-ranked of the quarterbacks coming into the event, Nix emerged as the position MVP in what was one of the deepest group of passers we have had at the event in recent years. Nix started off impressing with his footwork and mastery of the finer points of the position, then spun a consistently good football throughout the day. His arm strength is on the plus side for sure, but maybe most impressive was the intangibles he brought to the field. By day’s end he was calling his own plays in 7-on-7 and ultimately led his team to the title.

I might be wrong (I usually am), but I thought the recruiting guys were saying that there were no big time QBs in this class? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WaynesAUworld said:

I might be wrong (I usually am), but I thought the recruiting guys were saying that there were no big time QBs in this class? 

I thought about that, but I noticed that the author said passers and not quarterbacks. May or may not be intentional. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MCPeePants said:

So that's the Rivals Challenge, the one from last week?  Any write-ups from The Opening yet?

Not yet. When it does it will be in The Opening thread.

23 minutes ago, WaynesAUworld said:

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I thought about that, but I noticed that the author said passers and not quarterbacks. May or may not be intentional. 

tenor.gif?itemid=8169080

• Haha 1

Something interesting I just found from last week.

A glimpse behind the scenes at the #RivalsChallenge

Woody Wommack

Nix and Bailey override coach 

Coaching 7-on-7 is much different than coaching a traditional football game, and former NFL MVP Priest Holmes found that out after his team went 1-2 during pool play action on Thursday. Rather than panic, the team’s quarterbacks, Auburn commit Bo Nix and 2020 Rivals100 prospect Harrison Bailey, put their heads together and told Holmes they should take over the offensive play-calling.

Nix spent the spring playing for Cam Newton’s 7-on-7 team, while Bailey has been a fixture on Atlanta-area team Hustle Inc. since he was in the eighth grade. The two clearly picked up plenty of tricks along the way, and while sharing co-offensive coordinator duties, they led their team to an undefeated record and the event’s championship.

The showing was just part of an all-around excellent day for Nix, who won the quarterback competition, the quarterback MVP award and the team championship.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Auburn commit Bo Nix now ranked as top-100 national prospect

By Josh Bean

Pinson Valley quarterback and Auburn commit Bo Nix just keeps moves up the national recruiting rankings.

Nix won the the Quarterback Skills Challenge at the Rivals 5-Star Challenge in Atlanta in late June and led his 7on7 team to a runner-up finish at The Opening 2018 recruiting showcase in Frisco, Texas in early July.

This week, 247sports released its updated national recruiting rankings, and Nix was one of the biggest risers -- going from No. 177 to No. 98. He's now considered the nation's top-ranked dual-threat quarterback and No. 2 overall quarterback, according to 247sports.

By contrast, Alabama commit and Thompson quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa moved down in 247sports' updated national rankings, falling to No. 202 nationally.

The son of former Auburn quarterback and current Pinson Valley head coach Patrick Nix, Bo Nix's rise in the recruiting rankings is a continuation of his stellar junior season.

In 2017, Nix completed 196-of-307 passes for 2,872 yards, 35 touchdowns and just four interceptions in 2017, leading Pinson Valley to a 15-0 record and its first Class 6A state championship last season despite missing several games with a leg injury. He was also named Class 6A first-team All-State and earned AL.com's All-Birmingham Player of the Yea r award.

He told AL.com earlier this summer that he used the injury as a learning experience.

"I learned I have two good sides and if one's not there, I can do the other one fairly well," he said. "I also learned running around and moving around and how important that is to have. To be able to run and to throw, it's almost deadly if you can do them both at the same time and do it really well. Defenses can have a hard time covering the pass or covering the run and it can create a vacancy in their defense. When you find that, you can really expose them."

At The Opening, 247sports analysts tracked every throw by Nix and found he completed 113-of-157 passes for 21 touchdowns and five interceptions. He hooked up with Hoover receiver and fellow Auburn commit George Pickens for nine touchdowns.

Nix and Pinson Valley open the 2018 season against two-time defending Class 7A champ Hoover, which will be televised by ESPN.

Edited by ellitor
Added link & took non article parts out

Isn't BN the highest rated QB ever to commit to AU at least with current ratings system. I think I saw that Bo's composite was a good bit higher than Cam's and Stidham's and slighter better than Frazier's.  Of course it's hard to compare with QB's from a different generation.

15 minutes ago, autan said:

Isn't BN the highest rated QB ever to commit to AU at least with current ratings system. I think I saw that Bo's composite was a good bit higher than Cam's and Stidham's and slighter better than Frazier's.  Of course it's hard to compare with QB's from a different generation.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jarrett-Stidham-30678/high-school-50029 Stiddy was a 5 star on 247 and the 38th ranked player overall in the composite. Bo is at 45 right now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, autan said:

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Jarrett-Stidham-30678/high-school-50029 Stiddy was a 5 star on 247 and the 38th ranked player overall in the composite. Bo is at 45 right now.

With due respect both are incorrect...

The correct answer is.... Jason Campbell

Also this Stidham rating has to be used instead of his HS rating since it's when he committed to AU.

Like E,  I was using JC transfer rating for Stidham since that was his rating when he committed and signed with AU.  However I had forgotten about Jason.  Once again E  was correct.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't followed this whole thread or Bo's career in depth. But i heard today that he has a younger brother who might be just as good. Not sure his grade/age. Also heard (grain of salt warning) Patrick will finish this season at Pinson then be HC at Florence High next year.

10 hours ago, alexava said:

i heard today that he has a younger brother who might be just as good. Not sure his grade/age.

8th grade & too soon to say that.

10 hours ago, alexava said:

Patrick will finish this season at Pinson then be HC at Florence High next year.

I've heard his name for a few 7A jobs for next year. They are all in Central Alabama though. That's the 1st time I've heard Florence.

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

8th grade & too soon to say that.

I've heard his name for a few 7A jobs for next year. They are all in Central Alabama though. That's the 1st time I've heard Florence.

So when Bo signs in 2018 it won’t be until 2020 till Gus can hire Pat as a analyst or position coach (like special teams nothing big)?