Kentucky county clerk jailed on contempt charges until she agrees to issue same-sex marriage licenses

AUDub

The tension in Rowan County reached fever pitch last week, as protesters, presidential candidates and news crews from across the county descended on the small town of Morehead. To ratchet it up further, members of the Oath Keepers, a heavily armed civilian militia, announced they would travel to Kentucky to protect Davis and ensure she "will not be illegally detained again." Any such protection could put the Oath Keepers in conflict with the U.S. Marshals, who were ordered to detain Davis after she defied a federal court order.

So the Sovereign Citizen loons have joined the party. This will go over well. :rolleyes:

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, they know it isn't going to fly. As several, legal scholars in the article stated, "at best, it is a Hail Mary"....IMO, it has less than zero chance of being anything but denied. Damn near without comment, after telling her, from this day forward your office issues the licenses.

There's a reason Matt Staver is often referred to as the dumbest lawyer in America not named Larry Klayman.

He is a special kind of special.....In an interview with WND( I know, makes me laugh out loud too) a woman from some marriage, "defense"....group, stated, we needed to have heterosexual only cities.......Seriously....."they will be safer".

He is a special kind of special.....In an interview with WND( I know, makes me laugh out loud too) a woman from some marriage, "defense"....group, stated, we needed to have heterosexual only cities.......Seriously....."they will be safer".

Bizarre.

All too willing to allow for her personal exemption. Even though, I don't share her belief or her understanding of the law. Frankly, that was more than she is willing to do for others and people who believe differently. They've found the rail and jumped off it, now.

Wait, what ? Holy scnikies, I've been ignoring this story all week, and it's gone into this strange territory ? Maybe if we just made them gays identify themselves, you know, perhaps if if they wore some sort of pink symbol on their clothes, we'd know who they are. They could wear a button, or perhaps sew a patch onto their sleeves ?

An article (nothing more than opinion for the insane), for the World Nut Daily, not an interview...Took a moment to find it......other than to laugh at, it wasn't worth the effort of linking in the first place, in the interest of supporting what I posted, here is a link, Found it as a secondary, related link from Think Progress.

http://www.huffingto...4b077ca094eccf4

Actually, I give up. I thought I understood what she was asking for, based on Volokh's breakdown. But they've set fire to all that and have gone crazy.

Titan, i really wonder if they dont have some long term planned goal out there. This is not going away soon. She is not an Andy Warhol-er. She is here for the duration, whatever that means.

I wouldnt be shocked to see her with a makeover and a PR Team hired soon.

• 4 years later...
On 9/7/2015 at 4:06 PM, TitanTiger said:

No, they aren't even really that. Here are some articles that explain why, one of which is from someone who fully supports gay marriage.

http://www.slate.com..._different.html

http://www.thepublic.../2015/07/15350/

http://blogs.telegra...acial-marriage/

And yes, the abortion issue is analogous. Reasonable accommodations can be made for people who have moral objections to participating in an event such as this. And the same would apply if someone had a moral objection to officiating over a polyamorous marriage should that be permitted (I give it less than 10 years before it will be). There are myriad other clergy or judges that would be more than happy to fulfill the request (something that differs this stance from that of Kim Davis, who was preventing anyone in her office from handling the requests). There's no reason to railroad a person's religious convictions when such an accommodation exists, unless your real objective is simply to muzzle any dissent and drive orthodox Christians, Jews and Muslims from the public square.

Not even five years later and the first shot across the bow is here:

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/massachusetts-city-recognizes-polyamorous-civil-partnerships-38000

I guess that’s better than a single parent home? Weird though. You are supposed to keep the relationship with persons other than your spouse, hidden from your spouse. 

23 minutes ago, alexava said:

I guess that’s better than a single parent home? Weird though. You are supposed to keep the relationship with persons other than your spouse, hidden from your spouse. 

I'll never get a harem 

*kicks rock*

23 hours ago, alexava said:

There’s a lot more polyamorous couples out there than people realize. 

32 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

There’s a lot more polyamorous couples out there than people realize. 

Are you embedded?

44 minutes ago, alexava said:

Are you embedded?

My wife and I aren’t Vanilla....we own a small stake in one of the Lifestyle (aka swinger) clubs in Houston and own part of a Lifestyle website. I wouldn’t call us polyamorous as much as just open. Or as I have seen... “ethically non-monogamous” Lol 

However, we see it all. There’s a ton of people out there. We probably have at least 15,000 plus members on our site just in Houston alone. 

So I guess that means I’m embedded. lol 

2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

My wife and I aren’t Vanilla....we own a small stake in one of the Lifestyle (aka swinger) clubs in Houston and own part of a Lifestyle website. I wouldn’t call us polyamorous as much as just open. Or as I have seen... “ethically non-monogamous” Lol 

However, we see it all. There’s a ton of people out there. We probably have at least 15,000 plus members on our site just in Houston alone. 

To each his own....I gotta say I can’t support a legalized union of more than two people. 

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

To each his own....I gotta say I can’t support a legalized union of more than two people. 

That’s technically not what it is, but I know what you mean. It’s not for everyone and people tend to “get it” or they don’t. We’ve met some really cool people. You’d be surprised how many people lead a “double” life and have vanilla and non vanilla friends because of the stigma that is attached to it. 

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

That’s technically not what it is, but I know what you mean. It’s not for everyone and people tend to “get it” or they don’t. We’ve met some really cool people. You’d be surprised how many people lead a “double” life and have vanilla and non vanilla friends because of the stigma that is attached to it. 

I understand and I don’t. 

On 9/12/2015 at 6:54 AM, DKW 86 said:

Titan, i really wonder if they dont have some long term planned goal out there. This is not going away soon. She is not an Andy Warhol-er. She is here for the duration, whatever that means.

I wouldnt be shocked to see her with a makeover and a PR Team hired soon.

I was wrong, no PR Team, No Support at all really. Uber-Righty Bevin even turned his back on her. 
https://www.npr.org/2018/11/06/664902786/kim-davis-loses-her-re-election-bid-for-kentucky-county-clerkship

And then this: Gov Bevin, turned responsibility for the $224,000 in legal fees to Kim Davis alone.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/23/kim-davis-same-sex-marriage-suit-court-rules-kentucky-must-pay-fees/2101785001/

"By affirming the sizeable fee award, the Court also sent a strong message to other government officials in Kentucky that it is not only unconstitutional to use public office to impose one’s personal religious views on others, but that it also can be a very expensive mistake," William E. Sharp, an attorney for the ACLU of Kentucky, said in a statement.

Last thought: Davis was a Democrat until 2018 Election when she ran and lost as a Republican.

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Last thought: Davis was a Democrat until 2018 Election when she ran and lost as a Republican.

Changed parties in 15. 

I wouldn't ascribe too much to it. I mean it's a county clerk position. 

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

Changed parties in 15. 

I wouldn't ascribe too much to it. I mean it's a county clerk position. 

She and her mother were the county clerks there for possibly 26 straight years. 

Archived