Kentucky county clerk jailed on contempt charges until she agrees to issue same-sex marriage licenses

AUDub

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Davis has been divorced three times and married four times, including twice to the same man — who adopted her twins born out of wedlock as the result of an extramarital affair.

The scofflaw clerk challenged critics of her “sordid past” to seek forgiveness for their own sins and become a Christian like she did four years ago.

This woman spent her entire life making a mockery of the word and institution of marriage. And NOW, when it is very convenient for her to object and be found a zealot, she is now happy to defend "Marriage." I am sorry, i just dont buy it. In the Kim Kardashian 15 minutes of Fame/Infamy World we live in, i just find her objections too "convenient." Maybe, just maybe she needs to mature in Christ where she can 1) quit judging others 2) give out the grace and forgiveness she is supposed to have, but is not acting like, she found. She has ZERO Legal Case.

I apologize to others watching this. Christians are supposed to be able to show compassion and love for all of the folks, not just the ones we like.

Let's check that a second though. The woman only became a Christian 4 years ago. All of her divorces were prior to that. It's hard to hold her accountable not adhering to a belief system that she didn't believe at the time.

That said, if it were me and I had deputies that would handle the licenses I objected to signing or providing, I'd simply let them do it.

As I said, she needs to mature.

This claim that the clerk is making a mockery of her stance because she herself has been divorced 3 x, which some say is proof that she's a hypocrite.

Not sure how that's relevant, just because some want to personally attack her for her views, because of what they see her doing to them, but if she's truly a believer in her religious views, then she'd be the first to admit that she is , as are all of us, a fallen child of God™. But this isn't about her. And while she may acknowledge she falls short of living her life right, does that mean she should stand by and allow others to freely disobey ( in her view ) the laws of God ? And more than allowing, she feels that she's contributing in their decision.

I wonder if no clerk had given HER a license to marry on the same grounds, of having disobeyed God's law, what she would have done.

Maybe go to a different county, and not make such a fuss ?

Wow, lots of vitrol in here aimed at someone who holds a belief that until recently was just about everyone's view ...

Are you referring to the belief that lawful orders of a judge/court of law are to be obeyed, or the belief that one should do the job for which one is paid? Those two beliefs have indeed been the beliefs of just about everyone for most of our history and still are today.

For those asking why she cannot be or has not been fired:

Question: Why hasn’t Kim Davis been fired for refusing to issue marriage licenses and defying court orders?

Answer: She is an elected official and can only be removed from office for impeachment.

Q: How would she be impeached?

A: The Kentucky House of Representatives would have to charge her with an impeachable offense and the Senate would then try her.

Q: Is that likely?

A: The Kentucky Equality Federation, a gay rights group, has called for Gov. Steve Beshear to call a special session of the General Assembly to pursue impeachment. But Beshear, citing costs, has already declined to convene a special session to consider emergency legislation that would accommodate Davis and other clerks by having state government issue marriage licenses. Also, Bluegrass Polls show most Kentucky voters oppose gay marriage and support accommodating Davis. Beshear declined to comment Tuesday.

http://www.usatoday....-case/71567812/

Many have defended her previous marital infidelity and divorces with the revelation that she converted to Christianity only 4 years ago, which to me begs the question: why is THIS the one tenet of Christianity she's decided must be defended above all else?

I don't think any of us has enough information to assert that it IS the one tenet she's decided must be defended above all else. What other tenets would we know of that would bring such a public conflict for someone in her position? This just happens to be the one that has come before her.

Attacking an argument of a person by calling out her contradictory past behavior is not only fallacious, it is cheap.

This claim that the clerk is making a mockery of her stance because she herself has been divorced 3 x, which some say is proof that she's a hypocrite.

Not sure how that's relevant, just because some want to personally attack her for her views, because of what they see her doing to them, but if she's truly a believer in her religious views, then she'd be the first to admit that she is , as are all of us, a fallen child of God™. But this isn't about her. And while she may acknowledge she falls short of living her life right, does that mean she should stand by and allow others to freely disobey ( in her view ) the laws of God ? And more than allowing, she feels that she's contributing in their decision.

I wonder if no clerk had given HER a license to marry on the same grounds, of having disobeyed God's law, what she would have done.

That is the point. What if some other crazy nut case had denied her her right to divorce and remarry to her heart's content? She would be on the other side of all this. If you are in a governmental position, you need to enforce the laws you pledged to uphold. If she doesnt like the laws, she is totally free to change things at the ballot box: get elected herself or change by referendum. We cannot have a million clerks in a thousand counties deciding what laws to uphold based on an ever changing set of believes. We just cant. At some point sanity has to prevail.

Many have defended her previous marital infidelity and divorces with the revelation that she converted to Christianity only 4 years ago, which to me begs the question: why is THIS the one tenet of Christianity she's decided must be defended above all else?

I don't think any of us has enough information to assert that it IS the one tenet she's decided must be defended above all else. What other tenets would we know of that would bring such a public conflict for someone in her position? This just happens to be the one that has come before her.

How about issuing licenses to people that were not divorced as per scripture?

I was in a church once where, since i was divorced, there were staff member that would not speak to me. They would not acknowledge a question nor even a hello from someone that was divorced. Divorce was unscriptural and unholy and therefore, in their eyes, it was soiling the church to have to deal with divorced people regardless of salvation/forgiveness/or even if the grounds were scriptural.

If you support this, then you better get ready for all kinds of insanity because there are 1000 different interpretation of scripture and randomly placing yours above the law is just going to end bad in a very short while. Do you support sharia law? Should a duly elected muslim be okay with not wanting to deal with a pork eating Chrsitian? Howabout a male Muslim clerk dealing with an unaccompanied woman? Should a devout Jew have to deal with a schicksa that she finds is too scantily clad in her miniskirt? What about a devout vegan objecting to inspecting a meat packing plant? A devout Pro-lifer giving selling a business license or health license to PP or another organization? Etc...

If you allow KD to over step the law, then stand back as the rest of the nutcases start inflicting their believes on the rest of us too.

Dkw - just to play devils advocate, we do have a president who decides which laws he wants to ignore and which laws he wants to execute. How is this any different?

How about issuing licenses to people that were not divorced as per scripture?

Would that be something that's apparent to her? Especially if the divorce was many years ago and in another state?

I was in a church once where, since i was divorced, there were staff member that would not speak to me. They would not acknowledge a question nor even a hello from someone that was divorced. Divorce was unscriptural and unholy and therefore, in their eyes, it was soiling the church to have to deal with divorced people regardless of salvation/forgiveness/or even if the grounds were scriptural.

If you support this, then you better get ready for all kinds of insanity because there are 1000 different interpretation of scripture and randomly placing yours above the law is just going to end bad in a very short while. Do you support sharia law? Should a duly elected muslim be okay with not wanting to deal with a pork eating Chrsitian? Howabout a male Muslim clerk dealing with an unaccompanied woman? Should a devout Jew have to deal with a schicksa that she finds is too scantily clad in her miniskirt? What about a devout vegan objecting to inspecting a meat packing plant? A devout Pro-lifer giving selling a business license or health license to PP or another organization? Etc...

If you allow KD to over step the law, then stand back as the rest of the nutcases start inflicting their believes on the rest of us too.

You're mistaking what I'm saying. I already said that I would have had someone else on staff handle those licenses if it were a problem for me to personally issue them. I'm just saying that holding her divorces over her head as some indicator that she's a hypocrite or doesn't practice what she preaches isn't fair given the specifics of her particular situation. Why would she honor the Christian beliefs and understanding of marriage when she wasn't a Christian? When she was getting divorced left and right, she wasn't failing to live up to some professed belief. She didn't believe at that time.

Titan, I wasn't even addressing you. Just the discussion at large. If you allow her to be able to pick and choose which laws to enforce...this is going to end in chaos. She is an elected official. No one is abridging her right of speech or assembly or even to go run for a legislative office or even be elected governor of Kentucky. She can form an advocacy group etc. She has options. She is choosing the loser's path tho. She has no legal footing to stand on. She will lose this legal case. She will hand her enemies a quick and easy victory. If you want it fight this, than get a legal team together, find a better case, and fight. Her case is a loser.

Titan, I wasn't even addressing you. Just the discussion at large. I you allow her to be able to pick and choose which laws to enforce...this is going to end in chaos. She is an elected official. No one is a bridging her right of speech or assembly or even to go run for a legislative office or even be elected governor of Kentucky. She can form and advocacy group etc. She has options. She is choosing the loser's path tho. She has no legal footing to stand on. She will lose this legal case. She will hand her enemies a quick and easy victory. If you want it fight this, than get a legal team together, find a better case, and fight. Her case is a loser.

i'm with you dkw. When you say there are 1000 interpretations of scripture you are correct. Maybe why i can't take the bible to heart so much. Do we need it when we all just decide what is right or wrong anyway. As far as titan defending her on the basis of committing all her divorces before her being saved, shouldn't that make her tend to be MORE understanding of those who have yet to find what she found?

Titan, I wasn't even addressing you. Just the discussion at large. I you allow her to be able to pick and choose which laws to enforce...this is going to end in chaos. She is an elected official. No one is a bridging her right of speech or assembly or even to go run for a legislative office or even be elected governor of Kentucky. She can form and advocacy group etc. She has options. She is choosing the loser's path tho. She has no legal footing to stand on. She will lose this legal case. She will hand her enemies a quick and easy victory. If you want it fight this, than get a legal team together, find a better case, and fight. Her case is a loser.

i'm with you dkw. When you say there are 1000 interpretations of scripture you are correct. Maybe why i can't take the bible to heart so much. Do we need it when we all just decide what is right or wrong anyway. As far as titan defending her on the basis of committing all her divorces before her being saved, shouldn't that make her tend to be MORE understanding of those who have yet to find what she found?

I would tend to think that way as well.

Knowing I am as screwed up as anyone has taught me grace for others, not unrelenting judgment.

Titan, I wasn't even addressing you. Just the discussion at large. If you allow her to be able to pick and choose which laws to enforce...this is going to end in chaos. She is an elected official. No one is abridging her right of speech or assembly or even to go run for a legislative office or even be elected governor of Kentucky. She can form an advocacy group etc. She has options. She is choosing the loser's path tho. She has no legal footing to stand on. She will lose this legal case. She will hand her enemies a quick and easy victory. If you want it fight this, than get a legal team together, find a better case, and fight. Her case is a loser.

Need you guys to answer the earlier question...why is it OK for Obama or democrats to choose which laws to enforce; actual written laws; but not a KY County Clerk...when, there is in fact, no written law to this effect. So I guess you are saying Obama should resign if he want enforce immigration laws?

Need you guys to answer the earlier question...why is it OK for Obama or democrats to choose which laws to enforce; actual written laws; but not a KY County Clerk...when, there is in fact, no written law to this effect. So I guess you are saying Obama should resign if he want enforce immigration laws?

This question has been answered multiple times in this thread and, in reality. If you look around, you will notice, these issues end up in a courtroom before a judge, or judges. It has been in all the normal media outlets. Perhaps you should pay more attention to the details and, put less effort into absorbing the inane rhetoric.

In a perfect world all elected officials would enforce all laws enacted. The world isnt perfect. I support the immigration laws as they are enacted. Wish we would enforce them. But, marriage licenses do not equal international policy.

Trademarking God was a nice touch. ;)

Wow, lots of vitrol in here aimed at someone who holds a belief that until recently was just about everyone's view (including the current ass clown in the WH). It's a shame she's not an illegal alien felon...should could be on the street.

Has nothing to do with her beliefs.

Wow, lots of vitrol in here aimed at someone who holds a belief that until recently was just about everyone's view ...

Are you referring to the belief that lawful orders of a judge/court of law are to be obeyed, or the belief that one should do the job for which one is paid? Those two beliefs have indeed been the beliefs of just about everyone for most of our history and still are today.

For those asking why she cannot be or has not been fired:

Question: Why hasn’t Kim Davis been fired for refusing to issue marriage licenses and defying court orders?

Answer: She is an elected official and can only be removed from office for impeachment.

Q: How would she be impeached?

A: The Kentucky House of Representatives would have to charge her with an impeachable offense and the Senate would then try her.

Q: Is that likely?

A: The Kentucky Equality Federation, a gay rights group, has called for Gov. Steve Beshear to call a special session of the General Assembly to pursue impeachment. But Beshear, citing costs, has already declined to convene a special session to consider emergency legislation that would accommodate Davis and other clerks by having state government issue marriage licenses. Also, Bluegrass Polls show most Kentucky voters oppose gay marriage and support accommodating Davis. Beshear declined to comment Tuesday.

http://www.usatoday....-case/71567812/

1) Nice point on the "common belief" issue.

2) Maybe she will ask to be impeached now that she's sitting in jail. The only other way she can get out is to start issuing those licenses.

I would tend to think that way as well.

Knowing I am as screwed up as anyone has taught me grace for others, not unrelenting judgment.

I am sooo tempted.....

Get no argument from me....Sorry, serving alcohol is part of the job, if you cannot do that, we have nothing further to discuss, have a nice day.....Bye bye.....later, don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out.....

And I agree with you guys. She knows that her job is to follow the law. Even if she doesn't agree with it, the law is the law. She should adhere to it or resign.

And I agree with you guys. She knows that her job is to follow the law. Even if she doesn't agree with it, the law is the law. She should adhere to it or resign.

Says one of the few that claimed the Special Forces guy was right to beat up the Afghan Commander for incidents that went against his personal beliefs. Speaking of that, I could've sworn that EMT added another article added about that today?

Archived