2019 5* QB Bo Nix Commits to AU!!!

bigsixfive

Auburn commit Bo Nix wins QB award at recruiting event

Updated Jun 28, 5:49 PM; Posted Jun 28, 5:40 PM

Gallery: Bo Nix - Pinson Valley football

11 shares

By Josh Bean

jbean@al.com

Auburn quarterback commit and Pinson Valley senior Bo Nix continues to impress at national-level recruiting events.

Nix, who committed to Auburn in January, won the Quarterback Skills Challenge at the Rivals 5-Star Challenge today in Atlanta at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

Nix previously competed at the Elite 11 Finals in California earlier this month and advanced to The Opening Finals, which begin Saturday in Frisco, Texas. He is one of only 12 quarterbacks nationally invited to The Opening. Alabama quarterback commit and Thompson senior Taulia Tagovailoa, is also scheduled to compete at The Opening.

Nix completed 196-of-307 passes for 2,872 yards, 35 touchdowns and just four interceptions in 2017, leading Pinson Valley to a 15-0 record and its first Class 6A state championship last season despite missing several games with a leg injury. He was also named Class 6A first-team All-State and earned AL.com's All-Birmingham Player of the Year award.

Currently a four-star prospect, the 6-foot-2, 194-pound Nix is one of the nation's top dual-threat quarterback prospects in the Class of 2019. Winning today's Quarterback Skills Challenge could lead to him getting a fifth star and moving up in national recruiting rankings.

Who were Bama's best HS athletes in 2017-18?

The list features boys and girls representing public and private programs, metro and rural schools and every grade.

Quarterback Bo Nix reveals his college football commitment

Auburn signee wins national HS track award

Four-star Auburn wide receiver signee Anthony Schwartz was honored Thursday by Gatorade

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

DC was a very much anticipated player coming in.

Also, I don't remember how much pub he had coming in but Stan White was a 4 year starter throwing for over 2200 yds his freshman year.....in a Pat Dye offense.

I don't recall nationally about White but he was a big time get for Auburn locally being from Berry HS which is now Hoover. He had a great freshman year for sure and it's a good thing because I believe we would have had Frank McIntosh as QB if Stan wasn't ready. Serviceable backup but not the starter Auburn needed. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

What was the word on D Craig coming out of high school? Because for me he is our second best QB ever.

The biggest compliment I saw about D. Craig was "He's the best player in this part of the state" (Mobile area). That was to address the many in the press that didn't think much of AU signing Craig. There was some thought of him playing DB at AU. While he did develop, it's well to remember that Craig was a 4th year junior before he won the starting QB job.

While Craig was a good one, I wouldn't put him at "2nd best". The two Heisman winners, Stan White, and to go way back, Jimmy Sidle were better QB's than Craig. To me Craig fits in there with Reggie Slack and Jeff Burger. Very good but not great. 

Now, Craig was exciting to watch and if you want to claim him as your favorite I can see that. However, favorite and best are not the same thing. While Craig was the QB, our best play was the "oh crap" play when everything broke down and Craig started free styling. Fun, but it had its drawbacks.

• Like 5

Ahhh, the famous “oh crap” play is one of my personal favorites. Yes as stated it has its drawbacks, but “50% of the time, it works works all the time”! And when it does, man is it fun to watch. The great thing about the “oh crap” play is it changes by QB, offense style and generation, so it never goes out of style.

Edited by AlaskanFAN
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

The biggest compliment I saw about D. Craig was "He's the best player in this part of the state" (Mobile area). That was to address the many in the press that didn't think much of AU signing Craig. There was some thought of him playing DB at AU. While he did develop, it's well to remember that Craig was a 4th year junior before he won the starting QB job.

While Craig was a good one, I wouldn't put him at "2nd best". The two Heisman winners, Stan White, and to go way back, Jimmy Sidle were better QB's than Craig. To me Craig fits in there with Reggie Slack and Jeff Burger. Very good but not great. 

Now, Craig was exciting to watch and if you want to claim him as your favorite I can see that. However, favorite and best are not the same thing. While Craig was the QB, our best play was the "oh crap" play when everything broke down and Craig started free styling. Fun, but it had its drawbacks.

I am 28 about to be 29 and he was The first QB I can vividly remember watching for AU and falling in love with our Tigers so he will def always hold a special place in my life for that. I obviously never saw Sidle and Pat Sullivan live. So my rankings will be a little different than yours since I can only rank people I saw. But wasn't Sidle primarily a runner? Didn't he set records that stood a long time for running the ball for a QB? Craig Willing that 97 team (which was pretty mediocre. he masked a lot of weaknesses.) to the SEC Champ game and honestly should of beat the heave favorites UT is one of the most impressive things I have witnessed on the field for AU.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

DC was a very much anticipated player coming in.

Also, I don't remember how much pub he had coming in but Stan White was a 4 year starter throwing for over 2200 yds his freshman year.....in a Pat Dye offense.

Stan White seems to be one QB who gets the most overlooked when you are talking about best AU qbs ever as well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Stan White seems to be one QB who gets the most overlooked when you are talking about best AU qbs ever as well.

Agree 100%

He had the misfortune of being the QB during the Ramsey investigation, which destroyed Pat Dye's final 2 seasons at Auburn and they just were really not focused so the team suffered.

However, '93 was such sweet redemption for many players, including Stan.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am 28 about to be 29 and he was The first QB I can vividly remember watching for AU and falling in love with our Tigers so he will def always hold a special place in my life for that. I obviously never saw Sidle and Pat Sullivan live. So my rankings will be a little different than yours since I can only rank people I saw. But wasn't Sidle primarily a runner? Didn't he set records that stood a long time for running the ball for a QB? Craig Willing that 97 team (which was pretty mediocre. he masked a lot of weaknesses.) to the SEC Champ game and honestly should of beat the heave favorites UT is one of the most impressive things I have witnessed on the field for AU.

DC almost single handedly willed that team to the SECCG and kept Tot employed until his poor recruiting caught up to him the next year

• Like 3
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, fredst said:

DC almost single handedly willed that team to the SECCG and kept Tot employed until his poor recruiting caught up to him the next year

Man we fell off a dang cliff. It was so sudden. Even 2012 you could see it coming in a way with the way we got throttled in key sec games. Going from 10 wins in 97 to THAT in 98 was just oh so bad.

30 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Agree 100%

He had the misfortune of being the QB during the Ramsey investigation, which destroyed Pat Dye's final 2 seasons at Auburn and they just were really not focused so the team suffered.

However, '93 was such sweet redemption for many players, including Stan.

Well said 72! That is a great point you make about the ramsey debacle. I did not even think to factor that in to the equation. When you hear Stan on the radio every saturday in the fall you forgot how good he was on the field for us and take him for granted because he was not as FLASHY, fun and exciting as a D craig or a Nick Marshall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well said 72! That is a great point you make about the ramsey debacle. I did not even think to factor that in to the equation. When you hear Stan on the radio every saturday in the fall you forgot how good he was on the field for us and take him for granted because he was not as FLASHY, fun and exciting as a D craig or a Nick Marshall.

If you get a chance, look up some '90 games when he was a freshman.  I think YouTube has some...

'93 was '93....just glorious.  But you really get a sense of what a cool cat he was in '90....plus considering he was a freshman.

If not for ramseygate, oh what could have been...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

If you get a chance, look up some '90 games when he was a freshman.  I think YouTube has some...

'93 was '93....just glorious.  But you really get a sense of what a cool cat he was in '90....plus considering he was a freshman.

If not for ramseygate, oh what could have been...

Thanks for the pro tip 72!!! I absolutely am going to do that. You are en fuego with your posts lately fam!!! I really appreciate it. War Damn and have a great 4th!

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Thanks for the pro tip 72!!! I absolutely am going to do that. You are en fuego with your posts lately fam!!! I really appreciate it. War Damn and have a great 4th!

Watch the UT game from his freshman year. Ended in a tie I believe but you could see that talent he had...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

Watch the UT game from his freshman year. Ended in a tie I believe but you could see that talent he had...

I have a feeling the thread we are in will soon have the next true freshmen Auburn QB who became a starter and had a good frosh season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Best tie I ever saw.  Almost felt like a W.

Dude had ice water in his veins.

That game and the FSU game were classics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Wow your that old 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Wow your that old 

I know! You feel bamboozled. Obviously I come across like a seasoned, gritty and MATURE (lol yah right! I am allergic to maturity) middle aged man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I know! You feel bamboozled. Obviously I come across like a seasoned, gritty and MATURE (lol yah right! I am allergic to maturity) middle aged man.

Obviously :poke:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Obviously :poke:

?

obv.gif

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Craig and Bo Jackson would have gone off the charts in this offense

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

He has yet to even play his Sr year...   Ease up ya'll.  

Nope...GOAT status.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Mikey said:

Dameyune compares more favorably to Cam Newton than he does to Slack or Burger. He had one HUGE year at Auburn in which he carried the team on his shoulders to within a point of beating Peyton Manning's Tennessee team that was absolutely stacked with talent. Didn't Craig set a record for passing yards that season, too?