2019 5* QB Bo Nix Commits to AU!!!

bigsixfive

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

Do you want to see Kheil Frazier 2.0? Starting Nix next season letting him take his licks next season with this OL has a higher chance for disaster than success.

I agree. I hope Bo gets the chance learn the ropes. When his turn comes I hope we have an OL that can block. 

Watching the highlight where he set the record it was 1-2-3 gone. I'm also glad dear, old dad is there to continue to work with him.

:tdau:

• Like 1

As far as Joey goes I wouldn't mind seeing him moved to RB. I know some on this board have mentioned TE.  Why move him to TE, hell, we don't utilize them anyway. His size and speed he could turn out to be something.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

As far as Joey goes I wouldn't mind seeing him moved to RB. I know some on this board have mentioned TE.  Why move him to TE, hell, we don't utilize them anyway. His size and speed he could turn out to be something.

This . Maybe he can find his niche somewhere. Big kid with speed . He needs to earn a shot on special teams . Knocking the hell out of people 

46 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Why move him to TE

Because he was a WR when he wasn't at QB so he has the athletic ability to do it & do it very well. Would have been the top rated TE in his class if that was his position per a number of recruiting analysts. He's comparable to CJU as an athlete whom we put at TE. Yes he was under utilized but still utilized more than they are now in the O. Also Joey has the height & mass to be lit up quite a bit at RB.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Because he was a WR when he wasn't at QB so he has the athletic ability to do it & do it very well. Would have been the top rated TE in his class if that was his position per a number of recruiting analysts. He's comparable to CJU as an athlete whom we put at TE. Yes he was under utilized but still utilized more than they are now in the O. Also Joey has the height & mass to be lit up quite a bit at RB.

He could be scary at TE if HF is implementing and calling. An absolute match up nightmare at would open a lot of windows for the QB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He could be scary at TE if HF is implementing and calling. An absolute match up nightmare at would open a lot of windows for the QB.

Sal Canella and Joey Gatewood- two athletic freaks with giant catch radii- and we can't figure out how to make either of them work. SMDH.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sal Canella and Joey Gatewood- two athletic freaks with giant catch radii- and we can't figure out how to make either of them work. SMDH.

Well Sal is & has been a WR nearly since the time he arrived at AU.

• Like 1

Just now, ellitor said:

Well Sal is & has been a WR nearly since the time he arrived at AU.

Yes, friend, I'm well aware. But that's not really relevant to my comment. 

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

With respect, we are discussing TEs & TE usage at the moment. Your catch radius point is right but there's no way from knowing in the way your post was stated you weren't lumping Sal in as a TE FWIW.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With respect, we are discussing TEs & TE usage at the moment. Your catch radius point is right but there's no way from knowing in the way your post was stated you weren't lumping Sal in as a TE FWIW.

Y'all said TE, not me :)  Nah, I hear you. 

I hope that we regularly employ a greater variety of pass catchers in the future and that Bo Nix gets to throw to all of them. 

• Like 1

Got to see some of Bo's highlights. So glad he's 100% our guy. His stats weren't great in that last game but he threw some pretty passes and looks like he'll definitely be a strong leader when he takes over at AU.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:01 PM, ellitor said:

Agree with everything but I think Joey is quite a bit more athletic than CJ. 

People that are comparing Nix and Frazier - they are not even close!  Nix is the best HS QB we have signed in decades. Jason Campbell was probably better in HS but it is close. Everything we do in the future will revolve around Nix. He is the future. 

I do feel like he needs a few games like trever Lawrence to get warmed up. 

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

People that are comparing Nix and Frazier - they are not even close!  Nix is the best HS QB we have signed in decades. Jason Campbell was probably better in HS but it is close. Everything we do in the future will revolve around Nix. He is the future. 

I do feel like he needs a few games like trever Lawrence to get warmed up. 

Love Bo. But Trevor Lawrence is a prodigy. He will be the potential first overall pick in the NFL Draft in a few years. I do not see that for BO. Bo is going to be a really good QB for us when we get Gus out of here though. I hope we hire a coach that can make him special which he absolutely has the tools to be.

Edited by GwillMac6

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Love Bo. But Trevor Lawrence is a prodigy. He will be the potential first overall pick in the NFL Draft in a few years. I do not see that for BO. Bo is going to be a really good QB for us when we get Gus out of here though. I hope we hire a coach that can make him special which he absolutely has the tools to be.

Yeah I don’t think he is as good as Lawrence but he will need games to warm up like him. I would not throw him out there against Oregon on national tv the first game. 

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I could see Bo being on that Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron level. Which would be freaking amazing if he, like those guys, has the coaching and the talent around him. 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I could see Bo being on that Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron level. Which would be freaking amazing if he, like those guys, has the coaching and the talent around him. 

works for us!! Hope it ends up like that!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:10 AM, McLoofus said:

And Sal has had problems catching  the ball. 

Have no idea if JG has good hands but he would be far better after the catch than Sal....    Just saying that it's not a good comparison and when Davis is gone, the passing game will have to evolve to something else JMO

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And Sal has had problems catching  the ball. 

Have no idea if JG has good hands but he would be far better after the catch than Sal....    Just saying that it's not a good comparison and when Davis is gone, the passing game will have to evolve to something else JMO

Sal was quite good catching the ball this season. And after the catch doesn't matter in a Gus offense unless you're running screens because Gus doesn't use crossing routes, which is one reason that neither you nor I actually know much about what Sal or Joey can do after the catch. The other reason is that after the catch doesn't matter until you actually throw the receiver the ball.

As for the comparison, all I said is that they're both big, athletic guys with large catch radii. Do you disagree with that? If you do, then we can continue discussing whether or not it was a good comparison.

As for the passing game needing to evolve after Davis is gone, that's the entire problem with Gus and his woefully inadequate passing concepts. They needed to evolve several seasons ago. And that's my entire point. We have a HELL of a lot more talent at WR than Ryan Davis (and Seth Williams) and we refuse to figure out how to use it. Which is why our coach is anything but an offensive genius and which is why he will either cede full control of the offense to a guy who is actually capable or he will not be employed at Auburn a year from now. It's a damned shame that one or the other didn't already happen.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

. We have a HELL of a lot more talent at WR than Ryan Davis (and Seth Williams) and we refuse to figure out how to use it.

Davis was the only one who was assured to catch the ball which is why he got the passes....plus his ability to get YAC...and most of those passes were just a version of a running game where the RBs could not get going.  

Otherwise, receiver reliability has been an issue for a couple years plus JS seemed to lose his accuracy beyond about 15 yards or so this year.   Was it bama..or Georgia when JS hit our WRs in the hands with three or four straight passes and all were dropped....and from that point the O just wilted.    A couple of timely catches of well thrown passes by Slayton and Davis for example, could have changed the outcome of a couple games.   

Well.....all that is now behind us....chance to "evolve and a reminder that those short bubble screens have not always been the Gus style. 

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Davis was the only one who was assured to catch the ball which is why he got the passes....plus his ability to get YAC...and most of those passes were just a version of a running game where the RBs could not get going.  

Otherwise, receiver reliability has been an issue for a couple years plus JS seemed to lose his accuracy beyond about 15 yards or so this year.   Was it bama..or Georgia when JS hit our WRs in the hands with three or four straight passes and all were dropped....and from that point the O just wilted.    A couple of timely catches of well thrown passes by Slayton and Davis for example, could have changed the outcome of a couple games.   

Well.....all that is now behind us....chance to "evolve and a reminder that those short bubble screens have not always been the Gus style. 

If catching was the problem and Davis was the answer, why didn't we try lining him up elsewhere on occasion? 

Also, Gus has been trying to run those screens this whole time. Davis is the first freak who could beat guys 1 on 1 on a regular basis. Anyone could catch those passes.

And Auburn fans have always complained that our guys can't catch despite lights out recruiting at the position for 6 years. We're easily more talented at the position than almost anyone in the country and we have been for a few years now. But Ryan Davis is the only guy who can catch? 

5 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Why recruit all these talented receivers, when you don't have an offensive system to best utilize their enormous potential? Also, you need a coach who understands running routes and how a receiver can get separation. 

How many times do you see an Auburn receiver running away from the defender, getting open in space? 

Image result for preaching to the choir gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Bo....let's say we don't get KB.

Is he an early enrollee?

If so, what is the realistic possibility he starts game 2 and 3 to see what he's got vs college football players?  \

if I were 'king for a season' that would be my plan.   Start Cord vs Oregon and give game 2 to Bo.......if we are in the ditch, pivot at halftime.   

How realistic is this?  The kid doesn't take sacks and appears to have the the football knowledge down.   I think it is a great idea.  And if you have that plan now, it drives  so many things in Spring ball.  

8 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Bo....let's say we don't get KB.

Is he an early enrollee?

If so, what is the realistic possibility he starts game 2 and 3 to see what he's got vs college football players?  \

if I were 'king for a season' that would be my plan.   Start Cord vs Oregon and give game 2 to Bo.......if we are in the ditch, pivot at halftime.   

How realistic is this?  The kid doesn't take sacks and appears to have the the football knowledge down.   I think it is a great idea.  And if you have that plan now, it drives  so many things in Spring ball.  

If you have 2 QBs, you actually have none. Need to have a starter ready by game 1