2019 5* QB Bo Nix Commits to AU!!!

bigsixfive

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, lionheartkc said:

Yea, those numbers make a lot more sense... that's about 64% and 15 YPC.

Of the games I saw him play, those numbers should be higher. There were quite a few drops by his receivers that were right on the numbers.

3 minutes ago, autkidd2823 said:

Of the games I saw him play, those numbers should be higher. There were quite a few drops by his receivers that were right on the numbers.

Welcome to playing QB... sometimes your receivers are your best friends and sometimes... well... they drop the ball.

9 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

How secure do we feel with Picken's commitment?  If I was remembering correctly we got on him early but there was talk at the time that he would be hard to hold on to if Bama came calling

I feel that he wants his ego stroked a bit from LSU and UGA but on Twitter and at camps he seems to really love playing with Nix. He also said in an interview that he's trying to balance the fact that he still loves AU and we're #1 but also wants to check other schools. I feel better about it than I felt a few months ago I'll say that.

• Like 1

Watch Bo Nix throw ... and get his thoughts on a range of topics

BUFORD, Ga., — Bo Nix has one eye on the present and one eye on the future.

While he’s ready and anxious to be an Auburn Tiger, the 4-star Auburn quarterback commit from Pinson Valley (Ala.), still has some goals he’d like to accomplish at the high school level.

One of them was to reach the Elite 11 finals. That’s a prestigious quarterback competition held every summer. The list of past participants is a who’s who of well-known signal callers.

On Sunday, Nix competed in The Opening Atlanta Regional camp. Not only did he win MVP honors among the quarterbacks, but he got his coveted invitation to the Elite 11 finals.

After the camp, Nix was all smiles as he talked with Auburn Undercover about a variety of topics.

What type of bond he has developed with Auburn offensive coordinator/quarterback coach Chip Lindsey …

“Huge. Me and Coach Lindsey talk all the time and he’s always asking me how I’m doing, telling me to give him a call about this or that. Our relationship is very good and I’m just ready to be with him full time.”

Do Nix and Lindsey have similar personalties?

“We do. Very competitive. Very smart. Know the game very well. I think we both are similar when it comes to football and similar when it comes to people.”

How active is Nix recruiting for Auburn?

“Pretty active when I go to camps like this. I make sure I see the top guys and make sure I build relationship with them.”

What is the general buzz out there about Auburn recruiting?

“Very positive. They’re going after a lot of top guys, especially in my class. But the young guys are going after are solid, too. I think overall Auburn is doing very well in recruiting.”

Auburn needs offensive linemen — who is the main guy he’s recruiting?

“Obviously (5-star center) Clay Webb (of Oxford, Ala.) because he’s the top and because I think he’s just a really good player. Obviously, there’s a few more but Clay is one of the ones that comes to mind that I’ve been around to talk to.”

Does he communicate much with Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham?

“Sometimes. He’s a very cool guy. I think he’s a lot like me. Very outgoing. Very personable. And he knows how to play the position. Like anybody, we all have to get better and I think he knows what it takes to get better — and I think he’s to do it.”

• Thanks 1

Special connection forming between Auburn commits, 7-on-7 teammates Bo Nix, George Pickens

image.png

Auburn commits Bo Nix and George Pickens have shined on the same 7-on-7 team.
Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country

Auburn’s only two commitments have polar opposite narratives around their recruitments right now.

Quarterback commit Bo Nix, an Auburn legacy, has been committed to the Tigers since January. He’s not going anywhere. Several programs didn’t actively recruit Nix to begin because they knew he’d land at Auburn. Other schools won’t try to flip Nix from Auburn after his pledge. Nix’s name is all but inked with the Tigers.

Wide receiver commit George Pickens has committed to Auburn last July, but he’s starting to gain more recruiting interest than ever. He’s open to taking visits to other places, as evidenced by the two trips to Georgia so far. Multiple SEC foes will work to flip the rising star at wide receiver.

Nix has a different perspective on his fellow commit. The two have grown close through their Auburn commitments and the spring 7-on-7 circuit.

“Like I say, I’m lucky he was committed before I was, so I didn’t have to recruit him very hard,” Nix said. “He’s a talented receiver, one of the best I’ve ever seen, and I’m glad he’s on board with me.”

Much will be made the next few months when Pickens takes visits elsewhere.

His stock will rise rapidly after strong 7-on-7 season and standout Atlanta Opening regional performance. With that rankings bump, there will be growing interest from college. Pickens will likely take more visits to places such as Georgia, LSU and Florida, but he’s adamant his commitment remains “very firm” — as firm as ever, he said.

Pickens is particularly fond of Nix. It’s been his quarterback for the Cam Newton 7-on-7 team they play for together.

The way Pickens talks about that relationship further increases the likelihood of a Nix-to-Pickens future at Auburn.

“We play on the same 7-on-7 team, so every other weekend, I see him. We’re really getting closer. We’re basically on the same team. The chemistry is really going to be there when we get to Auburn,” Pickens said. “We’re really good friends. We really have a good connection when he’s throwing it and I’m catching it. We have great timing and chemistry, and it’s only going to get better from here.”

Last weekend, Pickens and Nix spent virtually the entire weekend together. The tandem combined for a 7-on-7 tournament championship on Saturday. They turned around 24 hours later with standout Atlanta Opening performances. Nix won quarterback MVP. Pickens made more head-turning plays than any other receiver in attendance.

Pickens loves the connection he has with Nix. Now he wants to grow the 2019 class. It’s a conversation the two have regularly.

“We always talk about trying to get the guys we hang with the most, like [Georgia wide receiver commit] Jadon [Haselwood], people on our 7-on-7 team or people in our state to come to Auburn,” Pickens said. “That’s really what we’re talking about, just trying to get more people to come in.”

It’s only a matter of time before the rest of the class picks up some steam.

“Huge momentum coming. With us really being the top players in the state at our positions, it’s important,” Nix said. “I’m glad George is already on board. We have to both keep our eyes out for guys we want and hope they want to join us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There is no way to come close to estimating just how valuable having a high profile guy like Nix recruiting for us and to have he and Pickens both on board and burning up the camp circuit is like catching lightning in a bottle. I would be shocked if we don't have a very good class when it's all said and done. 

• Like 2

Football board talent evaluators UNITE!!!

Can we compare and contrast Nix vis a vis White’s QB skills? They seem very similar as White was methodically fluid but Nix seems to have better long ball accuracy. 

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Football board talent evaluators UNITE!!!

Can we compare and contrast Nix vis a vis White’s QB skills? They seem very similar as White was methodically fluid but Nix seems to have better long ball accuracy. 

It's hard for me to evaluate Nix since I do my evaluating watching them play in games (not to say that I do it accurately, or that is the best method). That being said, from what I've read about him, it sounds like he's further along at reading defenses, as a senior, than Sean was as a sophomore in college. The word on the street also supports your assessment of his long ball (as do a couple of videos from his 7-on-7 team).

Of course, the tale of the tape will be when Nix is under center across from an SEC defense. 

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/25/2018 at 9:36 PM, DAG said:

This kid really is the #1 DT-QB in the nation? I am not going to get too giddy have the same prognosis for JS. Like I said, I hope he has been watching some Baker Mayfield film.

See below. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by mikeholiday
GIF not being embedded properly.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

See below. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

He won't run like that in college. He is like JS. He's a pocket QB with mobility. He will not be a true dual threat in college.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He won't run like that in college. He is like JS. He's a pocket QB with mobility. He will not be a true dual threat in college.

I was about to say , doesn’t look like many SEC defenders out there against him. Not hating.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Either those other teams are unusually slow or he's not like Stidham. Agreed that he's not a Lamar Jackson, but he's got burst like no QB 1 we've had since Marshall, and it looks like he's got a few moves in traffic as well.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Either those other teams are unusually slow or he's not like Stidham. Agreed that he's not a Lamar Jackson, but he's got burst like no QB 1 we've had since Marshall, and it looks like he's got a few moves in traffic as well.

Against better D's he doesn't run much. He stays in the pocket & scrambles when he needs too. Also unless he adds quite a bit to his frame I don't see us running many QB options with him. Also JS had very similar running film out of HS FWIW.

Edited by ellitor

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Against better D's he doesn't run much. He stays in the pocket & scrambles when he needs too. Also unless he adds quite a bit to his frame I don't see us running many QB options with him. Also JS had very similar running film out of HS FWIW.

Bo may not run much in college... after all, his arm can do the work, so why risk it more often than to keep defenses honest. That being said, here's a Stidham highlight video from high school... you can argue some traffic presence, but nothing in it says "speed".

Based on Bo's video, he's at least a threat to break one if they don't keep him corralled. Stidham, not so much.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Bo may not run much in college... after all, his arm can do the work, so why risk it more often than to keep defenses honest. That being said, here's a Stidham highlight video from high school... you can argue some traffic presence, but nothing in it says "speed".

Based on Bo's video, he's at least a threat to break one if they don't keep him corralled. Stidham, not so much.

Oh no @lionheartkc!!!!  Are you telling me our savior at QB didn't start as a QB in high school.  OMG!!  Say it ain't so!  Well here come the "No wonder he sucks.  He couldn't even start for his high school team." guys.

Just kidding btw!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Bo's 40 times at camp doesn't suggest much if any more speed than JS FWIW. Also of the 3 recruiting sites only 1 list Bo as a dual QB. The other 2 have him as a pocket passer. And these are the highlights I was referring too...

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

Oh no @lionheartkc!!!!  Are you telling me our savior at QB didn't start as a QB in high school.  OMG!!  Say it ain't so!  Well here come the "No wonder he sucks.  He couldn't even start for his high school team." guys.

Just kidding btw!!

On the upside, now we know if we move him out to wide receiver in the Wildcat formation that he's got experience.

Edited by lionheartkc
  • Haha 1

Stidham had lot of running yds in HS and some teams were very good, but Bo changes gears and has a quick step.  They're running style isn't similar at all.    As someone said above, Bo sees the field and reads it (it appears).  No, neither played against a HS team with a bunch of future SEC defenders, but who does? 

Bo's potential seems unreal.   I am guessing we haven't had freshman QB come in this 'ready' since Jason Campbell? 

Or Tyler Queen.....(just kidding, step away from the weapon, step away now):Sing:

• Like 2

Auburn fans can recite the names in their sleep.

Justin Fields. Brenton Cox. Trey Hill. Kearis Jackson. Adam Anderson. Quay Walker. Luke Ford. Channing Tindall.

There are more.

Ryland Goede. Dominick Blaylock. Jadon Haselwood.

Those 11 names are the prospects in the 2018 and 2019 classes who Auburn desperately wanted, but landed with Georgia. In many cases, the Tigers finished as the No. 2 school, an extra yank of the knife.

The ghosts of commitments past have haunted Auburn fans for a few months. They will no doubt remain until Auburn can win another recruiting battle against its border-state rival.

Attention has turned to 5-star linebacker Owen Pappoe and his commitment date, May 5.

For many Auburn fans, they’re going through similar emotions as @_RCB3. They want to show excitement about the upcoming decision for Pappoe, but they remember how they felt on double-digit occasions in the last year as Georgia pulled of recruiting wins no one would’ve expected to see. There have been enough disappointments in the last 12 months for Auburn fans to be hesitant about a May commitment.

I get it.

And I wish I could tell you reasons A, B and C why Pappoe will be different. But the reality is: Georgia has been doing something special the last two years of recruiting. That isn’t going to change anytime soon and Pappoe has been a central figure for Kirby Smart and Co. for a long time.

But I do think Auburn should enter the final week of this recruitment with cautious optimism.

Plenty of buzz has been made about his recent three-day trip to the Plains. An equal amount of interest was generated from his mid-week visit to Athens, Ga., last week. In truth, both situations were probably blown out of proportion. At this point, Pappoe has a comprehension of both programs. Any visit he makes won’t sway his decision one way or another.

In fact, talking with one source after the Georgia visit, Auburn remained just as confident in its chances as before Pappoe went to Athens.

This is close. There’s no doubt about it. The fact the Tigers have made this interesting is a win given where this was two months ago (I know most Auburn fans won’t view it that way).

But a week from now, I stand by my belief Pappoe chooses Auburn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Auburn fans can recite the names in their sleep.

Justin Fields. Brenton Cox. Trey Hill. Kearis Jackson. Adam Anderson. Quay Walker. Luke Ford. Channing Tindall.

There are more.

Ryland Goede. Dominick Blaylock. Jadon Haselwood.

Those 11 names are the prospects in the 2018 and 2019 classes who Auburn desperately wanted, but landed with Georgia. In many cases, the Tigers finished as the No. 2 school, an extra yank of the knife.

The ghosts of commitments past have haunted Auburn fans for a few months. They will no doubt remain until Auburn can win another recruiting battle against its border-state rival.

Attention has turned to 5-star linebacker Owen Pappoe and his commitment date, May 5.

For many Auburn fans, they’re going through similar emotions as @_RCB3. They want to show excitement about the upcoming decision for Pappoe, but they remember how they felt on double-digit occasions in the last year as Georgia pulled of recruiting wins no one would’ve expected to see. There have been enough disappointments in the last 12 months for Auburn fans to be hesitant about a May commitment.

I get it.

And I wish I could tell you reasons A, B and C why Pappoe will be different. But the reality is: Georgia has been doing something special the last two years of recruiting. That isn’t going to change anytime soon and Pappoe has been a central figure for Kirby Smart and Co. for a long time.

But I do think Auburn should enter the final week of this recruitment with cautious optimism.

Plenty of buzz has been made about his recent three-day trip to the Plains. An equal amount of interest was generated from his mid-week visit to Athens, Ga., last week. In truth, both situations were probably blown out of proportion. At this point, Pappoe has a comprehension of both programs. Any visit he makes won’t sway his decision one way or another.

In fact, talking with one source after the Georgia visit, Auburn remained just as confident in its chances as before Pappoe went to Athens.

This is close. There’s no doubt about it. The fact the Tigers have made this interesting is a win given where this was two months ago (I know most Auburn fans won’t view it that way).

But a week from now, I stand by my belief Pappoe chooses Auburn.

7079CD29-6B56-4311-8910-A8E42B78FA5E.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, fredst said:

7079CD29-6B56-4311-8910-A8E42B78FA5E.gif

totally freaking amazing mr fred!!!!!! lol LOVE it.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

totally freaking amazing mr fred!!!!!! lol LOVE it.

Who knew that listening to The Smiths while I was at Auburn would pay off 30+ years later on an Auburn message board, lol?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, fredst said:

Who knew that listening to The Smiths while I was at Auburn would pay off 30+ years later on an Auburn message board, lol?

The Smiths wow good call